BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: WindRock, TN Nov. 8th - 10th Pictures, Videos & Carnage  (Read 12594 times)

Offline RedDragonATL

• GATR STAFF
Re: WindRock, TN Nov. 8th - 10th Pictures, Videos & Carnage
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »
I was not a good pitcher-taker yesterday...only got a few when we stopped once.  Was a slow morning, but boy, did the afternoon and NIGHT make up for it!  Once it is dark in the woods, and you're not really sure how far til the end of the trail and less sure how you're going to get everyone out...well, it was an adventure!  Special thanks go out to Wes & Alex for leading our group around and through the chaos.  Who's bright idea was it to get on 39??? Oh yeah...that may have been me.  //:hlp//

[attachment deleted by admin - older than 465 days]
Jason

I'd like to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

2001 Jeep TJ, Cooper STT Pro 35s, 4.56s, D30 Spartan front, D44 ARB rear,Fender armor, sliders

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: WindRock, TN Nov. 8th - 10th Pictures, Videos & Carnage
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 01:28:27 PM »
I'll get my full set on a site soon, but here are some teasers:

And, just so you know...saying something is "soft", doesn't make it so:

I really think that product is also marketed as 3M 400 grit sand paper.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
I'll get my full set on a site soon, but here are some teasers:

Richard with the model status. He calls that look 'Cobalt'.

Looks like fun and a super pretty park, hate that I missed it.
Will

94 seXj

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re:
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »
^ I'm picking up what you're laying down...nice!

Once you find the right trails, it's a great park.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Skandalous

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 03:01:20 PM »
Would have been even better if we had anyone that knew the park...like ...at all with us.  This place just jumped to my second favorite park.  Not sure you cover everthing in a week if you tried.  Had some carnage myself ,   ujoint,  but the bolts on one side of the yolk got sheered off and will have to be extracted.  Luckily I've got amazing friends and spike was able to come give me a tow.  Got a ton of people to thank for helping me get outa the mess we were in but all in all it was a fantastic trip.  Will post what few pics I have when I get home.
Thomas ,  Annie , Gibson and Baily and Tonkacon.

Offline BlueJew

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/427451669

That was our Saturday route.
Blue Wes

Offline BlueJew

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 03:55:57 PM »
FYI, the map they gave me does not match the map that is on their website.  49 on my map is black single diamond, Jason's was blue and the websites was blue as well. 
Blue Wes

Offline BlueJew

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »
I am about to head out to DC for a software roll out but i wanted to say that this trip was amazing.  Despite what happened yesterday, everyone came together and got through it...albeit at a slightly slower pace, but we all came down the mountain under our own power and got to enjoy a beer and a great burger.  It is really neat to see how such a diverse group can come together and conquer one of the hardest trails on the mountain.  The above mapmyride will show you exactly what we did and at what pace and you can tell when things went south. 

Blue Wes

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 06:04:59 PM »
Ok what happened //popcorn//
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

BigJerm

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
X2 waiting on the story...

Sent from S3

Offline Trail Duty

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
Great ride guys. Windrock is a fantastic park, probably my number 1 right now, it's just so vast. I'm with Thomas on it would have been helpful to have someone who knew the park to guide us, since the group I was in spent a lot of time looking for rocks, but we made it out. Some sooner than others  //LMAO// The hard group seemed to have a hell-of-a day. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance. As usual, it was a pleasure riding with you all. See y'all at Black Moose  //letseat//

Oh and as for carnage, not nearly as bad as some others, but I dented my passenger door. Guess that's yet another reason to run doorless  //;D//
David - 2011 Flame Red JKU

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »
Hmm, I don't know the protocol here, so I'll tell what I think I know:

In the middle of a multi-mile black diamond trail, the rear drive shaft u- joint, on the axle end, broke on Thomas's tj.  It sheared one u-joint straps bolts, so field repair was not going to happen.  This was around 4:30. 

After removing the drive shaft, Thomas winched his way up that obstacle.  Then Danny pulled Thomas's jeep through some fairly easy water features that led to a rock climb that required more winching.  Then the fun ensued.  Two options:
1) a short, but very rocky (loose 48" circumference rocks), trek up an incline with a few maneuvers at the top.
2) a long hill climb with a few big boulder obstacles.  BUT, you have to back down the first part of the trail in order to get positioned to go up the next part.  This is in the side of a cliff (roll opportunity).  Remember the word 'long'.

It is about 5:30 at this point, but light is still available when this starts.  Danny tried to pull Thomas's jeep up option 1, but got denied.  Danny went on up.  Thomas tried to winch his way up option 1, but the drain on the electrical system was too much.  After a jump start by blue Wes, option 2 was pursued.

Wes backed down and then Thomas backed down.  Wes backed down further and got positioned to pull Thomas's jeep up option 2.  Thomas backed down and then Wes pulled Thomas as far as he could and then meet up with Danny to get Thomas up the trail a bit further.  Thomas was able to use the winch again on the stuff where being towed wasn't going to work.  Wes pulled Thomas up the last part of that trail to the service road and went home.  That was very late, but I don't remember the time.

Next story/lessen...cooking burgers on a grill in a church building...get Richard to tell this one!
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM