BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Gulches Apr 6th  (Read 5241 times)

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
Re: Gulches Apr 6th
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 01:53:42 PM »
If a rig is never going to be driven on the street a spool is the strongest solution for the rear.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

BigJerm

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
Detroit locker. Always on, less parts, never hear of failures... or many anyway.

Yep locker all the way. No limit slip, no selectable, just a good ol auto locker style. My jeep wont see much street anymore. As of now it drives about 10 miles every 2 weeks or so. Made it all the way to buckhead the other weekend so it needs a good rest before i take it out again... lol

And ben... Its still at 30,XXX miles. Ill make it to 31k one day  ;D

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
For all the nay sayers, just run a lunch box in the rear. I put 60+ miles a day on the old jeep and the spartan is always in the rear doing its job, just waiting for me to hop a curb {peek}. Very well mannered on the street, except for pulling the front tire off the ground occasionally, might have more to do with whats up front though.  </LMAO/>

Of course you will hear more negative opinions from the folks w/o. Just giving some first hand experience. {popcorn}
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Jerm, Jerm, Jerm... you need a rear locker.

Yep and now that I have a truck and soon a trailer i am going the cheap route. Axle shafts and auto locker in the rear

Why not a front Rubicon locker? When it's not locked it's a little more street friendly verse a Detroit. The front is stronger than the rear due to rear having the LSD feature.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »
Just swapped out Spartan in the front for a Eaton E-locker
like I got in the rear. Have to admit it is nice flipping a switch
for both lockers now!!!
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

BigJerm

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
Why not a front Rubicon locker? When it's not locked it's a little more street friendly verse a Detroit. The front is stronger than the rear due to rear having the LSD feature.

I forgot that works. How much is stock rubicon locker? Not to mention I got to wire it up and all that stuff. An auto locker is fine for a rig that drives less than 5 miles a week on the road. I don't need a street friendly rig so price and install come into play here more than having selection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 08:26:30 PM »
have had 2 different rear axles both with detroits. Never gave me one bit of trouble and probably put 40,000 miles or more on my old one. Manual takes a bit to get used to.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
Re: Re: Re: Gulches Apr 6th
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 08:37:22 PM »
have had 2 different rear axles both with detroits. Never gave me one bit of trouble and probably put 40,000 miles or more on my old one. Manual takes a bit to get used to.

I run Detroit lockers in all my rear axles.  They are the most reliable locker on the market. I ran a Eaton E-locker in the front of my last jeep. Loved it!! Flip the switch and your locked. Never had a problem running 40" tires. It did take a second once the tire started to spin then it would completely lock.

I like the lockrite or aussie up front and a Detroit rear personally for JK's

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 09:02:09 PM »
I stopped in Allsouth today and talked to Danny. I'll be getting Aussie lockers front and rear for the CJ and one piece alxles. Got a Mallory HEI distributor and Fuel injection coming for the 304 {cheers2}
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 09:06:16 PM »
I did the same today Bear, his suggestion for what I wanted to do was a powertrax front locker and get better axles for my JK first, then upgrade the rear with a Detroit (as Ben said above).  My big decision is to re-gear all at once while the diffs are already taken apart to 5.13's and do the front and rear alltogether.
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 09:39:05 PM »
Hey man it was nice meeting you and the family last weekend. I'm going to do both at the same time. I'll already have the jeep down so I'll do them both. I'll go into withdrawls if it's down to long.... Probably will do the spring over at the same time. He had one on the shelf today for the front, almost walked out with it......lol I'll do the work myself so I'll wait till I have everything together then tear into it and knowing me won't stop till its back together

Bear

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
And the first place I'm going is back over to Bell and go to the top </BEER/>

Bear

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK