BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Welding help needed in Braselton  (Read 4721 times)

Offline slowbox

• Visitor
Welding help needed in Braselton
« on: February 03, 2014, 11:11:02 PM »
Hey I'm Hijacking this thread since its basically the help i'm looking for as well.

Cut+pasting from my other post:

Update here ---- rock sliders arrived today, very beefy!

http://imgur.com/Dfjv3br

Also picked up some self etching primer and black "hammered" rattlecans to coat (in pic).   May need another can, not sure yet.  Aiming to get sanded up and painted this weekend and next. 

I was planning to get the welding done at a little shop at I-85/hwy 211 in Braselton (looks like an oil change place behind shell station just off 85 in Braselton)... however it just occurred to me a local GATR member might be interested in a Sat/Sun morning or afternoon to install? 

I havent gotten any quotes yet, but happy to offer at least some cash equiv to say a week of groceries as long as I can assist/watch/learn in some regard.  I've printed up an install document, but guessing anyone who can weld would find it pretty easy regardless. 

Just throwing it out there on the off chance, my apologies if this violates some forum rules to ask.

Appreciate any thots/recommendations.

EDIT: not pictured, are 8 L-shaped feet that fit the frame and square pipe.

--Tom

BLUE TACO: Tom | Ticia | Joanna (6 yr old)
2014 Tacoma TRD Offroad | General Noob

Offline URBAN ASSAULT

• Visitor
Re: Welding help needed in Braselton
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 09:34:33 PM »
Hey Tom,

I am eyeballs deep in my Toyota SAS right now, though almost done.  I have fabricated and welded all over Toyota.  I can weld the sliders on for you if you haven't already got it done. But, it is going to be a few weekends before I can get to it.  Every spare minute, not already claimed by work or family, has been going toward the SAS.
Glad to see another Yota in the bunch getting proper armor and offroad mods. Nice work.
Let me know if I can help.
Steve
My 4Runner and I are quickly becoming dirty ol' men. More attitude and less flexibility every year.

Steve

Offline slowbox

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 10:53:42 PM »
Hey Steve, I'm at least two weeks from getting these sliders primed and painted (family and cold are main factors that keep filling the weekends atm). 

Main reason I ask versus hitting up Allsouth (which i want to check out regardless) is I'm wanting to watch the process.  Much about the basics I still need to understand.

tom
BLUE TACO: Tom | Ticia | Joanna (6 yr old)
2014 Tacoma TRD Offroad | General Noob

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Welding help needed in Braselton
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 05:38:03 AM »
The metal being welded needs to be bare, so tape off the areas being welded or delay painting until they are mounted/welded.  If course, you can paint it and then remove the paint in the areas being welded.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline URBAN ASSAULT

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:12:10 AM »
The metal being welded needs to be bare, so tape off the areas being welded or delay painting until they are mounted/welded.  If course, you can paint it and then remove the paint in the areas being welded.

Good point!
My 4Runner and I are quickly becoming dirty ol' men. More attitude and less flexibility every year.

Steve

Offline reallifedog

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 05:21:03 PM »
Man I'd totally help show you the ropes if I had a bigger welder. My little HF 90A FC box isn't going to cut it for what you're trying to do. good luck!
Jordan

92 4Runner SR5 stock for now

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 07:12:36 PM »
You may want to lay down a few coats of self etching primer before the auto primer and hammered finish.  I did all this.  Also think on bedliner spray from rustoleum instead of hammered finish, you are going to rough up the sliders for sure. 
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM