BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Going to cut my truck in half!  (Read 5757 times)

Bsrankin

Going to cut my truck in half!
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:09 AM »
Ok so I'm sure everyone has seen the episode of Gearz in which Stacy David cuts that old Chevy long bed in half and makes it into a short bed, I personally have watched it about five times. I have a drastic plan for my project truck I want to take my 133" wheelbase ford and cut it down to the 105"-110" range. I originally was dead set on 105" because that's about the size of the 78-79 bronco and I figured I could just grab a driveshaft off of one of those in a scrapyard. After doing a bit of research I was told that the most you can safely cut out of a frame is around 18". Don't get me wrong a 115" wheelbase is still a vast improvement but I would really like to get this beast as tight as possible while still retaining a bit of the bed. Has anyone ever taken on a project like this before or even just bobbed a truck, any advice would be greatly appreciated. My idea for this truck is an all around trail rig that will tackle rocks, hills and mud. And yes I know the easy solution is to ditch the truck and go for a jeep, but I'm a full size ford guy all the way, and besides where's the fun in taking the easy road?

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:10:53 AM »
Who told you can only cut 18" of the frame

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Alex

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
Re: Going to cut my truck in half!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 09:12:12 AM »
Sounds like a cool project. 
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:18:03 AM »
yeah im with alex, who told you not to go more than 18"?
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
Ok so I'm sure everyone has seen the episode of Gearz in which Stacy David cuts that old Chevy long bed in half and makes it into a short bed, I personally have watched it about five times. I have a drastic plan for my project truck I want to take my 133" wheelbase ford and cut it down to the 105"-110" range. I originally was dead set on 105" because that's about the size of the 78-79 bronco and I figured I could just grab a driveshaft off of one of those in a scrapyard. After doing a bit of research I was told that the most you can safely cut out of a frame is around 18". Don't get me wrong a 115" wheelbase is still a vast improvement but I would really like to get this beast as tight as possible while still retaining a bit of the bed. Has anyone ever taken on a project like this before or even just bobbed a truck, any advice would be greatly appreciated. My idea for this truck is an all around trail rig that will tackle rocks, hills and mud. And yes I know the easy solution is to ditch the truck and go for a jeep, but I'm a full size ford guy all the way, and besides where's the fun in taking the easy road?

Hmm, interesting choice of terms considering what you want to do.  Perhaps, "I'm a full size ford guy at heart, but I know a full size ford is not great on the trail guy in reality" is closer to the truth.

All messing around aside, chop chop and be sure to post some pictures.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
Re: Re: Going to cut my truck in half!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 09:37:11 AM »
I personally had a mini truck some years ago. And from the cab back was a complete custom frame. And I know they make back half kits for the TJ. I am pretty sure phantom is running something in this sorts. Just saying. But like Clark said post some pics

Alex

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »
I wouldn't trust anyone who throws out a specific number like 18", the true answer as with everything is "it depends".  Depending on how you reattached the frame or add in a new section and how much fram rail left you have to make a solid connection to will ultimately determine your number of inches.  Joint design will play into it significantly as well. But I don't think you are limited to not creating the wheelbase you want, it just may take a lot more work than those who cut only 18".

I am not shortening the length of my frame but, I cut my truck both on the front and the back....does that make it 1/3?  //???//

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 12:12:03 PM by Scott F. »

Bsrankin

Re:
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 12:46:41 PM »
Who told you can only cut 18" of the frame

The 18" thing came from a guy who was doing something similar on a 75 f250, I think it was on the fordification forum. I may have misquoted him a bit, what he was saying was that you couldn't take more than 18" while keeping the rear axle in the same spot on the frame, which I do plan on at least until I can fork up some cash for a four link. I think I should be good to take out at least 24" with minimal trouble. Really just looking for a bit of insight this will be the biggest fab work I have ever done.

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »
We build rat rods on the side for folks and you can cut as much as you have material to work with. I would not do a straight cut on the frame but rather do what we call a Z cut. Find a common point to measure from on both rails. Measure 4-5 times cut once. When you put the rails back together,tack one side then tack the other side. Guy in my shop was putting rails back together one day didn't tack both sides and put a heavy bead on one side. The hotter he got the one side the wider the gap got on the other side. Also cut out some fish plates drill holes in them to lay over where you butt welded the frame rails. One for each side of each frame rail. Put them over the welded joints and weld in place. Then weld up the holes you drilled in the plates,do this on both sides of each frame rail. Use the frame rail you cut out to make the fish plates.

I don't have any pics but will find some if you want to help explain what I'm saying
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re:
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 09:18:07 AM »
The explanation was excellent...even I could follow it.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »
Thanks Clark. I know what to do but not the best when it comes to articulating the process.
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Bsrankin

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 06:59:30 AM »

I don't have any pics but will find some if you want to help explain what I'm saying

That was an excellent explanation, pics would be much appreciated if possible. I'm trying to hold off on this until the summer when I will have an entire week off work to do this, but I have a feeling that I might get a wild hair in my butt and start cutting it up on a long weekend. About how long does this normally take y'all? I do have access to a shop with a decent amount of fab equipment and a lift so I should have everything I need, the thing I'm most nervous about is getting it perfect when I weld it back up. My idea was to find a piece of straight wood or steel about the length of the straight part of the frame and line it up off of that. Is that about what y'all do in the shop or am I way off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM