BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Maintenance and Mods  (Read 691 times)

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Maintenance and Mods
« on: March 17, 2008, 08:33:53 AM »
I spent yesterday morning pressure washing the TJ inside and out(first time since River Rock last year).Next I cut 25 ft of winch cable off.Then I started taking the front apart so I can repack the front hubs, both O-rings bad,got to replace. Going to replace a replace a blown carrier seal while I have the hubs off and find out what the squeaking is on the left front. Next setp is to fix broken track bar bolt. Going to change the rear carrier out before this coming weekend. Once I get all that done the TJ gets dropped off so the rear can be pushed back 8-12 inches. I am shooting for at least 101.5 (XJ length) to 104.5 (little longer than LJ length) inchs of wheel base.

I will just need new rock sliders, comp cut corner covers, a belly up skid, full cage and maybe a box4rocks crawler box.  ;D
Does it ever end?(rhetorical)  Maybe a 2nd job would help!

Anybody else doing anything new?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 08:35:46 AM by lt99ls1 »
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Chris Hyde

Re: Maintenance and Mods
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
Spent yesterday afternoon pulling the drums to clean out the mud and pebbles, washing it, straightening aluminum tie rod and re-centering steering wheel.

BigJerm

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:18:06 AM »
Sounds like you got some work in front of you! I got the Jeep pretty clean for the most part and I need to re-spool the winch rope. It got pulled pretty tight getting Daniel out of that jam. I am beginning to consider either a 1" Body lift or coming up with a way to cut my fenders and still make them look nice. At full flex my tires were grabbing the fenders pretty bad this weekend but I am not allowed to spend the money on a real lift until Megan and I are in a house or apartment and have furnished it. Also I need to crawl around the front and make sure I didn’t bend anything with the steering. I am getting a clunk if I move the steering wheel quickly to one side or the other.

What is the opinion on a 1" body lift? I don’t think it will look bad with my sliders because they don’t go up around the body. Here is a quick picture for idea and yes I know the front end looks like here, every vehicle that parks at this spot on the driveway looks low in the front:

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:40:30 AM »

What is the opinion on a 1" body lift? I don’t think it will look bad with my sliders because they don’t go up around the body. Here is a quick picture for idea and yes I know the front end looks like here, every vehicle that parks at this spot on the driveway looks low in the front:

can you buy the budget boost for the springs?
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

BigJerm

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 09:44:29 AM »
thats my current lift, 2.5" Budget boost. I thought about stacking a 3/4" spacer but not sure if I want to stack spacers

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »
I got a few things to do to the Jeep and I'm probaly going to be getting an exhaust some time this week. I also found out my Aussie won't be shipped until Friday so that will be held off.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:32:46 PM »
thats my current lift, 2.5" Budget boost. I thought about stacking a 3/4" spacer but not sure if I want to stack spacers

Hey Jerm, TJ stock front springs are longer than JK springs. They are probably a little softer too but I'd be glad to give you mine when I get that winch line for you and you can do an experiment. Want 'em?

Edit: Oh yeah, I'll be doing some work next week. Either 3/16 front bumper and winch, or front bumper, 1" body lift, and gas tank skid. Also need to fix a fuel line fitting and change engine and gear oil. And find the bolt that connects my sway bar link to the frame bracket  [hammer]  threw it in the Jeep before RR yesterday and now I can't find it. Whatever, I don't need no swaybars.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:37:56 PM by Will »
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

BigJerm

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »
Hey Jerm, TJ stock front springs are longer than JK springs. They are probably a little softer too but I'd be glad to give you mine when I get that winch line for you and you can do an experiment. Want 'em?

thanks for the offer but ill probably just wait to get a new lift so I only have to mess with the springs once, I am lazy like that  ;D

But what is the opinion on body lifts? pointless, good, bad?

Chris Hyde

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 01:43:53 PM »
I think a 1" body lift is ok.

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »
I think a 1" body lift is ok.

Agreed and it is required on alot of the belly up skids and some gas tank skids/lifts.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 02:01:07 PM »
I have a 1" on my TJ and you really can't see it. As for work I need to order a new winch cable. Jerm and Chris, what are you using? AMSTEEL? I am going synthetic after this trip. No more kinking on bad angles.
I've grown tired of this.

RedneckRockcrawler

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 02:06:27 PM »
I started on my cage yesterday and was able to tack up 5 pieces. I have been trying to get my damn starter off for the past week and a half.(bolt head got rounded off) Maybe I will get to it this afternoon. Pushing the heep off every day is becoming P.I.T.A.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM