BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Installing a UCF T-case skid  (Read 375 times)

Offline jkDave

• Visitor
  • Hey look, a trail...
Installing a UCF T-case skid
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:25:02 AM »
I bought a UCF t-case skid to replace the stock belly pan.  I pulled out the stock pan easily enough, but when I start to jack up the UCF skid, it is pushing the t-case up towards the tub and created an awful rear drive shaft angle coming out of the t-case.  I am still about an inch short of having the skid jacked up to the mounting points.  I am afraid to try to lift it any further.

I have a 1.75" body lift on my 1997 TJ as well as a 2" suspension lift.  Anyone have any experience installing one of these?  What have I missed?

Thanks for the advice!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 03:12:42 PM by jkDave »
Dave

BigJerm

Re: Re: Installing a UCF T-case skip
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »
Motor mount lift. Which skid did you go with? If its a high clearance skid you will also need new control arms to adjust your pinion angle

Sent from S3

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Installing a UCF T-case skip
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 01:47:47 PM »
You will need and sye and adjustable control arms.

If you take a ratchet strap under the t case output and wrap the ends around the frame it will hold everything up making it easier to move the skid plate around.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline jkDave

• Visitor
  • Hey look, a trail...
Re: Installing a UCF T-case skid
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 09:45:04 PM »
Thanks guys.  The model I have is:

HD Transfer Case Skid Plate for '97-'02 Jeep Wrangler TJ (No Body-Lift Req'd)(Carbon Steel Plate)

I guess I'll need to buy a few more parts to finish this upgrade off.  Thanks for the information!
Dave

Offline Skandalous

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:07:23 AM »
Dave check out my build thread,  or the post I put up under body armor called " so you want a belly-up",  it tells you everything you will need to get it done right.  Honestly though because you have the 1" body lift I would return the plate you have and get the lowest one they offer.  Grab the motor mount lift, low pro transfer case mount,  sye and driveshaft as well.  They say you can get away with only replacing the lower control arms with adjustable but I found it way easier to get upper and lower to set your pinion angle.  If you have any questions just give me a holla,  The process is still fresh in my mind. 
Thomas ,  Annie , Gibson and Baily and Tonkacon.

Offline Skandalous

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 08:09:14 AM »

BigJerm

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:54:29 AM »
I agree with that. No point in doing all the work to get just a little clearance when with the same amount of work and a different skid you can get A LOT more.

Offline jkDave

• Visitor
  • Hey look, a trail...
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »
Thomas, I was reading your thread after I read Jerm and Mortalis's comments.  Very good write-up.  I bought the skid from another club member, so I can't return it.  I guess I should have researched it a little before I pulled the trigger.  No big deal, i'll just have to learn a little more about the jeep than I had planned for this little project (I really thought it was a direct bolt on swap).  For now I'll put the factory skid back on read a little more, and start collecting parts.  I'll give you a shout for sure when I get everything ready to go.  Should be fun!

Thanks
Dave
Dave

Offline Skandalous

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »
I gota say Im glad I went with the setup Ive got.  By far the best mod for any TJ. 

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM