BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Replacement windshield tech  (Read 270 times)

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
Replacement windshield tech
« on: June 25, 2014, 03:56:54 PM »
Buddy sent me this last night and did not know you could get a "performance" windshield. I am in need of one as mine has fine scratches from wipers going in the mud and it causes a haze in the sun and headlight reflection. Interesting products...

http://www.opticarmorwindows.com/jeep-replacement-windows.asp
I've grown tired of this.

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
Re: Replacement windshield tech
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 04:52:12 PM »
I have the same problem on the TJ.  This product is about $50-75 more expensive than glass replacement.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »
"Not DOT approved"
Think anyone would notice? I'm on my second windshield in 6 months from minor rock chips near the edge

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »
Well, I spoke with the owner of the company and we are working a trade out. I am going to do a full write up install and they are giving me a free windshield so it works well for us both. I get a free windshield and they get alot of free press. I will post it up on jeepforum, here and a few others. They do make JK windshields as well. As far a dot legal goes, I don't think it will ever be a problem. Beadlocks are not dot approved and how many of us run those. So as soon as I get the windshield I will be working on a write up. He told me they are scratch resistant and break proof which is nice for those of us that get a good limb or tree across the front.  //cheers2//

mudauber

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »
Wow....didn't know anything like this existed...just returned from my second trip to Johnson Valley, Ca.  I have friends living there and will be making this trip twice a year.  My windshield is beat to hell!  I-40 from Memphis to Ca is a windshield killer.  Mine is filled with pits, dings and one ominous crack.  Thought about replacing it before this last trip but decided why risk a new windshield.  Good decision as it took another beating.  Tired of driving around with a cracked windshield but do not want to buy a new one twice a year.  I was looking at my friends windshield (while in Johnson valley) and his windshield has so many little pits it looks cloudy.  Are others experiencing this problem?  Will this product stand up to the rigors of I-40 (Big rigs doing 80-90mph and slinging who knows what at ya...I'll talk about this scary hood moving around later).  Krawler00, looking forward to your review...take a hammer to that sucker and let us know!

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »
 I would check into how the glass reacts on impacts and breaks.  I would hate to see you or a passanger loose a limb in an accident. Side and rear glass shatter for a reason and front windshield glass is made with layers of plastic in them for a reason.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:12:43 PM by lt99ls1 »
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 02:12:33 PM »
Gotcha Larry. Good points. Have not heard back from them so still waiting.

Off Grid Post

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM