BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Tray Mountain ride this Saturday (2/1/14)  (Read 8709 times)

Offline Yeti

• Visitor
Tray Mountain ride this Saturday (2/1/14)
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:54:40 PM »
Anyone up for a trip up Tray Mountain this Saturday (2/1/14)? Never been and would like to give it a shot. I noticed the Hwy 356 side calls it Chimney Mountain Rd and the Hwy 17 side calls it Tray Mountain. Do you drive the full circle from 356 to 17? I drive a 2014 unlimited Stock Sahara with sway bar disconnects. Think I would have any issues? Would be cool if someone who has driven the trail would like to show. I have noticed past post people meet at the church at 45 Bethel Rd. Anyone know how long it takes to make the ride?

Later,
Shane
//TJ//
Bone Stock 2014 Jeep Sahara
32" BF Mud Terrain Tires
Disconnects

Offline Trail Duty

• Visitor
Re: Re: Tray Mountain ride this Saturday (2/1/14)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:07:45 PM »
Unfortunately I can't join you, but you wont have any trouble with Tray mtn. A minivan could make it up there. Good ride though.
David - 2011 Flame Red JKU

Offline bear991

• Visitor
Re: Tray Mountain ride this Saturday (2/1/14)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:11:14 PM »
Shane you won't have any problems doing Tray. We always start on the 365 side and go up. It should take you about a hour or so depending on how fast you take it. I'd suggest not very fast,get's kinda rutty close to the top and across the top in a couple of places very rutted out. If I'm here I'd like to go just not sure I'll be here
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:12:40 PM »
I lead a group of 11 Jeeps last Saturday, up Chimney & down & over to Bell. I took us about 5 1/2 hours. But we were in no hurry.

You may have some trouble with clearance if you have stock size tires. Then again, you may not.

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:14:35 PM »
You won't have any problems.  The most fun route is the 356 side first. You are correct it is called chimney mountain from that side. You take the first left after you are on the forest service road. Theres a yellow warning sign telling you that it's a rough road. ( they have had a few "mini-vans" get crossed up. I've pulled a stock S-10 out a year ago. They would have gotten it out eventually but they were in my way blocking the road so I helped them out of my way.  //LMAO//

You'll have fun. Hopefully someone will jump in and go with you. It's always best to go with someone. Even on a forest service ride. You never know.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline JeepSh

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 08:50:31 PM »
The fam and I may go if I can get my tire situation sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yeti

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:47:37 PM »
I will have another Jeep with me. I guess we will be at the 45 Bethel Rd church at 10 am if anyone wants to meet up. Will be me, my wife and another couple in their jeep.

Shane
32" BF Mud Terrain Tires
Disconnects

Offline Yeti

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:50:51 PM »
You won't have any problems.  The most fun route is the 356 side first. You are correct it is called chimney mountain from that side. You take the first left after you are on the forest service road. Theres a yellow warning sign telling you that it's a rough road. ( they have had a few "mini-vans" get crossed up. I've pulled a stock S-10 out a year ago. They would have gotten it out eventually but they were in my way blocking the road so I helped them out of my way.  //LMAO//

You'll have fun. Hopefully someone will jump in and go with you. It's always best to go with someone. Even on a forest service ride. You never know.

I always see videos that say Tray Mountain/Bell Mountain. Does Tray go up Bell Mountain or is that another trail?

Shane
32" BF Mud Terrain Tires
Disconnects

Offline Yeti

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 09:52:17 PM »
I lead a group of 11 Jeeps last Saturday, up Chimney & down & over to Bell. I took us about 5 1/2 hours. But we were in no hurry.

You may have some trouble with clearance if you have stock size tires. Then again, you may not.

Quoted the wrong person on my last post. This is the one I meant to quote regarding Bell Mountain.

Shane
32" BF Mud Terrain Tires
Disconnects

Offline Michigunman

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
They are often done together.  Bell is in Hiawassee about 20 miles north of Tray.  It only turns to a "trail" at the very end.  Bell is all about the view.
Mark
2003 TJ Sport with some mods
1998 TJ with more mods

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Offline Trail Duty

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »

I always see videos that say Tray Mountain/Bell Mountain. Does Tray go up Bell Mountain or is that another trail?

Shane

No, they are entirely separate trails. Bell Mtn is in Haiwassee, but if you going up there it might be worth heading up Bell mountain, some great views from up there. You can check out the photos from January's ride.
David - 2011 Flame Red JKU

Offline Yeti

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 10:01:37 PM »
Anyone have directions to the road entrance for Bell Mountain? Might make a day out of it since Im driving the hour and half to get to Tray. //;D//

Shane

32" BF Mud Terrain Tires
Disconnects

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM