BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: JK Evap relocation  (Read 3575 times)

Offline RD Slyter

• Visitor
JK Evap relocation
« on: November 07, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »
I noticed this has been up for a week or 2 and no threads posted yet so I figured I'd get it started.

Topic is opting to relocate the Evap sensor vs. buying and installing a skid plate on 07-11 JKs. Its entirely up to you what you decide to do, but should you figure as I did that relocating is better, this thread will walk you through the how to, and what you need to do it right.

The process is simple, and takes less than 20 minutes start to finish.
You will need;
Approximately 4' of  5/8" ID rubber hose cut into 2, 2' sections (I used washer hose which is nice and thick and very flexable but can also withstand heat)
5 or 6 good sturdy zip ties
4, 1 1/4" hose clamps
Rivet gun and rivets
Drill with a 1/16" bit
9/16 and 1/2 socket and wrench
Flat tip screwdriver
Second set of hands to hold things up

To start, remove the rear seat and carpet from the back of the jeep. Next remove the existing hoses from the sensor, taking care to remember which one connects where. Since theres only 2, this shouldn't pose much of a problem. Then using a 9/16 socket wrench, unbolt and remove the sensor mounting bracket. This will release the sensor allowing it to drop. Then seporate the sensor and bracket.
Next, with the 1/2" socket, unbolt and remove the E brake line support bracket which is located just forward of the muffler in that big open space directly under the rear seat. (This is where the sensor is going to be relocated to.)
Position the sensor bracket you removed earlier ruffly centered over where you just removed the E brake line retainer (Really, anywhere will do but this kinda centers the system in the open space under here)
Using your drill, set holes into the floorboard corresponding to the existing holes in the bracket used for mounting it to the vehicle. Then, having someone hold the bracket for you, climb into the jeep and set rivets into the holes you just made, fixing the bracket to the vehicle. Then mount the sensor to the bracket. Note, you will notice the E brake lines kinda in the way. Allow them to rest on the sensor as they are not going anywhere.
Next, replace the 2 large hoses going to the sensor with the 2 longer pieces of hose you just cut, and secure them with the hoseclamps. (Routing the hoses may require a little creativity but seriously, if you feel you will have trouble here, you probably shouldn't be undertaking this project in the first place) Finally, using the zip ties, secure the hosing in such a way as to keep it from resting on the exhaust.
There you have it. Easy button pushed.

[attachment deleted by admin - older than 465 days]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:05:03 PM by RD Slyter »
Ryan and Dawn Slyter; Grafenwhere Germany

Offline Trail Duty

• Visitor
Re: JK Evap relocation
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »
Nice write-up Ryan, thanks! Beginning to lean towards the relocation rather than the skid, seems cheaper and more effective. So the Jeep didn't throw any codes after the relocation? I've heard that can happen.
David - 2011 Flame Red JKU

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
Mine is relocated rather than skid plated.

Offline frenchlayer

• Visitor
  • Josh
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 02:16:38 PM »
mine is skidded rather than relocated
Josh and Solenn (Frenchy)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 08:25:47 PM »
mine is skidded rather than relocated

I'm not sure we can be friends anymore

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 09:59:53 PM »
Nice write up
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline RD Slyter

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 06:39:41 AM »
Nice write-up Ryan, thanks! Beginning to lean towards the relocation rather than the skid, seems cheaper and more effective. So the Jeep didn't throw any codes after the relocation? I've heard that can happen.

On the contrary, before i did the relocate, mine was throwing a code. Once I finished the code went away. I believe the source was a leaking hose, (a small crack or something) Replacing it with a thicker and more pliable hose I believe cured that.

Offline RD Slyter

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 06:46:00 AM »
Something i noticed, you mite want to start with 6 feet of hose rather than 4, allowing for an extra foot for each one. Giving you just a little extra. We all know its better to have and not need....  //salute//

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM