BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: WANTED: Metal fabrication / rocksliders / skids  (Read 1369 times)

grifenhagen

WANTED: Metal fabrication / rocksliders / skids
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:33:08 PM »
i am looking for someone to make me a pair of sliders for my truck.
how they look isnt too important to me. i want them to perform and hold up well.
the set that All Pro makes is 299.99, so id like it to be less than that of course.
i dont care if its square tubing or round tubing. whichever is easier for you.
using them with a high jack is a must, so they would need to be welded on (i think)
paint/powdercoat isnt essential. i can throw some bedliner on them.
i also would like some skid plates made, but that can wait for now unless the prices are really good.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: WANTED: Metal fabrication / rocksliders / skids
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:51:54 PM »
how they look isnt too important to me. i want them to perform and hold up well.
the set that All Pro makes is 299.99, so id like it to be less than that of course.
using them with a high jack is a must, so they would need to be welded on (i think)
i also would like some skid plates made, but that can wait for now unless the prices are really good.

Is there a reason (or set of reasons) you do not want to buy from known good manufacturers?  If it is quality concerns, typically you can buy your way out of those.  If it is money, typically you get what you pay for.  If you're worried about getting them welded on, there are shops that can do that for you. 

FWIW, I would avoid weld on parts if you have any opportunity to do so.  It will limit your ability to sell the vehicle to which they're attached (slightly) and may make selling them separately impossible.  I think someone else already mentioned something technical about making the frame metal more brittle, so that is something to consider as well.  I know when I was planning to build my own sliders I ran into more than one thread that said putting sliders on a TJ directly connected to the frame would make the frame too stiff.

Finally, GATR is a great place for information and idea sharing, but take a look at some of the vehicle specific sites for more vehicle specific discussions (duh), especially with regard to experience with things such as weld-on vs bold-on rock sliders. 
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

grifenhagen

Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 12:06:40 AM »

Is there a reason (or set of reasons) you do not want to buy from known good manufacturers?  If it is quality concerns, typically you can buy your way out of those.  If it is money, typically you get what you pay for.  If you're worried about getting them welded on, there are shops that can do that for you. 

FWIW, I would avoid weld on parts if you have any opportunity to do so.  It will limit your ability to sell the vehicle to which they're attached (slightly) and may make selling them separately impossible.  I think someone else already mentioned something technical about making the frame metal more brittle, so that is something to consider as well.  I know when I was planning to build my own sliders I ran into more than one thread that said putting sliders on a TJ directly connected to the frame would make the frame too stiff.

Finally, GATR is a great place for information and idea sharing, but take a look at some of the vehicle specific sites for more vehicle specific discussions (duh), especially with regard to experience with things such as weld-on vs bold-on rock sliders.

All Pro is the one of the only companies I could find that makes sliders for my truck, and I'd like to see if any of the good folks here with metal fabrication experience would be interested in making an extra buck or two to make a set that I would like more than the all pro's that are the only option I currently have. And of course there's the factor of me trying to save as much money as I possibly can, since I'm a full time student and can only work a part time job. 
And I do remember in the other thread where someone mentioned the frame becoming more brittle, but the topic still seemed fuzzy to me, which is why I put in parenthesis "I think" in the original posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM