BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Gulches April 5-6-7 pictures, video and carnage  (Read 22644 times)

Offline RD Slyter

• Visitor
Re: Gulches April 5-6-7 pictures, video and carnage
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2013, 06:12:42 AM »
I mite have to check that out myself.
Ryan and Dawn Slyter; Grafenwhere Germany

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Re: Gulches April 5-6-7 pictures, video and carnage
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2013, 06:24:22 AM »
For a TJ

Sent off camber

BigJerm

Re: Re: Gulches April 5-6-7 pictures, video and carnage
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2013, 06:45:49 AM »
I have a rough country tie rod on my LJ and it has held fine. Dont wait to bend it to buy one... it will be a long ride home

sent from my dumb phone

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2013, 07:30:55 AM »
Carnage... well beside busting all but 2 clips to hold on my L/F flare, I think my front axle is tweaked.... and by tweaked, I think it's bent. Not sure yet on that but need to get it on an alignment rack to check it... I think.

I had the ESP light come on after leaving Gulches. I just pulled the code and it appears it's just because my steering wheel is so far off center from the tie rod being so bent. Not a hard fix, I just need to figure out if anyone makes a high steer tie rod for the JK. It looks like there is only a D/link flip but no Tie Rod flip so I will most likely go with a RK Tie Rod.

I was thinking... what other vehicle besides a Jeep (Wrangler) can you buy, get strangers waving at you as soon as you drive off the car lot, wheel it for days and drive it back home and still get 17+ mpg. Man I love my Jeep!

AJ, It is hard top beat the RK Tie Rod.  Solid Aluminum and will flat out take a beating.  Mine has flexed all the way to the pumpkin on more than one occasion and it pops right back with no permanent bend. There are a number of others that are Chromoly; synergy and currie.  But I am completely satisfied with my RK.

No true high steer conversion for the JK until you go with a totally different axle.  The high steer that most talk about is the drag link flip.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2013, 08:59:38 AM »
I sleeved my TJ tierod along time ago and have smacked it on everything (shown by the many scars, scratches and coats of paint). Its still very straight. I have given away all of my spare tie rods and sold a HD Rugged Ridge tie rod (back up spare for my sleeved tie rod) to someone on a ride. This did not cost me anything but time. I would like to flip it soon, but I dont see replacing it anytime soon.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Re: Gulches April 5-6-7 pictures, video and carnage
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2013, 09:22:50 AM »
I guess I hit a big rock. But this wasn't just one hit, my tie rod has been in sad shape for some time.

Here is my hwy avg... It does drop to 16.5 when I get over 75-80.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Computers lie.  What's the hand calculated mileage? Did you change the computer set up for tire size and if you did a regear? Otherwise the computer won't be right.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2013, 05:17:48 PM »
70 mph...in a jeep..man if mine gets over 55 mph I get a nose bleed, and we won't even talk about MPG...10 maybe
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Offline gint2

• Visitor
  • RAINMAN - 18436572
Re: Re: Re: Gulches April 5-6-7 pictures, video and carnage
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2013, 08:28:09 PM »
I guess I hit a big rock. But this wasn't just one hit, my tie rod has been in sad shape for some time.

Here is my hwy avg... It does drop to 16.5 when I get over 75-80.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Computers lie.  What's the hand calculated mileage? Did you change the computer set up for tire size and if you did a regear? Otherwise the computer won't be right.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Always got to be a naysayer in the crowd....  Lets take them one by one

Computers lie. - since your reading this on a computer... it's a lie
What's the hand calculated mileage? 16.5 - 16.9 combined city/hwy
Did you change the computer set up for tire size and if you did a regear? Yes, Superchip adjustment for tires (still has me 5mph fast, speedo 70 = moving 65). Did not regear still running factory 4.10
Otherwise the computer won't be right. - Slightly off but not 7 mpg
JK-AJ

Offline gint2

• Visitor
  • RAINMAN - 18436572
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2013, 08:31:51 PM »
Carnage... well beside busting all but 2 clips to hold on my L/F flare, I think my front axle is tweaked.... and by tweaked, I think it's bent. Not sure yet on that but need to get it on an alignment rack to check it... I think.

I had the ESP light come on after leaving Gulches. I just pulled the code and it appears it's just because my steering wheel is so far off center from the tie rod being so bent. Not a hard fix, I just need to figure out if anyone makes a high steer tie rod for the JK. It looks like there is only a D/link flip but no Tie Rod flip so I will most likely go with a RK Tie Rod.

I was thinking... what other vehicle besides a Jeep (Wrangler) can you buy, get strangers waving at you as soon as you drive off the car lot, wheel it for days and drive it back home and still get 17+ mpg. Man I love my Jeep!

AJ, It is hard top beat the RK Tie Rod.  Solid Aluminum and will flat out take a beating.  Mine has flexed all the way to the pumpkin on more than one occasion and it pops right back with no permanent bend. There are a number of others that are Chromoly; synergy and currie.  But I am completely satisfied with my RK.

No true high steer conversion for the JK until you go with a totally different axle.  The high steer that most talk about is the drag link flip.

Thanks Tony! I already did the d/link flip so going with the RK Tie Rod sounds like the best option since Chromoly will bend and the RK springs back. I just wasn't sure if there was an option to raise the Tie Rod, I didn't find anything on that unless you have different knuckles.

JK-AJ

dave

« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2013, 08:35:46 PM »
What a great ride everyone! Truly enjoyed it and can't wait to get back. See you at Beasley Knob.
Thomas, Sorry about the delay with the video, I need to get the video off of daves phone and onto my mac. I will try to get that rolling tonight. I swear I won't forget! I am not sure how to load it on here but I will work on it for sure.

~Kelly

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2013, 08:48:55 PM »
Who had pics from when I started getting a little tipsy on the end of TNT?
Jay

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:04 PM »
We gotta get you in a class with jason nix so he can show you how to make it through tnt </LMAO/> just imagine how easy it would have been if he was driving your JK
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM