BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Figure i'd give it a shot  (Read 944 times)

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
Figure i'd give it a shot
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:20:40 PM »
Well the time has come to start thinking about a family.  The wife and I were married in September of last year so kid(s) will probably be in the next year or two.  I have come to grips that I must sell the Jeep to get something with a little more room and hopefully better fuel economy.  So while the Jeep is on the market, I am looking for a 01-04 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab.  Doesn't really matter to me if it's 4x4 or a Prerunner.  Seems like I don't have the time or the places to do any off-roading that requires 4x4 and my hobbies are kind of changing anyway.  I have just recently gotten into kayaking and am trying to get back into mountain biking.  Sorry for the long post but any info/opinions on the Tacoma Doublecab would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
1977 CJ5

Chris Hyde

Re: Figure i'd give it a shot
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:25:11 PM »
Anything Toyota FTW.  You can't go wrong.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »
Good luck with the sale. Toyota's are very dependable and a good choice.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »
Either one of you guys have any experience with a Toyota Doublecab?  Wondering if there is enough extra space in the rear seat area of a doublecab to justify the extra money over an extracab.
1977 CJ5

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 04:35:45 PM »
And I must say that I believe Chris has the nicest looking Cherokee I have ever seen.  That is all.
1977 CJ5

fatrat

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 07:13:42 PM »
Definitely go with the double cab and 4x4.  I drive a 01 Taco Ext. Cab TRD 4x4 and LOVE it but wish I would have got the double cab instead of ext.  The double cab is not huge but you will be glad you have it if you and your wife have a baby.  If you don't get a 4wd, you will kick yourself in the ass (maybe not now but you will).  Believe me, I know what I am talking about as I have been there!!!  The Tacoma has a really strong after market as well (just in case you get the urge to modify it  ;)).

What kind of yak do you have?  Maybe we should get together and ride mtn bikes as I am TRYING to get back in to it too! ;D

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:18:45 PM by fatrat »

Chris Hyde

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 07:36:36 PM »
And I must say that I believe Chris has the nicest looking Cherokee I have ever seen.  That is all.
Thanks man.  ;)

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 08:43:15 PM »
go double cab, I know a buddy of mine has a extended cab TRD taco, and there is basically no room in the back seat, if you went with that, you'd be better off staying with a wrangler...I'll keep an eye out on craigslist for any that you may not catch ;)

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 08:44:53 AM »
Definitely go with the double cab and 4x4.  I drive a 01 Taco Ext. Cab TRD 4x4 and LOVE it but wish I would have got the double cab instead of ext.  The double cab is not huge but you will be glad you have it if you and your wife have a baby.  If you don't get a 4wd, you will kick yourself in the ass (maybe not now but you will).  Believe me, I know what I am talking about as I have been there!!!  The Tacoma has a really strong after market as well (just in case you get the urge to modify it  ;)).

What kind of yak do you have?  Maybe we should get together and ride mtn bikes as I am TRYING to get back in to it too! ;D

Thanks for the advice.  It's always good to hear from someone with real world experience.  I have a perception sundance 12.0 kayak.  It's perfect for the kind of boating i'm currently into.  It's a great flat water boat, very stable and plenty of room for camping equipment.  I can't wait to do some overnight river runs.
1977 CJ5

fatrat

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 10:11:02 AM »

Thanks for the advice.  It's always good to hear from someone with real world experience.  I have a perception sundance 12.0 kayak.  It's perfect for the kind of boating i'm currently into.  It's a great flat water boat, very stable and plenty of room for camping equipment.  I can't wait to do some overnight river runs.

I have been looking at Kayaks for the past year and am getting ready to swipe the card and get one.  I have mainly been looking at the Dagger Blackwater 12.0 and Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 but I might just end up getting whatever is cheapest in that range at the time.  There is a really good shop about 5-minutes away from my house and the guys are real knowledgeable on paddlesports (The Outside World in Dawsonville http://www.theoutsideworld.net) you should check them out if you are ever in that area!

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »
That was the position I was in.  I have been interested in getting a kayak since I started college and I graduated over 2 years ago.  So yeah, I had the fever for a long time.  My wife and I looked at everything in the 12 - 14 foot range and chose the perception.  We got what I think was a pretty good deal on the two of them at Dick's.  They said they were on clearance because they were 07 models.  Didn't really matter to us and we are more than satisfied with the boats we have.
1977 CJ5

WranglerV8

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 10:59:13 AM »
I'm in the car business and I have friends who own Toyotas so I'll give my advice.Tacomas are nice and Tundras are junk.Always go with a double cab.Just my blunt advice/opinion.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM