BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Membership Questions? Post them here.  (Read 43666 times)

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
Re: 2013 Membership Questions? Post them here.
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 09:43:54 AM »
There are several open rides on the Calendar for you to attend as well as CORE rides. So far there are only a couple X rides on the Calendar.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline jkDave

• Visitor
  • Hey look, a trail...
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 09:51:15 AM »
I'm going to throw out a suggestion, feel free to ignore it (just my $.02).  It seems there is a feeling that the 'invite only' will turn into a popularity contest.  If this is the objection, and the staff would like to establish a level of build/experience, then why not establish a set of measurable criteria to determine who makes that level.  For example, pick a difficult trail and have periodic "proving rides" to gain entrance.  Require proof of trail mechanical savvy through an administered test of some kind.  This would prevent the interpretation that acceptance could be based on anything but skill.

To be clear, I am just offering a suggestion.  If it is based on build/skill I wouldn't get in, and if it is based on popularity I wouldn't get in; so I am not trying to set up a standard I can achieve. I am only offering a different method of achieving the same goal.

Dave
Dave

onlygoon

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 09:56:15 AM »
It's seems that question is coming up a lot about popularity.  And seems that there are a lot of people wondering the same thing. I would like to know cause I enjoyed windrock and had a blast. I see there are a lot of open rides but seems the most enjoyable ones are for X members??

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 10:12:27 AM »
Ok.  

my  .02   dave had a good suggestion, not sure how to identify the trail etc..  some ppl like me get lucky but i do like the "established set of Measurable criteria"   thats the big problem

but, part of me feels like some of that is subjective.   as you go on more rides people get a feel, some days a capable rider can have a bad day, pick a bad line, that does not mean
they should not be in the core-x.   I think there should be a measure of subjectivity, and part of me needs to have some faith that this will not become a popular contest of BF.   because
if it starts to become a group of only BF, it will fail and they will lose members.  im pretty sure its happend before with other clubs, once they start becoming a BF fest, ppl move on.

Im glad they allow ppl to talk about it.   

again, just my .02  hope i did not offend anyone, and if i did.  i will be at the nxt ride, and ill bring my boxing gloves, we can then settle it like men.   </ROCKIN/>

i also enjoyed windrock.  i will be going back.  not with the core-x  , because i dont want to hold them back, but there are tons of stuff i can do at windrock, maybe
the core can form a small group to go and that way not hold the core-x group back?  just a thought
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Online bjeep

• Visitor
  • Do one thing today to make tomorrow better.
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 10:18:22 AM »
Sounds like they can handle it. It is what it is.
Lots of other rides to attend. No need to beat a
dead horse.  {cheers2}
Marty

onlygoon

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 10:23:26 AM »
I am with bjeep on this one.

Offline unwantedstray

• Visitor
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »
There are several open rides on the Calendar for you to attend as well as CORE rides. So far there are only a couple X rides on the Calendar.

I see that. But what if there is a ride during the year that I really would like to make, and I am not a CORE X member? This means that I miss out on going with this group to the park? That does not seem right since I paid to be in a club and wheel with them.

I agree that there needs to be some kind of  grouping based on experience and skill, maybe not by putting members to a test though.  I have been around long enough to know that there are parks and trails that are more advanced than others and yes some people should probably not attend. But I think that that all of it is at the drivers descretion. To me the CORE X seems to be a popularity contest or a degraded Trail Leader.

If there are some parks that people want to attend and only invite certain people that is fine. But is should not be posted as a "Club" ride. MOAB for instance. There are only a few people that have the time and money to make that trip. Does that mean that those people are the best of the best. No not at all. I think most people in this club would love to go to MOAB at some point in time. The "Club" rides should be to parks that the majority of people can enjoy. Once at the park, groups can be assembled based on ability for the enjoyment of everyone there, at the descretion of the Trail Leaders. The trail leaders should take turns leading some of the less experienced/ less set up rigs, so that they too can enjoy the park.  Sacrifice is part of leadership.

Zack Gilbert
2005 Rubicon "Agent Orange"

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: 2013 Membership Questions? Post them here.
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »
I don't think there should be a skill level set. That's ridiculous. How else do you expect people to learn. If your not willing to help people out and learn then the off-road community isn't for you. The off-road community helps one another and teaches one another. If you want a buggy roll out (which very very few have them, then send a freaking pm). Don't exclude someone because they don't have an "x". No one on her knew everything about wheeling or wrench turning but where taught over time.
I know toward summer there is a Moab ride and it's not posted that I saw. Moab is not some "x" skill set. I have heard of stock jeeps doing a lot of it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 11:05:13 AM »

Driving skills and vehicle capabilities are important.  This club now has three levels of membership which does not exclude at all, it is meant to include, help provide all with good experiences...AND allow those that want to learn and grow in the sport the ability to do so.  

We have a nice full calendar of 12 rides; 5 are open to all members, 5 are CORE member rides and two are CORE X rides.  Lots of opportunities to ride.  Don't forget, Ad-Hoc rides happen all the time too.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »
The calendar is certainly liquid. With enough notice, if the CORE would like to see a certain park on the calendar, then just make the suggestion to the staff, if enough people want it, then we can make it happen. CORE is the life blood of the club and always will be. Let us know the parks you want on the calendars and they will be there.  

Think of it like applying for a job, you can take a test to see if you got the knowledge to do the work, but in the end it takes a real world evaluation to get the position. We are not looking for just guys with a built rig or who has the most friends. Experience, attitude, aptitude and especially capabilities will all be considered.

I see that. But what if there is a ride during the year that I really would like to make, and I am not a CORE X member? This means that I miss out on going with this group to the park? That does not seem right since I paid to be in a club and wheel with them.

I agree that there needs to be some kind of  grouping based on experience and skill, maybe not by putting members to a test though.  I have been around long enough to know that there are parks and trails that are more advanced than others and yes some people should probably not attend. But I think that that all of it is at the drivers descretion. To me the CORE X seems to be a popularity contest or a degraded Trail Leader.

If there are some parks that people want to attend and only invite certain people that is fine. But is should not be posted as a "Club" ride. MOAB for instance. There are only a few people that have the time and money to make that trip. Does that mean that those people are the best of the best. No not at all. I think most people in this club would love to go to MOAB at some point in time. The "Club" rides should be to parks that the majority of people can enjoy. Once at the park, groups can be assembled based on ability for the enjoyment of everyone there, at the descretion of the Trail Leaders. The trail leaders should take turns leading some of the less experienced/ less set up rigs, so that they too can enjoy the park.  Sacrifice is part of leadership.

No CORE rides have been removed from the Calendar, so I don't quite understand what your saying.

X rides are additional content and they will be the tougher & further trails, not trails chosen to suit a plethora of rigs.

Buggies & some trailered rigs cannot enjoy FS rides but we still offer them even though they exclude a group of guys on here, do we not? We are catering to a specific groups needs. X is similar in this aspect.

No one is saying this group is the BEST of anything, just simply something different.

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »
I don't think there should be a skill level set. That's ridiculous. How else do you expect people to learn. If your not willing to help people out and learn then the off-road community isn't for you. The off-road community helps one another and teaches one another. If you want a buggy roll out (which very very few have them, then send a freaking pm). Don't exclude someone because they don't have an "x". No one on her knew everything about wheeling or wrench turning but where taught over time.
I know toward summer there is a Moab ride and it's not posted that I saw. Moab is not some "x" skill set. I have heard of stock jeeps doing a lot of it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

What would be ridiculous is having a stock jeeper with little experience follow some experienced guys through Lions Den or the Gauntlet or up School Bus or put them on RBD, etc. The only thing he/she will learn is that the whole trip was a mistake, and will most likely not attend another event.

We expect people to learn on the open rides, and if they feel confident enough, then join CORE and really get out there and explore what the club has to offer. We don't expect anyone to learn on a ride that is way over their head or their rigs capabilities, that is just ignorant.

I advise you to get to know more about this club and its history. Come on some rides with us before you tell us what doesn't work here or what you perceive to be the attitude of the club. This club has levels developed to grow the drivers and their abilities. As they grow there are opportunities to get more involved within the club. We are far from exclusive and offer the most diverse experiences over any other club in the South. The other clubs have failed because they do not offer a well balanced experience for all types of riders and they are not active.  {cheers2}

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

onlygoon

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:11 AM »
L

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM