BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Vermont Overland  (Read 1416 times)

Offline LUVNMY06TJ

• Visitor
Re: Vermont Overland
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »
I have to admit John, that I am really jealous right now... please enjoy yourself for all of us who would much rather be there than at work ... or really anywhere but there.
Jim

"Never leave a downed wheeler."

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 04:19:24 AM »
awesome thanks for the updates....
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 04:21:52 PM »
It's been a really cool experience. It's amazing how many people are "off the grid" up here in Vermont. A wide variety of trails over the last 4 days. Too much drinking and not enough sleep each night. We successfully completed it. Celebration party tonight and then the journey home starts tomorrow.

There is a group participating that has been blogging about each day. http://dirtroadtrip.com

Here are some more pics.

John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Trail Duty

• Visitor
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 07:08:38 AM »
That looks like one helluva experience and a great time John. Definitely jealous, I think we need to get something going down here in the Southeast  //SLAMIN//
David - 2011 Flame Red JKU

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2014, 07:37:13 AM »
I'm all about living off the grid.....looks like I'm moving to Vermont   //;D//

I like that class 4 highway sign, was that a state route/road?

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »
For those ignorant of class 4 highway designation, or even that there were classes of highways, this helps a little...very little:  http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/fullchapter.cfm?Title=19&Chapter=003
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:49:27 AM by clark123456 »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2014, 05:47:08 PM »
It's crazy, the class 4 highway is like the worst sections of Trey Mountain. Just got back to  VA and fly back home tomorrow. It was a great experience. Looking forward to sleeping in a bed tonight.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2014, 05:59:40 PM »
One of the coolest parts of the whole trip was the navigation used for the route.  There were PDF based maps with annotations that you load into an app called Avenza PDF maps. Due to zero cell service, we loaded these on iPads on both rigs and used an external GPS receiver. We would show up as a blue dot and could navigate based on each map (each day would have 10 to 15 individual maps. Here is an example of one of the maps.  The red highlighted route is what you follow.

If you're interested in loading them to see (iOS or Android) I have posted the full "Welcome email"
VOT
More info....

- Nate

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

Date: July 28, 2014 at 11:49:22 EDT
To: <nhurto@yahoo.com>
Subject: 2014 VOT is here!!!
Reply-To: <pvollers@vermontoverland.com>

-------------------------------------------------

Hi all:

Welcome to VOT 2014!    I hope everyone and their vehicles are in top shape for VOT!!

Here’s the official map and crucial info email:

Dates:  Monday, August 4 thru Saturday, August 9, 2014.

Teams:  If you have had any team changes whatsoever (members, names, etc.), please reply to this email to confirm the changes with me.

Vehicles:  you must drive to the event under your own power.  No trailering.  This ensures that you have a vehicle that will be as reliable as possible for the actual expedition.

Campsite locations (see maps for details):

Staging campsite, Monday, Aug 4:  Camp Plymouth State Park, Plymouth, VT:

http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/plymouth.htm

No need to check in with the park. Just pull into the group campsite and come to the VOT registration table to check in, sign liability waivers and pick up your vehicle decals, caps and VO trail trash bags.    Additional caps will be available for $20/cap.

Day 1, Tues, Aug 5:  Lillie Brook Farm, Tuttle Road, Rockingham, VT.

Day 2, Wed, Aug 6:  Wardsboro, VT, GMNF.  NB:  PLEASE DO NOT SHARE WITH ANYONE YOU MEET EN ROUTE WHERE WE ARE CAMPING ON DAY 2 AS WE DO NOT WANT TO ENCOURAGE HECKLERS AND THE LIKE!

Day 3, Thurs, Aug 7:  260 Hebard Hill Road, Whitingham, VT.
Day 4, Fri, Aug 8:  260 Hebard Hill Road, Whitingham, VT.

Maps:

After countless hours of prerunning, planning, rerunning and replanning, the VOT maps are finally ready! 

PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THESE MAPS WITH ANYONE BUT THOSE DIRECTLY INVOLVED WITH THIS YEAR’S VOT!!!

As you'll see on the maps, there are four days of routes (Tuesday, August 5 thru Friday, August 8).   Here’s a brief description of each day’s route:

Day 1: Longest day, most towns, very first trail is the hardest of the whole day. This day is meant to separate the prepared from the ill-prepared, the women from the girls, the wheat from the chaff, the tire from the rim. If your vehicle is not up to snuff, Day 1 will let you know it, and quickly. Comes in like a lion and out like a lamb. You'll be glad to get to camp and crack a beverage!

Day 2: Most difficult day by far. First three trails are three of the hardest, if not THE three hardest, in southern VT. That said, I've driven every inch of them in the taco without winching (a few times), so they're not that hard. This day keeps hitting you in the face like rabbit punches and then ends with a remote campsite that's a challenge in and of itself just to get to. Day 1 eliminates those not prepared and Day 2 truly tests those that are.

Day 3: Now we're settling in and getting truly in the groove. Most of the day is moderate intensity except for one ridiculous hillclimb that will make you say, "NO WAY!!" The nice thing is you'll be rewarded with one of the sweetest swimming spots I've ever come across. After that, it's smooth sailing and all about the scenery.

Day 4: The shortest day and the easiest for terrain, but you're still not out of the woods. Each trail will have a little kicker to keep things interesting and there's a longer pavement section in the middle with stupendous views. Who knows, if you play your cards right, you'll have time at the end of the day to grab a maple creamie and head to the local nude beach!

Here's the map link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/woawh9jlei7tfds/AADbNHmNhj9rgS_kdcdOk-Rra

To download the maps to your device, here's the procedure:

1)  Download the Avenza PDF Maps app onto your device from your app store.

2)  Open this email ON YOUR DEVICE.

3)  Click on the map file link above.

4)  Download the file to your Dropbox (if you have a Dropbox account, sign in and the file will save there; if you don't, simply go through the registration process; it's free and easy).

5)  Then go out of Dropbox and into Avenza PDF Maps on your device and click on the little + at the upper right, click on the “Download from Dropbox” button, click on your file in Dropbox, then click "Select all" at the bottom left and let the files download in bulk to Avenza on your device (***you'll need to keep Avenza open to do this and it'll take about 20 minutes for all of the maps to process***).

Also, here’s a video that will help if you’re still having trouble:

/>
PLEASE STUDY THE EVENT MANUAL AND THE MAPS!  The notes on the Event Manual and the annotations on the maps are absolutely crucial and you must be familiar with each and every one of them to successfully complete each day's route.  Please let me know if you have any trouble whatsoever downloading the maps.

FINAL CELEBRATION!  Whatever you do, don’t forget the final night’s celebration and awards ceremony on Friday, Aug. 8 at the Day 4 campsite farm.   Kim Vollers will be cooking up a storm, so it’s not to be missed!  BYOB as always.   Seriously, folks, don’t even think about driving home on Friday.  You’ll be way too tired and you really don’t want to miss the final celebration and awards ceremony.    We’ll be awarding beautifully-crafted, custom-made (and quite useful if I may add) trophies to all of the finishers as well as prizes for our Team Spirit Award, Best Camping Setup Award and, of course, best Camel Trophy Mustache Award!

John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2014, 12:35:23 AM »
I would so be down for a southern overland experience. Count me in on that for sure. Looks like you had great time John.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Alex

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »
Glad you had a good time. That trip looked amazing! The trails looked a little harder than I thought they would be. How did the Land Rovers and older yota's do?
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2014, 09:55:28 AM »
Some of the "challenge" trails were harder than I expected. It made for lots of fun. There were several breaks for Rovers and FJ Cruisers and a team with 2 AEV JKU's.  You can read a day by day summary and the breaks here - http://dirtroadtrip.com

We were team 13 and we were out first each morning along with 2 other teams of all Jeeps. It was awesome as the 6 of us finished first each day.

It was a great experience.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »
The guys from Dirt road trip finally pulled together a 4 min video of the 4 day adventure. 

http://dirtroadtrip.com/blog/trips/2014-vermont-overland-trophy-video/

John
Tube chassis/buggy

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM