BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Did some RE Superflex joint maintenance.  (Read 515 times)

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
Re: Did some RE Superflex joint maintenance.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »
Sometimes on our big trucks if a fitting isn't taking grease you can a small torch like you heat shrink wrap with and heat the fitting just a little and it will take grease. That grease can get hard in the fitting and stop it up

Also a good idea...never though of that.

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 11:09:24 AM »
I've also used that method before. Older neglected rigs mostly, where the grease had contaminants inside the zerk orifice. I have also created a nice little scare with small flames. It might not bother anything, but I would be a little concerned doing that on these type joints vs. A rubber bushing. I just don't know if the heat would hurt the plastic race. At the same time, a lighter should suffice. I know you aren't holding heat on it long enough to start tweaking things. Sometimes I don't recommend some quick tricks when wrenching. Where some guys have years of experience with lack of special tools, using their head and what's available (successfully and safely). Others lack that thought process, and common sense. Believe me, there are guys out there that will get it red hot and melt something, or burn down their rig, garage, and half the neighborhood. Unless I've read numerous posts  from a guy proving otherwise, i assume they are still green.

Btw, I do realize my grammer in my posts sucks, and things get jumbled. This windows phone doesn't play well with GATR. Im glad Blaine made time to explain the workings/design of these things. I really find it hard to bank on "Jim from RE" really knowing what he's talking about. So it puts my mind at ease talking to a big player in the offroad game. For those who aren't familiar, he owns/operates black magic brakes, and has his hands in savvy stuff as well(just to mention a few). I also didn't hang up the phone with $1k worth of arms being shipped. I figured I would at least share the knowledge.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:17:45 AM by The_Dealer »
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Re: Did some RE Superflex joint maintenance.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »
Great info.  He's been around awhile lol. 

Sent off camber

Online tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Did some RE Superflex joint maintenance.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 12:24:15 PM »
I run Blaine's Black magic front brake pads and talked to him about braking a little. Yep, he knows stuff. I think he may have come out with a rear pad now, need to look into that. His fronts with a Centric Pro rotor increased my stopping power greatly.

Edit: I should re phrase that. The pads don't give any more stopping power, they just use the existing power much more efficiently.

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »
I debating for about 30 minutes on whether or not to call, or try to pm him on jf first. He gave me his number to talk me through how to set up adjustable arms and proper bumps(when I first got the re uppers). The potential problem bothered me, and if it was abnormal I wanted to try to resolve it asap, instead of just driving and possibly making things worse. I'd rather pull all the arms and clean them again if there was a prefered lube recommended. When I called, the time difference didn't even occur to me, so I have no clue what time it was on his end(oops). I even received a return call so he could explain a little more about some things that didn't come up. Its good to see  that the wheeling community is willing to help a complete stranger out. I wasn't even a customer at that. Im the type of guy that a ,"they only use grease for noise, and make sure they are tight" won't work. I want to know why, and how that's possible, and how they work. Without knowing all of that, I haven't learned. Sure, I won't have these arms forever, but at least I learned something I didn't know
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:41:59 PM by The_Dealer »
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM