BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Upgrading Axles  (Read 6969 times)

Offline 94xjsport94

• VISITOR GROUP
  • Cherocar
Re: Upgrading Axles
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »
Will

94 seXj

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2014, 08:25:58 AM »
Definitely untrue about making parts brittle. Talk to any good cryo guy and he will explain how it does just the opposite. Back in my racing days when I worked for Panoz, we had lots of parts cryo'd. It only strengthened the parts we had done, never had one shatter or break due to brittleness. Take it to a reputable cryo shop, it will be done right and you wont have issues.  Perhaps if the cycling is done improperly you can ruin the metal, but a reputable shop would not do that. If you just try to freeze metal you can cause thermal shock which will ruin it. When cycled properly it will remain malleable.  One of the guys even had a set of golf clubs done, which increased his yardage.  //cheers2//

Also remember that Cryo is not a substitute for heat treating, merely an extension. So you can do a lot to strengthen your parts and make them last longer. Not only does it strengthen it also increases its wear resistance. Rotors were one of the main things we had cryo'd. Plus it gives metal a nice gold look.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 08:47:06 AM »
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015773

Got more if ya want em.

This comment from that thread concerns me about my setup :  I killed a 4.56 yukon ring gear on a HP 30 with 33"s so I hope you are really lite on the go pedal.

I am running 4.88 Yukon with heavy 35s.  It's unfortunate that I have that high output 4.0L to go with that setup. //:hlp//
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Thanks, Dandelion!

Online DOUG

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 08:48:59 AM »
We use cryo on steel punches that have impact 20,000 times a day. 

Granted a ring and pinion of 2 cryo parts interacting together might create a unique situation. 

Online DOUG

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 08:50:29 AM »
Perhaps if the cycling is done improperly you can ruin the metal, but a reputable shop would not do that. If you just try to freeze metal you can cause thermal shock which will ruin it.

Like proper tempering , makes sense.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 08:57:54 AM »
Yea, supposedly a lot of idiots in the 70s started trying to do it, after Nasa discovered the process, and were very bad at it. They would just drop the parts in liquid nitrogen. I think that is were this idea of it making it brittle comes from, left over from all the bad experience in the 70s. Now companies that do it understand the process and chemical make up of the metal. I got to see the process and studied it in college, there is alot of steps in cooling and heating that goes into it.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline 94xjsport94

• VISITOR GROUP
  • Cherocar
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015773

Got more if ya want em.

This comment from that thread concerns me about my setup :  I killed a 4.56 yukon ring gear on a HP 30 with 33"s so I hope you are really lite on the go pedal.

I am running 4.88 Yukon with heavy 35s.  It's unfortunate that I have that high output 4.0L to go with that setup. //:hlp//

Everyone drives differently. Period. I've watched some of those guys go rock bouncer up a trail on a 30 and eat ring gear teeth off.
Will

94 seXj

Online Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 11:17:05 PM »
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

CLUB WEBSITE