BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Blue Taco, Tire Logic.... wider vs taller?  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Oscar_Mike 2013

• Oscar Mike OG
  • Visitor
  • We might be friends, but I will still correct you!
Re: Blue Taco, Tire Logic.... wider vs taller?
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 09:01:44 AM »

But I did stay in a Hilton last night

Sent off camber
See Doug. That's where you went wrong. You're supposed to stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Your whole approach is flawed because you stayed in the wrong hotel.
Sheesh!!!
So new to this that I don't even know what to ask!!!!
Richard Russell

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 09:25:56 AM »
Get out and wheel, see exactly what tires work well in the type of terrain we have here. Talk to real people out in the rocks, in the dirt, similar vehicle as yours, etc.  then you'll have a real good idea on the next tire you want to buy.

The interweb is great but the real world stuff is going to be far better.

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »

But I did stay in a Hilton last night

Sent off camber
See Doug. That's where you went wrong. You're supposed to stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Your whole approach is flawed because you stayed in the wrong hotel.
Sheesh!!!
Exactly what I was thinking

//LMAO// //LMAO// //LMAO// //LMAO//
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Re: Blue Taco, Tire Logic.... wider vs taller?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »
Once you get to 33" tires in BFG's I think they're all the same width up to 37" so there isn't much choice to begin with.  To the original question, 265/70/16 or 255/85/16. The isn't much difference, so choose the one you think will suit you best based on your personal preferences (height, looks, etc.).

Nah, they make a km2 33x10.50x15...I have a set of them.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
As Tony said, its alot of junk on the interwebs, I've been overdoing the research myself.  Just get out there, watch closely, on difficult obstacles you can see whats up.  Cutting a tire or having no traction when you are stuck between a few rocks is alot worse than all this analysis.  You can buy some tires, then sell some tires, you will lose a bit of money as you figure out but its not that bad.  

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »
BTW in the article posted, this guy uses a term "vertical load" that would be laughed at in engineering school.  I personally have no idea what the formulas are for this, but I recognize some hand waving when I see it.  He does not actually run the calculations an automotive engineer would be doing, they will be standardized.  Narrow tires are for MPG, wide tires are for traction, all autosports.  Cost efficiency of your build in the terrain you run is a whole other issue. 

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline PopTop

• Visitor
  • PopTop
Re: Re: Re: Blue Taco, Tire Logic.... wider vs taller?
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »
Once you get to 33" tires in BFG's I think they're all the same width up to 37" so there isn't much choice to begin with.  To the original question, 265/70/16 or 255/85/16. The isn't much difference, so choose the one you think will suit you best based on your personal preferences (height, looks, etc.).

They still make 15" wheels? //:o//
Kevin

"Wonder what this button does?"

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blue Taco, Tire Logic.... wider vs taller?
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »

They still make 15" wheels? //:o//

They may not for the taco.  I am still running 15s since they are cheap for tires and wheels.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
I have been laying around nonstop for a day or so after working 3 14 hour days so I kept on digging on this topic, I definantly did sound like a jerk dismissing the articles points.  There is little info on the interwebs about how tires are engineered.  There is some good info on how drag racers calculate their suspensions, tire sizes etc but that is simpler than what we do as the normal force and friction can be calculated with much more simplification on a flat surface.  I think this below forum thread (read posts in the middle) offers some insights into how complex this engineering is. 

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-282956.html

Something that gets into the zone of the complexity is here:
"However wider tires ARE better for lateral traction (cornering) because
of the SHAPE of the contact patch. A thin tire has a long narrow contact
patch and a wide tire has a short, wide contact patch.

And a longer contact patch is bad, because under high cornering forces,
the tire is pointing in a different direction from the direction of travel,
due to the slip angle (up to 5ish degrees, depending on the tire compound).

And a long, thin contact patch being dragged across the asphalt at a five degree
angle will lose traction at the trailing edge, because the rubber gets
dragged sideways a greater distance.

This effect is THE reason why wider tires are better for cornering."

I think its important to note that offroad the loading of our vehicles varies alot on inclines and irregular surfaces as the tire forms to the ground, so the standard normal force calculations for friction are going to always be on angles, and there is going to be a heck of a lot of lateral movement as we traverse obstacles.  Sidewalls are flexed, tires contact patches are being pushed laterally shearing, flexing laterally etc.  For digging into ice and mud, I see alot of real world experience to get a narrow tire to go deeper into the surface and a wider tire would tend to have some flotation effect.  For rock crawling, just getting your tires ONTO something is key, like a solid purchase on a rock.  hence wider tires just to find purchase, a simple insight.  Width also helps you not roll over.

Utlimately a huge amount of your tire traction comes from your compound, how much of the tire is applied to the ground/rock/obstacle, and the tread, and then the angle you are loading the tires at, and then the torque you are applying as the tire has some shearing, often in multiple directions.  It is clear that the contact patch of a taller tire or a wider tire is not that different, but we drive both taller and wider tires offroad for crawling. 

I feel like this article is so simplified, its like I should say, drive a heavier truck offroad for better traction...the normal force will be higher, clearly that is not the case as a heavier truck has a lot of trouble sliding on slippery surfaces, moving up inclines, and will throw itself around on its suspension as it articulates with far more force, momentum etc... requiring even more traction to stay put on an obstacle.

The engineering of what we do is very very complex, as the suspension keeps the tires on the ground, the tire compounds, the exact penetration into the dirt, rock etc of the facets of the tire lugs and tread, its probably almost impossible to model and rather has to be done just be measuring the forces under diverse experimental conditions. 

The author of the article is basically saying its cheaper for him to put taller tires on his truck due to the issues with lifting it to fit wider tires, to get a similar contact patch. 

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Blue Taco, Tire Logic.... wider vs taller?
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
Given enough disposable cash, I'm sure the guy would buy his way out of a wide tire vs tall tire discussion.   With limited disposal cash, it seems reasonable, to me, to consider options other than just doing without until he can lift the vehicle high enough to put a tall wide tire on it. 

If the choice is to have a short wide tire vs a tall skinny tire, then I would land on tall skinny.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »
Well ya, getting the height is key for offroad.  But we drive tall and wide tires, dropping tons of money on the rubber!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 02:14:34 PM by jgerhard »

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
Re:
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »
I guess it would depend on how much width your giving up and how much ground clearance your gaining.  For a long wheelbase like yours the ground clearance will be more important. I would sacrifice an inch of tire contact for an inch or more of belly clearance. Your truck is gonna drag a lot.  Get a good tire that will make up for the traction loss and lockers.

Sent from a 4g signal.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM