BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Staying in Shape 2014  (Read 917 times)

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
Re:
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 08:13:33 AM »
2 hours of racquetball yesterday and I am feeling it today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Jay

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Re: Staying in Shape 2014
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 08:13:46 AM »
Well like I've been posting in the old thread we are doing crossfit together at a gym, I think from this group AJ and Coleen are doing it as well.  I could not endorse something more, except of course a Wrangler and a good ladyfriend at your side.  Its very challenging to make it through the initial pain but doing really hard work like this (the focus is on how much work you do in a given workout) combined with lifting and eating clean is great.  Big results.  Doing the olympic lifts just makes you feel strong.  Just being in a room of people doing the workout for time makes you want to compete.

A friend of mine from the party days has done CF for a year and is getting ripped, and can do all these crazy things like handstand pushups, endless pullups, running carrying weights etc.   I'm thin but my lipid profiles suck.  High stress job eat out alot.  I'm tired of looking at each thing I eat and considering it in terms of my mortality and life insurance and kids - working at an office job and sitting in a car all day driving to my job is difficult.  My ticket in life was a tour of duty at Georgia Tech and my job is very nice and is rewarding in many material ways but... it has a downside.  Gotta keep the engine running!

Jonathon,

I did crossfit while I was deployed and I couldn't agree more.

If anyone is looking for a challenge/reward of a lifetime crossfit is the way to go. You'll never feel in better shape; stronger, more agile, faster, etc. kind of like the bionic man. The focus is on your core. As your core strength increases you'll find everything else significantly easier.

Have to be be careful doing that. Snatches, clings, dead lifts have a certain form and so many people get in wrong. Its easy to hurt your self.

Kipping, can't stand those. That's the correct way to do an incorrect pull up and not to mention the hell you are giving you joints. Pull ups are bad enough but adding force like that is terrible. Doing normal pull ups will take time to get there but possible. Once a week ill do 10 set of 10 pull ups. Later in the week ill do 50 more.

Be careful.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Alexspur84

• Visitor
    • Internet Marketing
Re: Staying in Shape 2014
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 08:27:41 AM »
Jim too bad your not closer, I am an avid mountain biker myself, well at least before most of my free time got consumed by a truck project.  I am in a maintain phase now hitting the gym for about an hour after work on weekdays or weights and the occasional bike ride/run on weekends. Trying not to get too out of shape.

When warmer weather gets here and the days are longer I hope that I am mostly complete in the garage bc I plan on trying to get out and do a lot more biking on the weekends both mountain and road.

Anyone in the canton area interested, I try to hit up blankets creek and or Rope mill when I can. Always more fun not riding by myself. It's been a year and a half almost since I ran the Marine Corps Marathon and I think if I tried to do a half now I would be hurting.

I'm always down for blankets. Once weather picks up hit me up.
Current ride -'13 JK 2 Door. 2.5" RExpress Lift - 35" BFG Mud Terrains. Zeon 8000 Winch. Focal Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 10" sub in back. Gibson Dual Exhaust. 

Previous Ride - 89 YJ on 35's.  Miss it but didn't have family roll cage - not good for the little ones!

Look forward to meeting everyone.

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 08:46:06 AM »
I just want a pill to make it all go away
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
Re: Re: Re: Staying in Shape 2014
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 08:56:53 AM »

Have to be be careful doing that. Snatches, clings, dead lifts have a certain form and so many people get in wrong. Its easy to hurt your self.

Kipping, can't stand those. That's the correct way to do an incorrect pull up and not to mention the hell you are giving you joints. Pull ups are bad enough but adding force like that is terrible. Doing normal pull ups will take time to get there but possible. Once a week ill do 10 set of 10 pull ups. Later in the week ill do 50 more.

Be careful.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ya I am pretty cautious and I work on my form alot, deadlift, squat, push press are first.  Then you learn cleans, then you start doing the snatch.  We have a great trainer and work in a small class setting.  You raise a good point.  Its like GATR, you would never do these things unless you had a spotter and someone encouraging you to try something new and harder to expand your capabilities, while still giving you a graduated path of advancement.

The kipping pullups, thats debatable, there is alot of discussion on all that.  Its really a different exercise related to a gymnastics muscle up than a strict pullup.
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 10:13:47 AM »
I am working on doing 3 sets of 10 with my body weight on pull ups.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:11 AM »
I am in a friendly weight loss challenge with some of the guys at my Bjj school. $20 buy in and the pot is split between who looses the most weight and the who has the highest % weight loss. We weighed in on the March 8th and will weigh in again on April 5th for to see who wins.
I am down 2lbs already!
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 09:40:28 AM »
Guys I'm 52 years old with a prosthetic hip and femur in my right leg. I have plates and screws in my right foot and ankle and plates and screws in both wrists from a A.H. running over me on my motorcycle. I was in great shape when the accident happened, good thing I was Dr said that was what saved my life. That was in July of 2006 and 17 corrective surgeries later I'm working hard to get back in shape again. I can no longer run, plates in my ankle and foot don't bend so all my workouts are weight lifting related and I go to a indoor water aerobics class 3 days a week. I'm in the gym every morning except Sat and Sun for three hours working upper body one day and lower the next. After the last surgery I was up to 330 lbs. and wearing a size 44 pants and 3xl shirts,I couldn't do anything but sit around. Now I'm down to 225 lbs. and wearing a size 38 pants and a xl shirt but the shirts are getting tighter in the right places now. Being in shape saved my life and I hope all our club members will make some sort of exercise part of their busy lives.

Just my .02
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 09:49:05 AM »
right on Bear
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re:
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 10:33:43 AM »
Definitely motivational

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline LUVNMY06TJ

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 10:36:08 AM »
Well said Bear. And congrats on the continued motivation. Keep it up!
Jim

"Never leave a downed wheeler."

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »
Thanks Bear. 

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM