BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: GATR Brew Thread  (Read 51057 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: GATR Brew Thread
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 11:54:06 AM »
It's Covert Hops Society of Atlanta.  No membership fee, meetings monthly that move from place to place in the Atlanta area (mostly in the perimeter and usually at a good beer bar or brewery), group brews quarterly at someone's house or business, and usually a summer picnic and December holiday party.  Almost all communication is done through email, but they do have a Facebook presence.  Some people are passionate about beer, some are passionate about brewing, and some not much of either. 

There are a lot of homebrew groups in Atlanta...some are very technically oriented and some are drinking clubs.  CHS is in between and you can make it whatever you want it to be.

While homebrewing is legal nationally (has been for a while,  thanks to president Carter and that congress), transporting homebrew has been illegal...but until recently no one cared.  Then some jack ass in the state legislature submitted a law that legalized homebrew transport for certain functions (competitions, tastings) as long as a bunch of criteria were met and local officials passed laws to allow the event and charged for the license to do it.  This has mucked up our routine since places with alcohol licensees don't want to risk a bunch of homebrewers bringing beer to their place for sampling without the proper legal stuff being done for fear of being shut down by the DOR.  The legislation got the DOR off their asses and now they are scaring businesses.  Local legislators are not all quickly creating the environment to support the new law.  :(
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 09:50:55 AM »
Had a mini growler of Victory's Hop Ticket Session IPA

Not impressed.  Very light in color and in taste.  Nowhere near enough hoppiness for me, not really sure how this could be considered an IPA but it is.  Also had a light lemony taste to it that did not enhance my experience at all. 

I give it a C-

Shit, no I don't.  I give it a D. 

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »
There really is no such thing as a session IPA...unless you consider an APA a session IPA.  By definition, IPAs are high hop, high bitterness, high alcohol, and not balanced.

I like Bitter American for a good bitter session beer.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline prjohnson

• Visitor
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 10:51:28 AM »
I found three bottles of Stille Nacht Belgian strong Pale Ale a couple nights ago. Had one last night. It's a very very good strong beer!

Perry

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2014, 10:57:28 AM »
Nice!
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2014, 11:13:02 AM »

Not impressed.  Very light in color and in taste.  Nowhere near enough hoppiness for me, not really sure how this could be considered an IPA but it is.  Also had a light lemony taste to it that did not enhance my experience at all. 

I give it a C-

Have you tried the Founder's All Day IPA?  Just wondering how it compares.  I like the Founder's as far as a sessionable IPA, or something to get my night started.  But if I was looking for a real IPA, I wouldn't choose it.
Dan
2013 JKU

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2014, 11:19:01 AM »

I give it a C-

Have you tried the Founder's All Day IPA?  Just wondering how it compares.  I like the Founder's as far as a sessionable IPA, or something to get my night started.  But if I was looking for a real IPA, I wouldn't choose it.

I have had it and its similar to the Victory...light and "drinkable" which is why its called a session beer.  its ok

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 07:07:30 PM »
Terrapin Mosaic single hopped rye

Now we're talking. Damn, damn good. Hoppy, spicy, a little caramelly. Super good

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 10:12:38 PM »
^nice work
Dan
2013 JKU

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2014, 11:19:23 PM »
I enjoyed a Terrapin Wake N Bake Cinnamon Roll'd stout last night.  It was yummy.   Nice coffee and cinnamon flavors in it.
Dan
2013 JKU

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2014, 09:13:14 AM »
There is a cool bar in Philly called "Strange Love" (yep, named after the song) that had Pliny on tap during the national homebrew convention.  The owner is an avid beer guy, as are the bar staff.  The place is within walking distance of the indoor market/bazaar (name escapes me, but it is adjacent to the Marriott).

I had Nefarious at Monk's Cafe...worth a visit, especially if you like Belgian style beers.

I did the tourist thing and had a few beers at the City Tavern, where they serve 'traditional beers from the time of the revolution' and actors looking like founding fathers will come to your table and not break character (they speak in first person, even if you ask, "how many women did Benjamin screw in his life?").  (Our table had Benjamin Franklin.)

Heading to Philly tonight.  Gonna try to squeeze in a trip to Stranglove's.
Dan
2013 JKU

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
You'll like it!
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK