BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: BigJerm ?  (Read 707 times)

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
Re: BigJerm ?
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »
I remember trailering my XJ on 33's to Tellico and people were kind of laughing asking why, well there was a water hole on trail 8 that clogged their radiators. After a long day of getting them unclogged, everyone made it home ok but I was the most worry free riding in my truck. Never will I go without a trailer, there's been times my Jeep probably wishes I didn't though.

That same water hole got me to buy a truck&trailer too.  Broke the slave cylinder tube on the TJ in that hole and had to be towed all the way back to the parking.  A buddy trailered my Jeep to my house while I drove his rig back.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline Skandalous

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 12:09:01 PM »
I enjoyed the first year driving my jeep to and from the parks that are generally an hour or two away but having said that after Windrock this year and really experiencing my first real break in the middle of a long trail and having to be hauled back to camp, and a very very good friend coming to pick me and my rig up from Alpharetta I can safely say that even though I enjoy driving it every day around town and to work It will be on a trailer anytime I want to take it off road. 
Thomas ,  Annie , Gibson and Baily and Tonkacon.

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 01:43:48 AM »
Well said big jerm. I wheeled my yj, which was also my dd, like an idiot. I wheeled with the "big dawgs", and it took awhile for me to come to my senses. These guys had a ride home, and had another way to get to work come Monday. They didn't care about damage, or breakage, because it was their toy. I was young, dumb, and thought breaking stuff gave you "big dawg" status. Luckily I was smart enough to at least swap the d35 out for an 8.8 before running a decent size tire. I got 2 yrs worth of schooling in about 6hrs. I realized an sye wasn't just for vibes when my slip yoke pulled out a little too far. When it pushed back in, it was barely on the output shaft, and wreaked havoc. After seeing the t-case ripped completely in half, and all of the internals hanging out , I realized just how dumb I was. Sure, my buddy towed me to the trailhead, but their trailers would only hold one rig. 150 miles from home, and a problem a trip to the auto parts store wouldn't solve, it got real. After paying for an expensive tow, and fixing my rig with money I didnt really have, I learned my lesson. Sure, it all worked out, but could have been avoided.

I still wheeled my dd, and I currently wheel my dd, but do things alot differently. Before even taking my rig wheeling, I'll make sure ive done all of the mods needed to reliably wheel my rig. I try to wheel as smart and as delicate as I can, and keep in mind, its a long drive home. Even then, the inevitable still happens, so i carry spares and tools. I got spoiled when I had a tow rig, and a rig that was just a toy. It was alot more fun, and you didnt have much to worry about. After baby #2 came, tow rig payments, upkeep, and parts for the wheeling rig was just too much. I decided I'd rather be limited to the easier trails and fire  roads in my dd, then pay for the tow rig and not have extra money to go wheeling. I miss it, but that day will come again. Im glad i learned my lesson when i did.

Btw bjeep, that was a classic.  By far the funniest one I've seen
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:08:30 AM by The_Dealer »
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 12:02:26 PM »
From this point on I'll trailer my jeep to all the events we have except the open rides. My flop at Chocco taught me how quick something can happen with a rig you thought was in great shape and result in a bad situation. A pause here and a BIG Thank You to Tony and Bobby and the other guys who helped me right my jeep that day. Had I not trailered my jeep that day it would have been a very bad day
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 12:07:39 PM »
From this point on I'll trailer my jeep to all the events we have except the open rides. My flop at Chocco taught me how quick something can happen with a rig you thought was in great shape and result in a bad situation. A pause here and a BIG Thank You to Tony and Bobby and the other guys who helped me right my jeep that day. Had I not trailered my jeep that day it would have been a very bad day

Chocco was an open ride in 2013 (it was my first ride with GATR)!
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »
I will continue to trailer whatever I am wheeling. Unless I am going on a Forest service trail ride/ leaf looking.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: BigJerm ?
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »
This weekend I broke my front drive shaft. Now it was trailered and only requires it to be zip tied but worse things could have happened.

Short video of it throwing the drive shaft yoke ear from under the jeep.

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid709.photobucket.com/albums/ww93/Tripp5509/20131207_142236.mp4

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Oscar_Mike 2013

• Oscar Mike OG
  • Visitor
  • We might be friends, but I will still correct you!
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 10:57:25 PM »
holy crap, that snap sucked.  I hate that sound no matter who it is.
So new to this that I don't even know what to ask!!!!
Richard Russell

Online tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Re: Re: BigJerm ?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »
This weekend I broke my front drive shaft. Now it was trailered and only requires it to be zip tied but worse things could have happened.

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid709.photobucket.com/albums/ww93/Tripp5509/20131207_142236.mp4

that lower area on Hells Revenge at Chocco?  you made that last time... and with a hell of a lot more wheel spin.

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Re: Re: BigJerm ?
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 07:11:29 PM »

that lower area on Hells Revenge at Chocco?  you made that last time... and with a hell of a lot more wheel spin.

It is. There was a rock the size of my tire under the jeep making love with the rear axle. If the massive rock wasn't in the way I would have made it just fine.

Tried t pee but barely made it up due to pure mud with a 4.0 and 37's. Not enough whoo power there.

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM