BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Easement for road construction  (Read 286 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Easement for road construction
« on: July 15, 2014, 05:20:55 PM »
Today I was informed my property is being targeted for an easement for some road construction activity happening on my road (2 lane city road).  It may be a walkway or actual road expansion...I don't know yet.  Regardless, how do I determine the payment, if any, for granting the easement?

I have sent the guy an email requesting information, but I don't want to get screwed.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Easement for road construction
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 05:46:59 PM »
Thing is the government has the right to so many feet of the yard next to the yard, with nothing you can do. You sure they are going to offer so money?
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 06:08:18 PM »
I have always heard about their rights to my property, but if they take 3', does that mean they are entitled to another 3' the next time they do a project?  No money has been discussed.  I'm still trying to get details.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Easement for road construction
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »
I have always heard about their rights to my property, but if they take 3', does that mean they are entitled to another 3' the next time they do a project?  No money has been discussed.  I'm still trying to get details.

No Clark. They have a right to use their right-of-way width but have no rights to your property. If they need additional right-of-way or easement for construction work they will have to pay you for the rights they need

The compensation they offer is negotiable.

Call me if you want some help looking at what they are proposing. Been in the business for 20 years.

You on Stanley Road?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:45:15 PM by tcdawg »

Offline Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:46:32 PM »
Agreed, right of way vs Easement are two different things.

You might want to get a survey of your land so you really know what's up.

Then you can make an assessment of what's up
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 05:23:19 AM »

No Clark. They have a right to use their right-of-way width but have no rights to your property. If they need additional right-of-way or easement for construction work they will have to pay you for the rights they need

Call me if you want some help looking at what they are proposing. Been in the business for 20 years.

You on Stanley Road?

Yep, on Stanley.  Is this your firm?  When I get the proposal I'll call you.  Thanks!
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 08:15:50 AM »
Yep, they owe you money. You may end up getting a lawyer to get proper compensation. What they offer is peanuts and will threaten imminent domain if you disagree.  My parents went through this about 15 years ago. Lived in the country with no neighbors, tiny back road, open fields and forrest surrounding the property. They ended up sticking them on the corner of a 4 lane road and widened the road in front of the house. By the time it was all said and done they ended up with .25-.50 an acre  //:hlp//

With a little legal help they were paid a significant amount more than what they were offered. As the government doesnt understand the cost of moving things like septic tanks, tree removal, driveway reconstruction $$$, grass seed.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:44:43 AM »

You on Stanley Road?

Yep, on Stanley.  Is this your firm?  When I get the proposal I'll call you.  Thanks!

Not my company.  I use to do DOT consulting but now I do Utilities.

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 08:47:02 AM »
Agreed, right of way vs Easement are two different things.

You might want to get a survey of your land so you really know what's up.

Then you can make an assessment of what's up

Don't go to the expense of survey just yet.  That is on the DOT to provide.  Once you review their survey you can decide if you need to have one done to dispute it.  Odds are that the survey will reflect the correct property lines.

Offline Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:37:19 PM »
good info
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE