BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Upgrading Axles  (Read 5230 times)

Offline 94xjsport94

• VISITOR GROUP
  • Cherocar
Re: Upgrading Axles
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 07:16:07 PM »
Lifting a tire while spinning, and especially if locked, will make your D30 sad. For JK's C gussets and a truss seem to be key. A fully polished 30 would be a full case locker, chyro'd gears, chromos or RCV's (or at least do full circle clips on a u joint), truss and good brackets and junk. Would be a nice set up for no bigger than 35's and a non Jim esk driving style lol
Will

94 seXj

Offline JeepSh

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 07:32:23 PM »
I'm game for Alaska, drug cartel activity has to slow down before South America opens up. Say 2015?

Guado
Patrick, Mandy, Tristan, Carter and Kodi

Offline rodi

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »
I'm game for Alaska, drug cartel activity has to slow down before South America opens up. Say 2015?

Guado
but is that really something to worry about in chile and Argentina? I have a bunch of cousins in Chile so it's more reason for me to go there. Never met them. If the answer is no, a shipping container to Vaparaiso and a flight to Santiago is an easy decision for me.

Alaska would rock, as long as there was time to venture off in British Columbia for Molybdenite or however it's spelled.
Ryan

Offline rodi

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 09:27:25 PM »
Lifting a tire while spinning, and especially if locked, will make your D30 sad. For JK's C gussets and a truss seem to be key. A fully polished 30 would be a full case locker, chyro'd gears, chromos or RCV's (or at least do full circle clips on a u joint), truss and good brackets and junk. Would be a nice set up for no bigger than 35's and a non Jim esk driving style lol
thanks Will and Tony. How much would I really save by strengthening the 30 and getting new axles?
Ryan

Offline JeepSh

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 10:03:58 PM »

Guado
but is that really something to worry about in chile and Argentina? I have a bunch of cousins in Chile so it's more reason for me to go there. Never met them. If the answer is no, a shipping container to Vaparaiso and a flight to Santiago is an easy decision for me.

Alaska would rock, as long as there was time to venture off in British Columbia for Molybdenite or however it's spelled.

Shipping cost is greater than gas cost. Plus Central America has a lot to offer. Just gotta let the heat cool down.

If your an amazon prime member watch wreck trek. Great idea, folks who did it will aggravate ya though.

Atlanta to LA to chugach national forest then back the eastern route Calgary through Montana etc.

Small trips to help knowing where to spend money on rig. Like the blue ridge line.

Guado

Offline rodi

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »
I'll check it out tomorrow night.
One of my cousins is in La Paz catching a ferry to Mazatlan right now. Started in Oregon and headed for Brazil. On a little motorcycle. With his wife.
Ryan

Offline JeepSh

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 10:59:14 PM »
Fun. Yet painful

Guado

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 11:13:26 PM »

Why cryo gears? You understand that they become brittle and they actually break easier? These is less give in them, so in other words they don't enjoy shock loading them. They will last longer under hard acceleration but that is not shock loading like in offroading. The idea came from F1 racing, but is not for offroading.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline rodi

• Visitor
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2014, 01:20:33 AM »
I was looking at Ten Factor Chromoly shafts as opposed to RCV. No Bueno?
Ryan

Offline 94xjsport94

• VISITOR GROUP
  • Cherocar
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 05:54:45 AM »
They're brittle if they are done wrong.

Tony, blue Wes and I all run ten factory chromos with no problems. I got mine for a steal via CL.
Will

94 seXj

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Upgrading Axles
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 07:31:22 AM »
The brittle thing for cryo parts has been mentioned twice by Tripp (different threads) and twice it has been countered by others.  Can everyone show their source of information so others can tell what is internet lore versus scientifically based?
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Thanks, Dandelion!

Offline rodi

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 08:07:04 AM »
So we're freezing jeep parts for deep sleep or because they're incarcerated?
Ryan