SHOP TALK > Wrench Day

Going to cut my truck in half!

(1/4) > >>

Bsrankin:
Ok so I'm sure everyone has seen the episode of Gearz in which Stacy David cuts that old Chevy long bed in half and makes it into a short bed, I personally have watched it about five times. I have a drastic plan for my project truck I want to take my 133" wheelbase ford and cut it down to the 105"-110" range. I originally was dead set on 105" because that's about the size of the 78-79 bronco and I figured I could just grab a driveshaft off of one of those in a scrapyard. After doing a bit of research I was told that the most you can safely cut out of a frame is around 18". Don't get me wrong a 115" wheelbase is still a vast improvement but I would really like to get this beast as tight as possible while still retaining a bit of the bed. Has anyone ever taken on a project like this before or even just bobbed a truck, any advice would be greatly appreciated. My idea for this truck is an all around trail rig that will tackle rocks, hills and mud. And yes I know the easy solution is to ditch the truck and go for a jeep, but I'm a full size ford guy all the way, and besides where's the fun in taking the easy road?

cudruln:
Who told you can only cut 18" of the frame

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Danny Kinder:
Sounds like a cool project. 

8lugLJ:
yeah im with alex, who told you not to go more than 18"?

clark123456:

--- Quote from: Bsrankin on February 28, 2014, 09:03:09 AM ---Ok so I'm sure everyone has seen the episode of Gearz in which Stacy David cuts that old Chevy long bed in half and makes it into a short bed, I personally have watched it about five times. I have a drastic plan for my project truck I want to take my 133" wheelbase ford and cut it down to the 105"-110" range. I originally was dead set on 105" because that's about the size of the 78-79 bronco and I figured I could just grab a driveshaft off of one of those in a scrapyard. After doing a bit of research I was told that the most you can safely cut out of a frame is around 18". Don't get me wrong a 115" wheelbase is still a vast improvement but I would really like to get this beast as tight as possible while still retaining a bit of the bed. Has anyone ever taken on a project like this before or even just bobbed a truck, any advice would be greatly appreciated. My idea for this truck is an all around trail rig that will tackle rocks, hills and mud. And yes I know the easy solution is to ditch the truck and go for a jeep, but I'm a full size ford guy all the way, and besides where's the fun in taking the easy road?

--- End quote ---

Hmm, interesting choice of terms considering what you want to do.  Perhaps, "I'm a full size ford guy at heart, but I know a full size ford is not great on the trail guy in reality" is closer to the truth.

All messing around aside, chop chop and be sure to post some pictures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version