BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: North GA scenic trail rides - my adventures  (Read 2803 times)

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
North GA scenic trail rides - my adventures
« on: October 25, 2013, 09:09:23 AM »
So my second venture that turned into a nice ride was a ride up behind Amicalola falls to Nimblewill Gap.  My first venture was up Winding Stair Gap, to the ranger training area, pretty self explanatory and very nice.  

I went to Amicalola park for the usual stuff, I don't think you have to pay if you just want to drive on the trail, just tell them, and then on leaving I drove up to the restaurant/lodge area to take the family on our "adventure".  If you continue on the road there you get to a trail named High Shoals Road.

After that you need to be careful to stay to the right at an intersection or you will get into a very narrow trail near a church (that is completely not on the map I dunno).  I do get wigged out finding an undocumented church with little kids playing hide and seek in the graveyard, just a little.  Old man stands there and stares at you...

Once you get to :  Amicaliua road to FS 46 (really the FS 46 part) it becomes very narrow and sketchy.  Near the summit of the mountain you turn right on Nimblewill Gap road and then it becomes mostly rock as you cross the mountain.   Its mandatory to air down here, alot, or its very bouncy ride for your passengers.  I found an odd Korean couple with a brand new 4Runner up here, walking a toy dog, unable to speak any english to me.  This was after the really sketchy section where it appeared that no one had been there for a long long time, so that was reassuring at least.  After the rock section, it returns to a dirt trail and then you begin the ride down.  At the end its a gravel road and very easy to drive.  

It took perhaps 1.5 hours total, due to how rough the rocky sections were, and stopping to take photos.  In the fall once the leaves drop it is going to be very pretty with lots of mountain views.  It was gorgeous early October.

There are alot of nice first come first serve camping spots with cleared areas and camping pads all along the way on Nimblewill gap, before and after the rocky section, and lots of camping also on high shoals road.  The best camp sites probably were near the top of the mountain and then when Nimblewill Creek parallels the road as you come down to the Southeast off the mountain.

[attachment deleted by admin - older than 465 days]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:24:28 AM by jgerhard »
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

BigJerm

Re: North GA scenic trail rides - my adventures
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:18:03 AM »
Nice report. Things must have changed a lot in 2 years. I took my LJ up there on almost bald mud tires and lockers and didn't air down on the rocky parts. I use to go up there with guys running stock JKs and 4Runners and such and no issues. It was nice leisure stroll with a few rocks

Offline gint2

• Visitor
  • RAINMAN - 18436572
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:22:50 AM »
Nice description, I've done that trip too many time to count. And you are correct, the camping up there is very nice, especially close to the top because you can access the park at any time. 

The only thing to note is there is a gate there just before the rocky road that lead to the crash site. The gate appears to have been pulled out of the ground by some people that didn't like it being there. If it ever gets fixed that road may close. Who know??
JK-AJ

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »
Nice report. Things must have changed a lot in 2 years. I took my LJ up there on almost bald mud tires and lockers and didn't air down on the rocky parts. I use to go up there with guys running stock JKs and 4Runners and such and no issues. It was nice leisure stroll with a few rocks
Edited my post, to reflect air down was for comfort, not for making it over obstacles.

Ya don't get me wrong, its not difficult or even actual wheeling, I'm just making sure its clear for any new club members who might get weirded out regarding "Am I supposed to be here, how long will this go on like this?"  Two years ago when I was brand new to this it would have been exciting.  I actually saw some farkhead up there with a freaking honda civic turning around and getting back out.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:10:52 AM by jgerhard »
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »
Nice. 

Did you run a "My Tracks" or "EveryTrail" route of this on your phone you can share?

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 10:12:30 AM »
The FS road is maintained from the lodge to the gate for the Hike Inn, as that how the inn gets its supplies.  From there to the gap it used not to be maintained at all (lots of low lying branches), but that may have changed in the years since I drove up.

When you get to the point where the AT approach trail crosses the road there is a parallel road to the trail that leads to the top of Frosty Mtn, where ppl often camp.  There are the remains of the leg foundations for an old fire tower there.  That road is a mild wheeling opportunity possibly needing 4wd or low gear.

At the gap there are two ways to go:  right leads down towards Dahlonega, and left towards a smaller highway whose name escapes me.  That road used to be very rutted but I believe it's now graded.  I'm not sure where there is a gate nowadays, but the straight ahead portion is part of the approach trail and not a FS road.  It leads up to Black Mtn and then to Springer Mtn where the AT starts.

The church mentioned above used to have services once a month, according to the sign at the entrance trail.  I always said you really had to want to go to church to attend there.  It's not a bad place to have lunch as there are tables and a shelter in the churchyard.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 07:15:49 PM »
Nice ride up there but don't go past the church on that road, Get's very rough up there,many have had to be pulled out by a tow truck. Very pricey
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Re: Re: North GA scenic trail rides - my adventures
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »
Nice ride up there but don't go past the church on that road, Get's very rough up there,many have had to be pulled out by a tow truck. Very pricey

Now we must go...

Sent off camber

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »
Agree we should add it to the FS for the beginning of the year.

Now we must go...

Sent off camber
Bobby

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »
Agree we should add it to the FS for the beginning of the year.

Now we must go...

Sent off camber

THIS!!! LOL
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »
Lol ........ Thought the same thing....That came directly from a park ranger last time I rode up there. He was very adamant about that
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM