BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: JANUARY 18 2014 - N. GEORGIA FS RIDE AND DINNER OPEN DISCUSSION  (Read 49194 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Griffin928

• Visitor
  • 2004 New to me !!
Re: JANUARY 18 2014 - N. GEORGIA FS RIDE AND DINNER OPEN DISCUSSION
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »
Got it thanks.....
Rob
2004 Wrangler X

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »
For future reference all club information is in the tab above labeled "Club Information" Link : http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?action=pages
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline slowbox

• Visitor
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »
Hey all, first post and brand new here.  I've never done a 4wd ride before.  However I'm 34, just replaced a 96 dodge with a new tacoma trd offroad.  My wife and 6 yr old daughter really want to do this with me too.  Why?  Because it sounds awesome.  I've got less experience than anyone here, but I do love N GA mountains and committed myself to a truck i've wanted for 20 years now. 

I've read the suggestions and riding setups --- Most seem to be for your serious crawling trips, this seems a bit softer and more up my alley.  Newb questions incoming:

CB - I saw your links for a cheapy ... I can do this if needed, rather not right off the bat, but can.  Have zero experience.  Yay or nay?

Pee Breaks - Wife/daughter will ride with me.... practical question in terms of holding up drivers throughout the day...I have no idea how you all run, but if nature doesn't call for my two sweet ladies this will be their last trip.....  :)

Tires - Is lowering PSI particularly essential for this kind of ride?  Doable, should i be concerned about purchasing an air compressor for refilling post run?

Camping - Do you all have a general open camping area or do I need to call a # and reserve a spot?  ATM thinking I may just drive back to Braselton after, but if the camping is easy that sounds dang nice.  Shared campfires?  Or is camping usually treated more private?

Dinner - I like dinner.  Maybe this too. 

Thanks, I hope we can be a fit to this ride and maybe others if suitable for my sissy truck.  Being new to a group of new folks is frankly a bit intimidating, and I don't wish to be rude or anything.  Thanks and glad to answer or talk about anything.

Here's my lady posing next to my lady:
http://i.imgur.com/Z0qB4pi.jpg?1

-tom

BLUE TACO: Tom | Ticia | Joanna (6 yr old)
2014 Tacoma TRD Offroad | General Noob

Offline JDS88

• Visitor
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 09:24:50 PM »
I've never done this before either but I am stoked about. So you won't be the only newbie out there. Me and the family are staying at a hotel in Helen.  Too cold for camping IMO. See ya out there.
Jeff

Offline slowbox

• Visitor
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 09:47:35 PM »
I didnt think to ask, but if it works out and anyone has a used CB that I can plug into a lighter hole I'd be good for some cash.  Just a thought.

-tom

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »
Well for the FS ride we usually don't camp. The people that do stay for this ride just grab a room somewhere. The bathroom breaks, there are occasional restrooms along the way, but most people (including the lady folk) find them a tree, to become more in tune with nature. The tire pressure has a lot to do with ride quality on this type of ride, not so much performance, but I would not spend the money on a pump unless you wanted to. As you can just drive to a local station to air back up, it will not kill your tires for a short distance on the road. The Cb I wouldn't waste money on a cheap one if you have any plans on using it in the future, as it would just be a waste of money. Look forward to seeing all the new guys out on the ride.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Alex

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Hey all, first post and brand new here.  I've never done a 4wd ride before.  However I'm 34, just replaced a 96 dodge with a new tacoma trd offroad.  My wife and 6 yr old daughter really want to do this with me too.  Why?  Because it sounds awesome.  I've got less experience than anyone here, but I do love N GA mountains and committed myself to a truck i've wanted for 20 years now. 

I've read the suggestions and riding setups --- Most seem to be for your serious crawling trips, this seems a bit softer and more up my alley.  Newb questions incoming:

CB - I saw your links for a cheapy ... I can do this if needed, rather not right off the bat, but can.  Have zero experience.  Yay or nay?

Pee Breaks - Wife/daughter will ride with me.... practical question in terms of holding up drivers throughout the day...I have no idea how you all run, but if nature doesn't call for my two sweet ladies this will be their last trip.....  :)

Tires - Is lowering PSI particularly essential for this kind of ride?  Doable, should i be concerned about purchasing an air compressor for refilling post run?

Camping - Do you all have a general open camping area or do I need to call a # and reserve a spot?  ATM thinking I may just drive back to Braselton after, but if the camping is easy that sounds dang nice.  Shared campfires?  Or is camping usually treated more private?

Dinner - I like dinner.  Maybe this too. 

Thanks, I hope we can be a fit to this ride and maybe others if suitable for my sissy truck.  Being new to a group of new folks is frankly a bit intimidating, and I don't wish to be rude or anything.  Thanks and glad to answer or talk about anything.

Here's my lady posing next to my lady:
http://i.imgur.com/Z0qB4pi.jpg?1

-tom

Tom,

CB - A CB really is helpful for knowing what is going on with the group.  When there are 20 vehicles in a row, it's hard to tell everyone what's next and warn of on-coming traffic.  However, if your choice is to do a handheld CB that has been purchased only for this trip, or do nothing at all, I'd do nothing at all.  Save the money and install a real CB in the future rather than rush the purchase and put in less than ideal one now.  Additionally, you'll need to tune the antenna for the CB, so keep that in mind.  I'll likely bring my SWR meter to this ride if I don't forget to put it in the Jeep, so you could tune your antenna either before heading out or during one of the breaks along the way.  Read this for how to tune an antenna:  http://www.rightchannelradios.com/tuning-cb-antenna-adjusting-swr

Pee - They make a product, like a diaper, that can be worn under clothes to absorb urine.  J/K.  Let's see what others say, but my friend carries a "Freshette" (http://www.amazon.com/Freshette-LIB355500-by/dp/B005SRVAS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388457525&sr=8-1&keywords=freshette) which helps avoid the problem of finding a perfect tree on which to squat; If I can go, so can she.  Handi-wipes are useful for cleaning up the freshette after use.  On the two forest service trips I've done with this crew, there has been at least one pee break for ladies.

Tires - IDK for sure, but I wouldn't air down unless you already had a pump capable of handling the load.  This isn't hard core off roading, so you should be fine with full pressure and in a worst case scenario, just air down if you absolutely must.

Camping - I'll be driving to the meeting place from Cobb County.  I have not seen anyone coordinating camping for this trip.  Typically reserve your own spot and post up the location so others can try to get close to that spot (I follow others since I'm a noob with this).  A campfire is usually shared for a central BS'ing location.  You can be as private as you want to be.

Dinner - Should be fun!

This will be my first time doing the official FS ride with the group.  My first trip with GATR was in June of this year and it was a bit intimidating.  Each trip out gets better since my skills are improving and my knowledge of each person is increasing.  I've joined other online/local groups before and the first FTF meet is typically intimidating because you'll be the new guy coming into a larger group who know each other to some degree.  You'll miss inside jokes, not know what pushes someone's buttons, and probably screw up someone's name.  I can tell you, most of this crew doesn't bite.  You will find the interaction and warmth level will vary from person to person. 

Nice looking ride!

See ya soon. 

Clark

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 11:03:50 PM »
Amin  //cheers2//
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline slowbox

• Visitor
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »
Wife and kid are camp pissers.. Not looking for any hole we cant dig.  Guess kind of a dumb question, was more thinking along the ride... making pit stops and holding up people... but maybe you guys have enough intermittent stops?  I'm an over thinker sometimes.

CB price ranges are pretty ridiculous... $30 number means no regrets, the $100++ numbers are probably overkill.  I think i'd go cheap and just learn to mess with it.  Honestly i got no need for a CB otherwise.  Then again I like messing with stuff... love working on RC car electrics:/

Edit: no real questions are unanswered.  Thanks Clark for the general info.  I think we might make a weekend of it and hotel up Fri and Sat night.

cheers

-tom
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:27:18 PM by slowbox »

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2013, 11:24:26 PM »
Wife and kid are camp pissers.. Not looking for any hole we cant dig.  Guess kind of a dumb question, was more thinking along the ride... making pit stops and holding up people... but maybe you guys have enough intermittent stops?  I'm an over thinker sometimes.

CB price ranges are pretty ridiculous... $30 number means no regrets, the $100++ numbers are probably overkill.  I think i'd go cheap and just learn to mess with it.  Honestly i got no need for a CB otherwise.  Then again I like messing with stuff... love working on RC car electrics:/

-tom

CB on the highway can be entertaining...some strange a-holes on CBs on the highway.   

I have the $50 uniden pro520xl in my truck and jeep.  They aren't too old, so I can't speak to longevity.  It's the other crap that adds up...cable, antenna, antenna mount, connectors, etc, etc. 

I just added PAs to mine...now that is fun if you like embarrassing your family.  I haven't been shot at...yet, but I haven't added the amplifier to them...yet.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2013, 11:47:31 PM »
Unfortunately our desire to be off the beaten path means that this ride passes very few toilets.  We will be on dirt and gravel roads most of the time and use paved road connectors between the back roads.

We will make quite a few woods stops and try to make at least one toilet stop but there are not a lot of choices in the mountains.

There will most likely be a river crossing again.

Sent off camber

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM