BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: 6/15 : CHOCCOLOCCO ORVP * PICS/VIDS/CARNAGE  (Read 16771 times)

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: 6/15 : CHOCCOLOCCO ORVP * PICS/VIDS/CARNAGE
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2013, 10:17:38 PM »
Wow that's nuts! Glad your ok Ben! I have a set of spacers on mine to and when I changed out my front rotors and calipers last weekend I had to use a cheater bar and jump on it to loosen the small acorn nuts that come with the spacers. When I originally installed  I used red locktight because this same thing happened to my buddy's old CJ

Swiped while swerving
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2013, 08:39:07 AM »
It's a mystery to me. I saw the spacer and the bolts and the strange thing is that none of the bolts looks wallowed or damaged on the threads or the outside. Seems like if they were coming loose they would get damaged, especially on the threads. 

I used spacers on my TJ for 2 years. Have had them on my JK for about a year. I check them at tire rotation and any other time I have a wheel off. Use thread locker and proper torque. I have never even found one bolt even slightly loose.

Just strange.

The only thing I could come up with was that maybe the spacer was not completely centered on the lugs when tightened,  and then when the tire was mounted and subjected to stresses of driving, the spacers shifted which left the acorn nuts loose and ultimately capable of coming off.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2013, 09:04:26 AM »
It's anybody's guess as to what caused it. But makes me wonder with only a few weeks old on the Jeep and maybe 200 or so miles on them. Wish I would have checked them before I left the house, but no reason to. Eh, atleast it is making everyone check theres now  ;D Save another Jeep maybe.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline RD Slyter

• Visitor
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2013, 10:51:45 AM »
Good night man!!! That's just one of those things you don't see every day. Really lame ya gota make all these repairs but again DAMN glad everyone's ok man. I'd probably still be cleaning my shorts after that one.
Ryan and Dawn Slyter; Grafenwhere Germany

Offline prjohnson

• Visitor
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2013, 10:54:59 AM »
That sucks Ben. Before I got my spacers, I read a lot of bad reviews of wheels falling off. I turned a deaf ear knowing you ran them on your canyons for years without any issues. I figured most of those folks did something wrong. Now yours fell off!  :bs)  It really makes me worry about running them now.
Glad you're fine, without much damage. Things could have turned out a lot worse!
Perry

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2013, 11:21:42 AM »
Yeah, ran them on the stock wheels for probably 2 years and hate to say it, maybe checked them 2 times?! So it is a complete mystery. Now If I was a newb at all this I would probably say it was me making a mistake... but it goes to show even guys that have alot of knowledge with the sport can still get bit in the arse from time to time. I will be ready for Harlan... IF Allsouth can get the right rotor in! I think they are on their 4th now that came in wrong... WTF Somebody not paying attention when sending them to AS. Not too many waggys out there to get it wrong. 6 lug, 5 lug... nuff said. ;D
I've grown tired of this.

Offline BlueJew

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2013, 11:00:42 AM »
Did the spacer come off attached to the wheel or did it stay on the axle?  I also used the lower "lock" red loctite on my spacer nuts but none on my wheel nuts. 
Blue Wes

Offline gint2

• Visitor
  • RAINMAN - 18436572
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2013, 11:48:52 AM »
That's whacked. I have the spidertrax (sp?) spacers. I actually gave up on using the locktite on them cause the lugs were seized on. Then again I use an impact not just any impact but my big granny Mac Impact. When I used locktite I ended up busting 2 Mac sockets and shearing the head off my 3' breaker bar. Now this reminds me... I need to check mine since someone else worked on my rig last.  It's sad but I only trust me, and if something goes astray I can't blame no one else. 

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
JK-AJ

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »
Loctite won't hold tight enough to shear a breaker bar, so I'd guess they were rusted on. 

I'm still confused about how a wheel w/wo a spacer could come off with no severe wobble beforehand.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline BlueJew

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2013, 05:29:49 PM »
Loctite won't hold tight enough to shear a breaker bar, so I'd guess they were rusted on. 

I'm still confused about how a wheel w/wo a spacer could come off with no severe wobble beforehand.

Only one explanation...magic.  Glad you are ok Ben.  I take my tires off and rotate them when I do oil changes or have them off for working on the jeep and I have never had any trouble getting the bolts that hold the spacers on....I use a torch to counteract the red loctite.
Blue Wes

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »
I think Ben said he ran them for 2 years on his old wheels so its probably not the issue here, but remember that lockright if it does its job just holds the nut in position on the stud or bolt.  All studs/ bolts/ etc elongate when torqued, which is what provides the clamping force. There is always some plastic deformity that occurs in high torque situations on new studs. This is commonly noticed when putting on brand new u-bolts, well if you can remember back to the leaf spring days.... ;D

Anyway, glad you are ok Ben...talk about worse case scenario, hwy speeds and the front wheel!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:20:47 AM by Scott F. »

dave

« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2013, 12:40:52 PM »
Ben, Thank goodness you and your daughter are alright!
I finally have a few photos and videos of Bobby's group at Chocco and wanted to share them for Alex, Adam, AJ and Thomas. I hope this link works, please let me know if you have trouble. It was a wonderful weekend!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/113881611779639227918/albums/5896041788254613393?authkey=CP_Go9K7o8nMRQ

Kelly

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM