BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Tray Mountain  (Read 5217 times)

Offline bear991

• Visitor
Tray Mountain
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »
We rode over to Tray mountain today. I was surprised how much worse the road has become. Several trees down and the ruts are much deeper. Had a good time on the ride and met some nice folks with a new JKU from Loganville. Told him about GATR and sent him to Allsouth for his upgrades.
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
Re: Tray Mountain
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 08:12:03 AM »
Is it still passable? I've seen posts on the "other" forum that have said the downed trees have made it impassable. I thought about heading up there a few days ago with a chainsaw.

Tray is USFS property correct? Just want to make sure it's OK to cut downed trees.  //CHAINSAW//
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 08:25:59 AM »
Marc the trees have been moved enough to make it passable. It is USFS and I thought about going back over next week and finish cutting them up and opening up the road more. One tree that is almost down on the road will need some special care when taking it down. It's a hang up and most likely will require two more trees taken down to clear it. I imagine any strong winds that come up and it will be across the road. It's probably 25+inch tree so it would be a handful. What surprised me was how much deeper the ruts across the top are which made it fun to me but the wife wasn't real pleased //;D//

Bear

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 12:06:41 PM »
Marc the trees have been moved enough to make it passable. It is USFS and I thought about going back over next week and finish cutting them up and opening up the road more. One tree that is almost down on the road will need some special care when taking it down. It's a hang up and most likely will require two more trees taken down to clear it. I imagine any strong winds that come up and it will be across the road. It's probably 25+inch tree so it would be a handful. What surprised me was how much deeper the ruts across the top are which made it fun to me but the wife wasn't real pleased //;D//

That's what happens when you get 20+ inches of rain in a few months. Hopefully it won't get so bad that the forest service doesn't close it down.

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline MilitantXJ

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »
We should just plan a maintenance trip, I'm sure we could get a few people together to ride up and clear it
CJ, Nikki and Diesel (with Paisley on the way)

http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=11168.0

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 03:24:33 PM »
We should just plan a maintenance trip, I'm sure we could get a few people together to ride up and clear it

I'm up for that! What would really be great is if we could get with the USFS and show them that we are responsible "stake holders". Get the word out and get some positive PR instead of all the negative stuff.

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 04:32:02 PM »
I'm all for that idea. Once you cross the top and get to the point where the Appalachian Trail crosses,if you turn to the left and head towards Helen couple miles down the road a Huge tree has fallen across the road. At some point it was cut in two and somewhat pushed to the side. The problem is the way you go around what is left of the tree,it's creating a big depression off the side of the road and will most likely become a big mud hole or possibly wash the road out at some point. I'm sure the USFS would be thankful of any help at all.

Bear

Offline MilitantXJ

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »
How big of a rig do you need to get up there
CJ, Nikki and Diesel (with Paisley on the way)

http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=11168.0

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »
How big of a rig do you need to get up there

Not big at all. These are forest service roads. The biggest obstacle is the ruts and downed trees. This area has been hit hard in the last few years with at least two tornadoes and several bad storms.

Most stock 4x4 vehicles can make it as long as you are smart.

Offline Oscar_Mike 2013

• Oscar Mike OG
  • Visitor
  • We might be friends, but I will still correct you!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »
I'm in.
So new to this that I don't even know what to ask!!!!
Richard Russell

Offline brentdavis

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »
I rode up Tray last Wednesday....  Other than almost tearing up my soft top from low hanging limbs it was easily passable...  The big tree that bear speaks of is still hung up and would be a lot of work to take down...
Brent Davis

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM