BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: contemplating a trade - help me determine its value  (Read 1177 times)

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: contemplating a trade - help me determine its value
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 08:33:54 AM »
You can get turbos and superchargers for the I6s too.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 08:37:10 AM »

I thought that was a myth! 

Do you know anyone who has done it with success?
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 08:43:55 AM »

It's definitely not a myth, there are SC's and Turbos for the 4.0 but I don't know anyone that has ever installed and used one.

That Stak TC is an issue in my mind as well.  If it ever needs a part or has to be rebuilt that will be a major issue.  There is a long story behind Stak that Kirk can tell better than me but the current owner of the company does not offer much support at all. 

But if it went out you could always just replace it I guess if everthing else on the rig was up to your specs
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:46:46 AM by tcdawg »

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 09:01:51 AM »
Plenty of turbo threads on pirate 4x4. I even had a Hesco SC for an I6 but sold it for major $$$ before I could install it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2014, 10:13:58 AM »

I wheel'd with a guy once that a turbo I6. It was in a Cherokee. 
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
The 3spd Stak Monsterbox TC is/was a good product, much beefier than an Atlas.  The one on mine was old and beat up, and popped out of gear a lot.  The gear popping can normally be cured by replacing the center shaft with one sold by Trailworth Fab.  My case was an earlu model where the shaft dimensions were different than the later models.  I wouldn't be worried about buying a Jeep with a fairly recent Stak case if I found on a test wheeling ride that it stayed in gear.

I sold my old case as-is to Tim Kirk, who did a complete rebuild (e.g., replaced a broken gear and got all new bearings).  He's going to run it in his buggy, which hopefully will be done this summer and we can see whether the pop-out problem still exists.  At least now Tim knows all the internals if there would be a problem with someone's case.

I liked the Stak more than the new Atlas - much easier to shift and has 5-1 ratio, plus you could do front digs in high w/o breaking it, unlike the Atlas.  Stak would also tolerate higher HP, although that's not much of an issue for the types of rigs we have.

As for the 4.0, I can tell you mine is pretty sluggish on the road on my TJ that's about 1000 lbs heavier than stock.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 12:48:16 PM »

Just sold buggy TJ with a turbo. Mitsubishi with 15 psi boost. The heads were studded and shaved to handle that much boost but it is definitely doable.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »
The 3spd Stak Monsterbox TC is/was a good product, much beefier than an Atlas.  The one on mine was old and beat up, and popped out of gear a lot.  The gear popping can normally be cured by replacing the center shaft with one sold by Trailworth Fab.  My case was an earlu model where the shaft dimensions were different than the later models.  I wouldn't be worried about buying a Jeep with a fairly recent Stak case if I found on a test wheeling ride that it stayed in gear.

I sold my old case as-is to Tim Kirk, who did a complete rebuild (e.g., replaced a broken gear and got all new bearings).  He's going to run it in his buggy, which hopefully will be done this summer and we can see whether the pop-out problem still exists.  At least now Tim knows all the internals if there would be a problem with someone's case.

I liked the Stak more than the new Atlas - much easier to shift and has 5-1 ratio, plus you could do front digs in high w/o breaking it, unlike the Atlas.  Stak would also tolerate higher HP, although that's not much of an issue for the types of rigs we have.

As for the 4.0, I can tell you mine is pretty sluggish on the road on my TJ that's about 1000 lbs heavier than stock.

How in the world is a stack stronger than an atlas? I know of no one racing a stack (not saying there isn't) but atlas is the common choice.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 05:09:23 PM »
Beefier case and innards.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 10:10:19 PM »
Beefier case and innards.

I agree, much larger casing and internals, assuming similar material properties/strength between the two the stak should be stronger.....and a lot heavier

Either way atlas with all the upgrades is plenty strong enough IMO

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2014, 04:01:47 PM »
You can get atlas with 400m. Im looking into their race case now. Between a 3.0 or 2.0
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2014, 07:57:30 PM »

You can get atlas with 400m. Im looking into their race case now. Between a 3.0 or 2.0

Was it your TC or Tranny that went at Chocco?

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM