BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Figure i'd give it a shot  (Read 935 times)

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
Re: Figure i'd give it a shot
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 11:34:33 AM »
I'm in the car business and I have friends who own Toyotas so I'll give my advice.Tacomas are nice and Tundras are junk.Always go with a double cab.Just my blunt advice/opinion.

Well i'm glad you chimed in!  I stopped at a Toyota dealer on the way home last night to see if they had any used Tacomas on their lot.  Well they didn't have the body style i'm looking for but they did have some decently priced 02-04 Tundra's with 4x4 and the V8.  I test drove one and it felt like a really nice truck.  I just don't want to get into anything else that likes gas stations as much as the Jeep.  What in particular makes the Tundra junk?  Do their engines or transmissions have a bad rep?
1977 CJ5

WranglerV8

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 12:37:50 PM »
From what I've seen and heard,it's not that much about drivetrain dependabilty although I have had some issues with the transmission and front end componets.It's about quality and comfort.The comfort level is extremely low.The interior is cheap and not well put together.It looks and rides good now,but over a short period of time,it hits the basement.You will soon hate the ride.The gas mileage is awful.The resale value has hit the basement as well.I can't seem to give them away and most ppl say they would not buy another one.I'm not a basher,just an unbiased/experienced party.The Tacomas used to be weak in the ass(don't take out of context ;D),but they've come a long way since they first hit the market.Hopefully this helps.

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »
This absolutely helps.  Gas mileage was the major concern in the search.  I test drove an 02 Tundra with 67K miles on it and the interior did seem to have more rattles and vibrations than I expected.  The suspension also seemed pretty soft.  Thanks!
1977 CJ5

fatrat

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 11:00:35 PM »
I did a lot of research before buying my Tacoma and I searched for about 3-4 months before finding the one I bought.  I wanted a 4x4 ext cab (now I wish I would have got a double cab) with TRD package (for the rear e-locker as the rest of the TRD crap is pretty much gone now other than the stickers).  I originally wanted the 2.7 4-cylinder but I am glad I got the V6 now.  I just happened across this Tacoma when we were at a chevy dealership here in Dawsonville looking at a new SUV for the wife.  It was sitting in the back of the dealership as it was just traded in the night before.  I asked if I could test drive it and they said that they had not had a chance to look over it but the original owner traded it in.  Just so happens it was EXACTLY what I was looking for plus every option you can think of (even a factory sun roof) and only had 48k miles.  I love my Tacoma and am very happy with it!!! ;D

I average about 18 mpg in every day driving (my foot is heavy on the gas pedal too).  But that is running 31" street tires.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM