BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Opinions for Off-Roading Automatic or Manual  (Read 866 times)

Offline gint2

• Visitor
  • RAINMAN - 18436572
Re: Opinions for Off-Roading Automatic or Manual
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 05:05:37 PM »
You have had both... is this just a thread to stir the pot?? JK 

I would throw this out there. Me, myself, I test drove a JK x and didn't like the clutch feel, I test drove my Rubi and loved it. I didn't have a Rubi budget but the deal they gave me (I think they screwed themselves) was too good to pass up for the Rubi. With that being said, I would have to agree with some of the above comments about manuals. However, with the gearing and t/case of a Rubi, I love my manual, y'all seen me wheel, this is my first Jeep for all intents and purposes. When wheeling, it feels natural to work the clutch and shifter. I have no problem stopping on a climb or drop... okay, sometimes but if it was easy, soccer moms would be out there doing it too.  Not being a smart a$$ but I like to drive my Jeep, not ride it. 

With all that being said, if we were to sell our 4Runner and get a 4dr JK, we would get an auto.  But I am not giving up my 2dr Rubi manual.
JK-AJ

Offline mrmike1964

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:17:31 PM »
Hmm

[attachment deleted by admin - older than 465 days]
Mike

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
 </LMAO/>  Manual. I would not know what to do with an auto on the rocks. It takes more skill to wheel a manny ;D and do it with style {popcorn} It is not for everyone. If you gear properly and get a clutch worth a dang, you will love it. gears and clutch boys, gears and clutch {peek}
I've grown tired of this.

onlygoon

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »
I had both and I now own a manual my two cents may not be worth much but te 2013 jk feels like it has more power with a manual over automatic I drove both in rubi and non rubi I drive mine everyday from Atlanta to school and back been stuck in traffic it don't bother me even though I am learning how much clutch works off road I enjoy it more. I have a better feel of what I am doing off road different feel. But hey it's just me and what Do I know ha ha lol

Offline Skandalous

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »
Have always been a manual guy,  especially with my cars.  This being my first Jeep I had to go with a manual just because its what I prefer.  Its a good workout and is more technical imo.  I too dont know much but I am also willing to bet as I get older Ill be singing a different tune but Ill be in a manual as long as possible.  Like someone said before I too wouldnt know what to do with myself with no clutch pedal  </LMAO/>
Thomas ,  Annie , Gibson and Baily and Tonkacon.

Offline Uncle Randy

• Visitor
  • Cherish every minute
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »
Where can I get a bolt in Auto?? //OLDSKOOL//  </LMAO/>
Randy
'06TJ
Treekiller

onlygoon

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 09:38:32 PM »
Nice Ryan ha ha ha awesome

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 12:31:32 AM »
My choice was strictly based on street driving. My last two vehicles were 6spd sports cars, I was ready for a break. Glad I have it for wheeling too. Let's me focus on spotters, lines, etc.
Jay

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »
I love manual transmissions for autox and road racing. I even drag raced with a manual transmisson for years.

My Tj started out as a 5 speed manual but once the axles went to dana 60's and the tires got to 40's I swaped it to an auto and have been much happier ever since. It is alot easier to handle on the crazy stuff with one foot on the brake and one on the gas.

I like both and know that both are doable off road, just that one is easier to handle.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Texsun

• Visitor
  • Herro
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
I have wheeled both, I currently prefer AUTO since my wife drives and I spot. However I love how manuals actually allow you to creep up/down hills. My Jeep has the 1-2 selection but I wish it would stay in 1st a bit longer when climbing.
Drew, Cassie, and Hunter
99 XJ thingy

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 01:29:19 PM »
I have wheeled both, I currently prefer AUTO since my wife drives and I spot. However I love how manuals actually allow you to creep up/down hills. My Jeep has the 1-2 selection but I wish it would stay in 1st a bit longer when climbing.

When you go down to 1 on the auto, it should not change gears.

Offline Texsun

• Visitor
  • Herro
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »
If I am creeping it doesnt change gears, but when the RPMs reach about 3000-3200 it goes to 2nd. As soon as the gas is released it slams back into 1st
Drew, Cassie, and Hunter
99 XJ thingy

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM