BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Proper Tools, Proper Parts, Proper Research - Prior to Wrench Day  (Read 7164 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
When you host a wrench a day, you know it is very important to have proper beer selection and proper food available...DUH.  But, did you know it is also important to have proper tools, parts, and knowledge?  You should know what you want to do and generally how to do it, what tools are needed, and which parts you need.  The helper should be an extra set of eyes/hands.  If needed/requested, the helper should offer an opinion or provide a different perspective, but you should be the final decision maker.

Keep in mind you are borrowing someone else's time, so use it wisely and efficiently.  General guidelines for wrench day, and pretty much any garage are:
  • Have your tools organized, at least at the beginning of the wrench session.
  • Have complete sets of tools.  If you have 1/2" sockets, you need to have 1/2" drive ratchets and 1/2" extenders.  It is also useful to have appropriately sized breaker bars for the socket set you have.
  • Have quality tools.  The HF special that seems so cheap is likely cheap for a reason.  A rusted out adjustable wrench that your gramps used in WWII should be replaced with a quality adjustable wrench.
  • Have proper tools.  If there is a nut that has 12 points, use a 12 point socket/wrench.
  • Have a cheater pipe and breaker bar.
  • Have rubber/latex gloves available.
  • Have proper lubricants, fluids, and other shop supplies readily available.  If you run out of PB Blaster, but some before wrench day.  If you need blue lhread locker, go to the store and get some blue thread locker.
  • Have fresh/new consumables available.  If you are using a 4" cutoff disc, make sure it is nearly 4" in diameter, not burned down to 2.5".  Have sharp drill bits, saw blades, etc.
  • Have paper towels, wet wipes, etc available.

If someone who is assisting you tells you to get a specific part, fluid, tool...freakin' get that thing before wrench day, unless you tell that person to not help.  If they give up their time, which has a cost, then you should go over the top to do what they say.  Nothing sucks more than having to stop doing the job to run to the store while you are using your time to help someone else who did not plan properly.  There is no excuse to be out of stuff or not know what you are doing; The Internet, and more specifically, YouTube and forums, have almost every possible activity covered.  You should know the tasks of the job prior to wrench day; If you cannot master that, you need to have a shop do the work, or delay the wrench day while you study until you know everything you need to do and what you need to do it.

I am sure there are more things that could be listed, but hopefully you get the point: Treat someone's time as if you were paying for it...at a very high rate. 
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
Re: Re: Proper Tools, Proper Parts, Proper Research - Prior to Wrench Day
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »
Very true points. Funny you posted this. True story from just this week I ordered my rear locker and differential cover and went to install them this past Friday. Got everything pulled apart only to find out that I have the track lock in my rear 44. So needless to say me and my buddy striped the whole rear end down for nothing. It is something I should have investigated more by inspecting the rear end before strip down. But sometimes crap like this happens. But definitely a lesson learned (again) on my part.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Alex

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Proper Tools, Proper Parts, Proper Research - Prior to Wrench Day
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »
So, is the trac-loc functional?  Were you guys prepared to run gear setup with the new locker?
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:28:33 PM »
Track lok is limited slip right?  Won't perform like a locker.  I tried for a year and watched rubis crawl by me. 

Btt

Try to have the right stuff.  Unexpected needs are understandable.

Sent off camber

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 04:42:33 PM »
Track lok is limited slip right?  Won't perform like a locker.  I tried for a year and watched rubis crawl by me. 

Btt

Try to have the right stuff.  Unexpected needs are understandable.

Sent off camber

I agree, unexpected is, well, unexpected.  But there is very little that gets done that has not been done by several other people and documented, so read the various instructions, buy everything they specify is needed, buy more than you think you need, and return what is not opened.  A person being too lazy to read several instructions, make their own notes and game plan, and then expecting someone else to waste time while things are gathered is rude.

When doing crush sleeve gear setup, buy extra crush sleeves; when fluid is going to be drained from an axle, buy plenty of gear lube; etc. 

If you open a diff to change out seals and you notice bearings need to be replaced...that is unexpected and understandable.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
Proper Tools, Proper Parts, Proper Research - Prior to Wrench Day
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »
Track lok is limited slip right?  Won't perform like a locker.  I tried for a year and watched rubis crawl by me.  

Btt

Try to have the right stuff.  Unexpected needs are understandable.

Sent off camber

When doing crush sleeve gear setup, buy extra crush sleeves; when fluid is going to be drained from an axle, buy plenty of gear lube; etc.  

What are you trying to say? Lol
Will

94 seXj

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM