BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Tellico/Snowbird inaugural ride 10/26  (Read 4002 times)

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
Tellico/Snowbird inaugural ride 10/26
« on: October 27, 2013, 10:19:06 AM »
Spent Saturday at this park, which adjoins the old Tellico ORV area.  It was open once a long time ago, but inconsiderate users trashed the place and the owners closed it down to offroading.  Now the owners are teaming with Durhamtown to reopen it to 4wd, Sxs, dirtbikes, etc.  Hopefully we'll be smart enough to pack out our trash.

Cost for the 1-day ride was $25 + $10 for my passenger.  3-way weekend was $50 for vehicle and $10/pass.

We spent almost all day on what was billed as a "3-hour tour" (shades of Gilligan's Island) going to the gate that connects the trail to the FS area of Tellico.  However, it was 3 hours each way (13.5 miles).  The road is an old logging road with lots of up and down on the mountain, similar to Trey Mountain road here in GA.  The first 5 miles or so are quite easy, and I never got out of 2wd high.  The second half gets a lock rockier ( moreso than Tray Mtn e.g.), so I needed 4wd; would be a decent challenge to a stock Jeep or novice wheeler.  Our group was lead by a SXS RZR and had a variety of vehicles including some FJs, a Polaris SXS, and several Jeeps.

Once back down we visited another area called "The Bowl" where there are some hill/ledge climbs.  I didn't try anything as it was getting late and I had a 2-hour drive back home (entrance is 101 miles from my house in Cumming).

I saw Ben and AJ at sign-in, so hopefully they'll chime in with where they rode.

The plan is to open up more of the area, build some new obstacles/trails, and develop it over the years.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
So is it worth/ out going to be worth visiting? Sounds like it has some good potential. Would like to get to see some tellico also. 

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Alex

BigJerm

Re: Re: Tellico/Snowbird inaugural ride 10/26
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
I am curious to know if it will be a good mix for street and buggy vehicles and is it worth $60 for the weekend vs say $30 at Morris or others who are less?

Sent from S3

Offline gint2

• Visitor
  • RAINMAN - 18436572
Re: Tellico/Snowbird inaugural ride 10/26
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 12:35:36 PM »
I'll chime in... Ben & I headed up for the 1 day ride also. We took my rig and Ben rode with me. The day was LONG!! We left my place at 6:30 am and got back @ ~10:00 pm. Regarding the park.... well in my book, it wasn't all that and I'm glad I only did the day pass. Now to clarify that, the views are priceless. The trails were worthless. Now in maybe a year from now some of the rock will get washed off and more rock will get exposed and make it a better ride. But for what it was, I can hit Trey and have the same day for a fraction of the cost. We did not hang with the "group" for the entire "3 hour tour" at just over 2 hrs we along with 4 other rigs split off, turned back and went to the "Bowl". There we found 2 obstacles 1 is not doable in a 2 dr. and fought a 4 dr of 40's like mad. The buggy with us had a good run at it. The other obstacle was covered in black dirt and denied me as I need to be winched 2x on that one. First I slid between 2 tree stumps in the most crazy way and was completely wedged (no fwd/no rev). The second time I slid off the rock and ended up a bit twisted in a way I didn't plan on, thus the only way was with cable. There was another spot called the Buzzard Roost and I must say, that was about the best trail of the day and had the best view from a rock slab that jetted off the side of the mountain.

In summary, This park is NOT Tellico, however it incorporates some of the old Tellico trails to get around (Specifically Trail 4). So with that being said, I can now say I put my wheels on Tellico and cross that off of my "Bucket List".

I would head back to camp and hang at the park, I would consider taking my 4 wheeler to wheel instead of my Jeep just so I could cover more ground and scout it out a bit more. I think there is a lot of potential for this place but right now, it was a FS road at a different Latitude.

I'm sure Ben will also have more to chime in on.
JK-AJ

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
WRT the obstacles AJ mentioned at the Bowl, we watched a built SXS attach the black dirt entry ledge for 5 minutes w/o success.  The guys there stated that a tubed Jeep on Rockwells and 44s had made it all but the last 100 ft, so that gives an idea of the level.  The other might have been a trail leading upward with a big humped rock in the middle.  We drove up it and hit the rear diff; not being aired down and late we just backed down after a couple of tries.
00 TJ  stuff
18 Honda CRV

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »
Here are some vids... one is of Mark on what I named Potting soil spill hill. The black dirt was just like potting soil and was slick as crap!

/>
The other is of the view from Buzzards roost

/>
Now here are my thoughts on the park...

I think it has potential, but it will take many, many years to get to where it makes it worth me going and paying $50 for a weekend. Now, if you enjoy forestry roads and beautiful scenery, I say it is for you. We got lead to the backside of the park and like above mentions, just a long, slow drive. We split off that group and headed back to the other side with Mike (JKU on 40's) Mark (XJ on 42s) Lawton and Seth in JKUs. We basically went up any trail that looked interesting and found some cool stuff, but no rock other than the exposed sections already there. We did use trail 4 for about 1/2 a mile, and I think some of the old trail 5 as well. No water crossings and did not see any river views. everything from the old system had been graded and the rocks were buried. I am almost positive we went by the entrance to schoolbus but hard to tell as it was filled and a gravel mix was laid on top. It had a cable across so could not venture past that. But really looked familiar and felt like the place were you turned up the hill. Not sure if this is an absolute go or not, but would like to make suggestions to Mike if so. If they open up a place to camp or designate some places off the trail to camp, that would be great. The trails need some cleaning as the briars and tree shrubs took a toll on AJs paint. A good day with a machete would do it. So all in all on a scale of 1-10... I give it a 4. Just not enough trails with rock to justify the drive, gas and price to ride. But, with time and rigs and rain, rock will come again.  //cheers2// I have more vids which I am working on uploading. Will post when ready.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »
Second video shows as private
00 TJ  stuff
18 Honda CRV

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 01:36:19 PM »
BMAN posted this:

Review of the D’Town Snowbird-Tellico Offroad Park
By
Brian “BMan” Gray
10/27/2013

Ride Date: October 25th, 26th & 26th, 2013.
Ride Location: D’Town Snowbird-Tellico Offroad Park, Murphy NC.
Ride Fees: $25 a day, $50 for the weekend and $10 per additional person.

We received our ride invite by Mike DeWild and Mike McCommons (Big Mike) from DurhamTown. We appreciate the invite and their hospitability while there! We attended the ride on Friday the 25th and Saturday the 26th and left late Saturday night. The on hand staff was helpful and courteous! We left the buggy and race rig at home so to experience the trail system and obstacle areas with our mildly built Jeep Wrangler (TJ) on 33’s with 10” of suspension travel, full custom cage/harnesses, a single front locker etc. Myself, my son and his girlfriend participated in the ride.

Below is my 3rd party review of our experiences on this ride. I am not paid DurhamTown staff, a consultant nor a spokesman for them. I broke this review down into three categories; Current Facts, Current Opinions and Current Hopes. Please do not take what I say out of context from within the categories and full context of this review. I have placed the brief statements into categories for clarity and brevity. Since as many know it is very easy to accidentally spread rumors by giving incorrect snippets and sound bits I ask if you choose to spread my review please do so in it’s entirety. Please feel free to quote and/or forward in full this posting to any outdoor sportsman showing interest in this park.

Check back later for future updates. I am hoping to be invited back and be apart of other upcoming rides so I can communicate the progress promised by the DurhamTown Staff but as wheelers utilize the area I’m sure the trail system and obstacles will change! I know development will be an on-going endeavor and the trail system and obstacles will only improve in the way we like them to. I will post pics and vids in this thread as they are uploaded and processed. Stay tuned for them. Feel free to add your content if you participated in this ride.

This place has the potential to be another sportsman Mecca in the Tellico Region!

Current Facts 10/27/13:
1. DurhamTown has an agreement with the landowner of the Snowbird property.
a. They are authorized to arrange rides.
b. They must uphold the wishes of the landowner. These include but are not limited to:
i. Keeping the property clean aka “Tread Lightly”. Take out more trash than you brought in. We took out more trash than what we brought in.
ii. Be respectful of the other sportsman utilizing the property such as but not limited to the hunters and fishermen. Many are local folks that have welcomed us.
iii. Limit the speed in the park.
iv. Limit the wheeling to the currently developed trails and areas.
c. They are authorized to develop the land within the requirements set forth by the landowner and the surrounding regions governing bodies.
d. The property is and will be used for out door recreation including but not limited to hunting, fishing, offroading (4x4, ATV, MotoX, SxS, Quads etc).
2. The location of the property is in the Blue Ridge Mountains, which is apart of the larger Appalachian Mountain Range.
3. The property is near and surrounds some of the location seasoned wheelers knew as the Upper Tellico OHV FS area that the Forestry Service (FS) was closed down to offroaders.
4. The entry point is off of Boiling Springs Rd via Clyde McDonald Road. Those familiar with the Upper Tellico OHV FS area know this is the last paved county road before the ranger station off of Boiling Springs Rd.
5. The ride fees were $50 for the weekend and $10 for each additional person.
6. The park is not designed as a high speed park and 15 mph was suggested as a top speed.
7. Two ponds exist on the property. We observed a fisherman/wheeler and local resident fishing.
8. Not all of the areas can be further developed because of water run-off feeding certain streams and creeks where trout and other species thrive.
9. Silt retaining methods will need to be implemented in certain areas. This process will not be inexpensive.
10. The bowl area has less limiting development factors and requirements due to not being a water run-off area.
11. Google Satellite views show many rock formations not currently apart of the trail system or obstacle areas. Cutting trails would expose these areas.
12. Riding along the current trail system many exposed rocks and rock formations, ridges etc. could be seen outside of the current trail system.
13. The current trail system and obstacle areas have a mix of different sized rocks, ledges and formations.
14. Friday the trails area around the obstacle area known as the Bowl were challenging. By late Saturday they were much harder as the rock formations were becoming more exposed as folks wheeled.
15. A buddy (name withheld) in his CJ buggy on Rockwells and 46’s remodeled several of the larger rock formations and threw up loads of black topsoil in the Bowl area as he rock bounced his way around. He was denied on a few obstacles and made many.
16. A lot of the ledges and rock formations are porous rock and allow for decent gripping of the tires. Some “heating up” of the rubber may be needed to clear harder obstacles.
17. A lot of the dirt around the Bowl obstacle area was dark black topsoil. It gets slippery as peanut butter especially when wet.
18. There are trails and obstacles from mild to wild. More limited on the wild side. Wild was in the Bowl obstacle area.
19. Some trails were narrow with overgrown brush. Expect minor scratches in these areas until cleared further. We had a side vinyl window cut and were pocked many times with brush and branches.
20. Some trail and obstacle areas allow for two-way traffic. Some areas do not and passing is harder. A select few areas like the initial mountain climb to the trail system passing in some spots is impossible.
21. I got a personal tour of some of the different areas by Mike DeWild in his Razor. We found many uncharted Trails. They were mostly mild ones but had plenty of rock exposed.
22. We took waypoints via GPS device for a future improved map that can be better maintained.
23. We shared the park with a range of 4x4 vehicles from stock to buggy along with MotoX, ATV, Quads, SxS etc.
24. Traffic on the trails was shared by all of the types mentioned above.
25. Primitive camping was available next to a stream or in the parking areas. We stayed in town 40-50 minutes away.
26. Parking was limited to a few areas on the street, near the registration building, and in the ad-hoc parking lot behind the registration building and along the main trail and before it started the climb up the mountain.
27. A 4x4 tow rig is recommended when utilizing the parking areas behind the registration building.
28. We parked on the street shoulder after turning around.
29. The street dead ends right near the entry gate. No “cul-d-sac” exists.
30. A turn around area next to check-in for tow rig turn around is available but only when other tow rigs aren’t unloading and/or parked rigs aren’t present.
31. Backing up from the entry to the street is tricky but viable for goose neck and pull behind trailers. This will depend on your driving skills.
32. We backed up our 24’ goose neck with our crew cab, long bed, dually tow rig but it took several tactical manipulations to perform a full turn around.
33. The ride from the bottom of the mountain to the rest of the trail system is 20-30 minutes up the mountain.
34. The ride over to the area of the land nearest to the trails we know as the top trail system of Upper Tellico OHV FS area aka (Trails 6, 7, 8, 9 etc) was a long ride and took about 2 hrs one way. We had about 25 rigs in our group.
35. Riders/wheelers should not try to access the Upper Tellico OHV FS area. This is not permitted from the park .
36. Park private property/boundary lines are clearly posted.
37. Forrest service land/boundary lines were clearly posted.
38. Trail names and numbers were clearly marked.
39. Many land marks were pointed out with markers describing what they were and brief history.

Current Opinions 10/27/13:
1. The park has a similar look and feel to the Upper Tellico OHV FS area recently closed to offroaders.
2. This location with work and traffic has the potential to be another offroad wheeling Mecca in the area but not without further development, such as, cutting new trails and exposing more rock and rock formations, parking development.
3. The scenery was awesome with mountain views everywhere.
4. The initial ride up the mountain can be tricky for two-way traffic. Wider areas for passing should be investigated.
5. The trail called Tellico Rd. that leads to what was known as the Upper Tellico OHV FS area reminded me of a few trails there; trail 1, parts of trail 4 and 5.
6. As the topsoil is cleared I’m sure there will be a bit of a change in the color of soil and more of the rock you see from the surface will be exposed. I could tell many of the rocks on the trails were much larger and this was proven as wheelers wheeled on them and exposed more of their mass.
7. Some trail and obstacle areas allow for two-way traffic, some don’t and some areas it’s impossible. Traffic patterns should be analyzed and addressed accordingly.
8. Traffic on most trails included all of the types of vehicles mentioned above.
9. More permanent trail markers should be developed.
10. The fees were inline with other parks and we enjoyed the current offerings.
11. The return on investment (ROI) for us is much higher than the offerings at the DurhamTown location in Union Point.
12. If the effort promised materializes the trail system and obstacles will continue to improve.
13. As more folks wheel on the trail systems I don’t doubt many more rocks and formations will be uncovered.
14. Parking for tow rigs needs to be further addressed.
15. Anyone who has the opportunity to attend a ride should bring plenty of tools and parts and even better make sure they are easily accessible in your rig or fellow wheelers rigs. It’s a long trip back to the parking area from most areas.
16. I will be back to ride this park again. At this juncture I’m not sure I will bring my buggy since the Bowl is the only area of interest for me with it. I will indeed bring my TJ back and our race rig, which is a Jeep Cherokee XJ highly, modified for Dirt Riot/ECORS baja/"Jeepspeed” style racing.

Current Hopes 10/27/13:
1. I hope what was mentioned about future rides and development continues to happen.
2. The entry fees stay in alignment with other parks.
3. The parking areas is expanded and leveled out a bit
4. The entry road to the parking area will allow 2wd tow rigs easier access.
5. The agreement between the landowner and DurhamTown continues to be a win/win for not only them but our entire wheeling community.
6. Our wheeling community to adhere to the wishes of the landowner and DTown staff to show our support for the cause. This venture will not continue unless we do something different than was done years ago at the Upper Tellico OHV FS areas.
7. Other amenities should be limited to those necessary by the communities utilizing the property to keep overhead to a minimal and expense as low as possible.
8. An a-la-carte approach to available amenities similar to the DTown in Union Point could be utilized. Pay as you go scenario will allow everyone to customize their experience to fit their budget and needs.
9. I would recommend not charging for primitive camping for those purchasing a weekend entry fee.
10. A small “convenient” store with a limited select selection of often forgotten supplies at the registration building. Again minimal to keep overhead and costs down.

Thank you for reading the review. Again feel free to repost, forward or share it in its complete and entire format. Also feel free to contact me directly with questions and/or feel free to post up your experience of the ride, post pics and vids if you took any. Please limit your opinions on the matter unless you have first hand experience wheeling at this park in its current evolution. We don’t want to accidentally spread or create rumors. If you are in the know let it show sort of mind set is what I’m thinking.

Lastly a huge kudos goes out to the entire hard working DTown team that was on sight. Thank you for offering another place to wheel! I wish continued success!

Take care and happy and safe travels to all!

Brian “BMan” Gray

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »
2. This location with work and traffic has the potential to be another offroad wheeling Mecca in the area but not without further development, such as, cutting new trails and exposing more rock and rock formations, parking development.

Sounds like this is the problem. The park doesn't sound that great considering there are so many other parks that have rock //::)//
Without rocks and parking it's just a FS road
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »
Danny, you are right on. Right now there are no real trails, just a few obsticles and alot of forestry roads. If they let some rock bouncers in and high horsepower on the trails, it might help. But will take a long time. And I made the video public  //cheers2//
I've grown tired of this.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
The best thing Durhamtown could do is purchase and reopen

MOUNTAINSIDE

Sent off camber

Online xjcrawler

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 05:30:38 PM »
The owner of snowbird will never let them have any more trails than what is already there.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM