OPEN RIDES & EVENTS > Past Rides : Pictures, Discussion, & Carnage

Tellico/Snowbird inaugural ride 10/26

(1/4) > >>

kvom:
Spent Saturday at this park, which adjoins the old Tellico ORV area.  It was open once a long time ago, but inconsiderate users trashed the place and the owners closed it down to offroading.  Now the owners are teaming with Durhamtown to reopen it to 4wd, Sxs, dirtbikes, etc.  Hopefully we'll be smart enough to pack out our trash.

Cost for the 1-day ride was $25 + $10 for my passenger.  3-way weekend was $50 for vehicle and $10/pass.

We spent almost all day on what was billed as a "3-hour tour" (shades of Gilligan's Island) going to the gate that connects the trail to the FS area of Tellico.  However, it was 3 hours each way (13.5 miles).  The road is an old logging road with lots of up and down on the mountain, similar to Trey Mountain road here in GA.  The first 5 miles or so are quite easy, and I never got out of 2wd high.  The second half gets a lock rockier ( moreso than Tray Mtn e.g.), so I needed 4wd; would be a decent challenge to a stock Jeep or novice wheeler.  Our group was lead by a SXS RZR and had a variety of vehicles including some FJs, a Polaris SXS, and several Jeeps.

Once back down we visited another area called "The Bowl" where there are some hill/ledge climbs.  I didn't try anything as it was getting late and I had a 2-hour drive back home (entrance is 101 miles from my house in Cumming).

I saw Ben and AJ at sign-in, so hopefully they'll chime in with where they rode.

The plan is to open up more of the area, build some new obstacles/trails, and develop it over the years.

cudruln:
So is it worth/ out going to be worth visiting? Sounds like it has some good potential. Would like to get to see some tellico also. 

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

BigJerm:
I am curious to know if it will be a good mix for street and buggy vehicles and is it worth $60 for the weekend vs say $30 at Morris or others who are less?

Sent from S3

gint2:
I'll chime in... Ben & I headed up for the 1 day ride also. We took my rig and Ben rode with me. The day was LONG!! We left my place at 6:30 am and got back @ ~10:00 pm. Regarding the park.... well in my book, it wasn't all that and I'm glad I only did the day pass. Now to clarify that, the views are priceless. The trails were worthless. Now in maybe a year from now some of the rock will get washed off and more rock will get exposed and make it a better ride. But for what it was, I can hit Trey and have the same day for a fraction of the cost. We did not hang with the "group" for the entire "3 hour tour" at just over 2 hrs we along with 4 other rigs split off, turned back and went to the "Bowl". There we found 2 obstacles 1 is not doable in a 2 dr. and fought a 4 dr of 40's like mad. The buggy with us had a good run at it. The other obstacle was covered in black dirt and denied me as I need to be winched 2x on that one. First I slid between 2 tree stumps in the most crazy way and was completely wedged (no fwd/no rev). The second time I slid off the rock and ended up a bit twisted in a way I didn't plan on, thus the only way was with cable. There was another spot called the Buzzard Roost and I must say, that was about the best trail of the day and had the best view from a rock slab that jetted off the side of the mountain.

In summary, This park is NOT Tellico, however it incorporates some of the old Tellico trails to get around (Specifically Trail 4). So with that being said, I can now say I put my wheels on Tellico and cross that off of my "Bucket List".

I would head back to camp and hang at the park, I would consider taking my 4 wheeler to wheel instead of my Jeep just so I could cover more ground and scout it out a bit more. I think there is a lot of potential for this place but right now, it was a FS road at a different Latitude.

I'm sure Ben will also have more to chime in on.

kvom:
WRT the obstacles AJ mentioned at the Bowl, we watched a built SXS attach the black dirt entry ledge for 5 minutes w/o success.  The guys there stated that a tubed Jeep on Rockwells and 44s had made it all but the last 100 ft, so that gives an idea of the level.  The other might have been a trail leading upward with a big humped rock in the middle.  We drove up it and hit the rear diff; not being aired down and late we just backed down after a couple of tries.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version