BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Upgrading Axles  (Read 6971 times)

Offline rodi

• Visitor
Upgrading Axles
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:58:58 AM »
So, I want to know how many pennies I need to save for the next "phase" of my build. ;)

I want to swap my D30 for a D44, lock it with Eaton's new 4-pin "e-locker 4", put a TrueTrac in the rear, and regear from 3.73 to 4.56. And maybe upgrade the T-case.
One option is to wait and find some Rubi take-offs, but then the question is, what needs to be swapped out in order to use an Eaton e-locker 4 in the place of the Rubicon locker?
Is it stupid to lock a D30 with 35" tires? (If I were looking to just regear and lock the stock axles)
Do you guys ever have d44 take-offs or do their owners take those and sell them on their own? I know I can order replacement rubicon front axles and pay wholesale through a certain dealership, but not sure what part numbers to request and if I should just order the housing and let you guys get some better shafts and all the other bits.

Just looking for some advisement so we can plan this out. Thanks!
Ryan

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • My Build Thread
Re:
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:42:52 AM »
I would start with your end goal in mind, then work back from there. 37s, 40s, etc. I know we wheeled together at golden, but I didn't notice your driving style. Do you use finesse or a lot of wheel spin?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Jay
2011 JKU

"Sometimes you have to go home now, in order to go big later" - someone that understands life

Online DOUG

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re:
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:52:39 AM »
Yep
Spec it
Build it once

Sent off camber

Offline jgerhard

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Grind Fresh Daily
Re: Upgrading Axles
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »
You may want to start your own build thread and gather thoughts there.  Anyway, I did the lower end of the spectrum upgrade, D30 axle truss, c gussets, 5.13 gears, and cro moly front axle shafts.  Lunchbox locker in front Detroit in rear.  It is not stupid to lock a D30 but you gotta do the axle shafts and probably better gears to make it safer, and wheel with more finesse as JRay said.  The JK Forum and other forums have plenty of posts with people wheeling D30s with 35s.  Over 35s, you should not proceed with this strategy unless you just want to do light offroad use, as opposed to alot of what was going on at Golden Mountain. 

Rainsenhead for example did a prorock 44.  Nearly indestructible.  Pyrat went straight to 60's, you saw his beast ...
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Upgrading Axles
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »
I'll through this out there, and probably take some heat, but it may save you time, money, and/or problems and yield a better machine for <36" tires:  consider selling your current ride and buying a Rubicon.  Then continue your build.   

The upfront cost will be higher, but resale value will be higher.  A Rubicon holds the value of the axles and lockers, but a custom built machine does not.  This will be much easier to get done, but the selling and buying process can suck.  Time will depend on how you deal with selling and buying the vehicles.

Regardless of what you do, I wish you the best.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Thanks, Dandelion!

Online Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Re: Re: Upgrading Axles
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:43:07 AM »
I'll through this out there, and probably take some heat, but it may save you time, money, and/or problems and yield a better machine for <36" tires:  consider selling your current ride and buying a Rubicon.  Then continue your build.  

The upfront cost will be higher, but resale value will be higher.  A Rubicon holds the value of the axles and lockers, but a custom built machine does not.  This will be much easier to get done, but the selling and buying process can suck.  Time will depend on how you deal with selling and buying the vehicles.

That just depends on the tire size and will probably lose more in a sale than its worth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline rodi

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 11:06:01 AM »
Won't be going bigger than 35's. More of an expedition vehicle with trips to Utah, Colorado,... Argentina.
Ryan

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Re: Re: Upgrading Axles
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »

That just depends on the tire size and will probably lose more in a sale than its worth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I debated this on my build and chose to lightly build my old Sahara instead of getting a used Rubicon.  I'm not saying I made a mistake, but I believe I would be financially equal if I had done the Rubicon, if I were to sell the Jeep.  It would have saved me a couple of months of effort if I had just bought a Rubicon (probably the same amount of time I would have spent selling and buying the jeeps).  Additionally, if I didn't do the labor myself, I would probably have lost money, but saved time, in the end.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Thanks, Dandelion!

Offline rodi

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »
I would start with your end goal in mind, then work back from there. 37s, 40s, etc. I know we wheeled together at golden, but I didn't notice your driving style. Do you use finesse or a lot of wheel spin?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
I think the first time I had to use a lot of wheel spin was getting up that muddy trail with the moderate group. Plan is a max of 35" tires. 315/70/17 to be exact (I really like how the duratracs perform and their weight).
Ryan

Offline rodi

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »
And a sand dune on poison spider mesa in Moab.
Ryan

Offline rodi

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 11:31:47 AM »
And I really believe I'll keep this Jeep until it's dead.
Ryan

Offline jgerhard

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 11:49:14 AM »
Won't be going bigger than 35's. More of an expedition vehicle with trips to Utah, Colorado,... Argentina.

Nice
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

CLUB WEBSITE