BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Durhamtown  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Yeti

• Visitor
Durhamtown
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »
Anyone up for Durhamtown this Sunday (2/16/14). Should be around 60 degrees and sunny. Stock rig here, but still looks like plenty to do.

Shane
Bone Stock 2014 Jeep Sahara
32" BF Mud Terrain Tires
Disconnects

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 11:34:44 PM »
It will be a total mud bath after all of this moisture coming in.  Have fun!

Sent off camber

Offline Yeti

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:50:17 PM »
It will be a total mud bath after all of this moisture coming in.  Have fun!

Sent off camber

I have never been. I was hoping since it was going to be sunny from Thursday afternoon through the weekend it might dry out. Not a big mud fan here.

Shane
32" BF Mud Terrain Tires
Disconnects

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »
I've never seen dt dry.  Not many rocks there.

Sent off camber

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Durhamtown
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:25:23 AM »
It will be fun, but muddy as hell.  They have two trail systems...the one to the right, as you face away from the check-in spot, will be mostly mud trails, but they do have a rock garden over there...somewhere. 
The trail system to the left will have a bunch of hill climbs, but the best thing there, if you have the right setup, is the creek climb/descent.

Bring a winch and bring a friend with a 4x4...you'll likely need both.  At this time, I can't play this weekend, but I'm not opposed to Durhamtown like most folks in this group.  If my plans change, I'll let you know.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Yeti

• Visitor
Re: Durhamtown
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 08:48:23 AM »
I gonna call it off for me this weekend. Sounds like it would be more trouble than its worth if its muddy, which I'm sure it will be. Might just make a N Georgia trip and hope some snow is still on a forest road somewhere.

Shane
32" BF Mud Terrain Tires
Disconnects

Offline Grizzly4x4

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:05:58 AM »
Anybody off on Mondays?
I have split weekends, Mondays and Wednesdays off, so when i get my jeep back I'd love to go with someone.
This is Garrick
1986 F250

Biscuit

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:17:20 AM »
I went up there this past Sunday, and even after a couple days without ran and 60 degrees, it was pretty muddy.  It is also pretty deeply rutted.  There are usually ways to bypass the deepest mud, but in many cases I couldn't get out of the ruts to get to the bypass. 

I would imagine it will be a swamp after a couple days rain.

DudeNiceH2

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 11:57:09 AM »
My buddy and I'd be down to go to durhamtown. I've been there a lot and it'll definetly be muddy but still nothing crazy. It's a lot of fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yeti

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 04:48:28 PM »
Went toDuhamtown today anyway. What a cluster. Web site said $25 for driver and $10 for passenger. Get there and they want $25 for each of us because my wife also wanted to drive. Maps look like a 3 year old drew it with a crayon.  The girl at the counter sent me to the wrong 4x4 park to start with. I asked them if there were any trails I should avoid based on my rig and she stated "I don't know". Its like they just had some old logging trails and decided to call it a 4x4 park to make a little extra income. What a waste of time and money. If they had decent mapping and trail marking, it probably would have been more fun. I just had not clue where I was half the time when trying to find my way back to the main dirt road  //:hlp//. Definitely prefer the Gulches. Just my two cents.  //;D//. Done venting, carry on.

Shane
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:51:00 PM by Yeti »
32" BF Mud Terrain Tires
Disconnects

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »
Durhamtown P has no comparison to any of the parks GATR rocks. 

I'm a fan of DP for a romp on some muddy trails and some hill climbs with my non-rock crawling friends (i.e., work associates), but it is not a park for everyone.

Of the parks I've been to with GATR, Choccolocco and Gulches have the best maps, but Chocco, and most other parks, leaves a lot to be desired regarding trail markings and maps.  It is frustrating to try to use the maps for most of these parks.

The people who operate DP, especially the staff at the cabin/check-in place, are not real friendly and treat people like idiots if they don't know how their park operates.  The good news is that you should only have to deal with them for a few minutes every trip, and then you can do pretty much anything you want to do since it is at the edge of being an anarchist operation.  I have never been wrist band checked, I've popped out on someones land, people drink beer openly while riding (not me, of course), and sometimes you randomly end up on the side of some road instead of the trail. 

The cost of the various parks is a strange thing to me.  There is not standard between all of the parks.  I do not know why having one person, two people, or 10 people in a vehicle affects the cost of using the trails (I do have one theory).  I don't understand why they charged you based on the number of drivers versus the number of vehicles.  DP NOTE:  on my first trip to DP I was with a bunch of work associates.  We got to the first trail we came across and just started riding, without checking in.  Then at the end of the day the host of the event went to the office to pay and they told him not to worry about it and come back again sometime.  A free day of riding for us, except for the guy who blew his radiator and had to do a field repair at a 45* angle. :)

I wish you better luck in the future.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Yeti

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 06:43:08 PM »
Yea, I was really expecting someone to check our bands. It took us a while to find the trails because everything said "Private Land, no trespassing. No Vehicles allowed". I finally followed a Yota in and when he stopped I asked him if I was in the right spot and he said yea. Just looking forward to some more of the clubs trips. Lesson learned.

Shane
32" BF Mud Terrain Tires
Disconnects

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM