OPEN RIDES & EVENTS > Past Rides : Pictures, Discussion, & Carnage

North GA scenic trail rides - my adventures

(1/3) > >>

jgerhard:
So my second venture that turned into a nice ride was a ride up behind Amicalola falls to Nimblewill Gap.  My first venture was up Winding Stair Gap, to the ranger training area, pretty self explanatory and very nice.  

I went to Amicalola park for the usual stuff, I don't think you have to pay if you just want to drive on the trail, just tell them, and then on leaving I drove up to the restaurant/lodge area to take the family on our "adventure".  If you continue on the road there you get to a trail named High Shoals Road.

After that you need to be careful to stay to the right at an intersection or you will get into a very narrow trail near a church (that is completely not on the map I dunno).  I do get wigged out finding an undocumented church with little kids playing hide and seek in the graveyard, just a little.  Old man stands there and stares at you...

Once you get to :  Amicaliua road to FS 46 (really the FS 46 part) it becomes very narrow and sketchy.  Near the summit of the mountain you turn right on Nimblewill Gap road and then it becomes mostly rock as you cross the mountain.   Its mandatory to air down here, alot, or its very bouncy ride for your passengers.  I found an odd Korean couple with a brand new 4Runner up here, walking a toy dog, unable to speak any english to me.  This was after the really sketchy section where it appeared that no one had been there for a long long time, so that was reassuring at least.  After the rock section, it returns to a dirt trail and then you begin the ride down.  At the end its a gravel road and very easy to drive.  

It took perhaps 1.5 hours total, due to how rough the rocky sections were, and stopping to take photos.  In the fall once the leaves drop it is going to be very pretty with lots of mountain views.  It was gorgeous early October.

There are alot of nice first come first serve camping spots with cleared areas and camping pads all along the way on Nimblewill gap, before and after the rocky section, and lots of camping also on high shoals road.  The best camp sites probably were near the top of the mountain and then when Nimblewill Creek parallels the road as you come down to the Southeast off the mountain.

[attachment deleted by admin - older than 465 days]

BigJerm:
Nice report. Things must have changed a lot in 2 years. I took my LJ up there on almost bald mud tires and lockers and didn't air down on the rocky parts. I use to go up there with guys running stock JKs and 4Runners and such and no issues. It was nice leisure stroll with a few rocks

gint2:
Nice description, I've done that trip too many time to count. And you are correct, the camping up there is very nice, especially close to the top because you can access the park at any time. 

The only thing to note is there is a gate there just before the rocky road that lead to the crash site. The gate appears to have been pulled out of the ground by some people that didn't like it being there. If it ever gets fixed that road may close. Who know??

jgerhard:

--- Quote from: BigJerm on October 25, 2013, 09:18:03 AM ---Nice report. Things must have changed a lot in 2 years. I took my LJ up there on almost bald mud tires and lockers and didn't air down on the rocky parts. I use to go up there with guys running stock JKs and 4Runners and such and no issues. It was nice leisure stroll with a few rocks

--- End quote ---
Edited my post, to reflect air down was for comfort, not for making it over obstacles.

Ya don't get me wrong, its not difficult or even actual wheeling, I'm just making sure its clear for any new club members who might get weirded out regarding "Am I supposed to be here, how long will this go on like this?"  Two years ago when I was brand new to this it would have been exciting.  I actually saw some farkhead up there with a freaking honda civic turning around and getting back out.

DOUG:
Nice. 

Did you run a "My Tracks" or "EveryTrail" route of this on your phone you can share?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version