BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Gear Change Out  (Read 3569 times)

Offline jeepjunky68

• Visitor
Gear Change Out
« on: July 26, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »
Would anyone that is good with setting up gears be interested in helping me change my gears out? Going from stock 3.55s to 4.56's.

I have all the parts but not the tools. I can buy a press and a dial indicator if someone has a bearing puller for the pinion bearings.

I have never done this before and it would be nice to have someone experienced helping me. I would love to learn how to do this and save some coin at the same time. PM me if you can help. Thanks.

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
Re: Gear Change Out
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »
sorry no one has replied yet but you'll find out that changing gears is one of the hardest things to do on a rig. Not physically hard but a real PIA to get right. Shimming and messing with crush sleeves makes me cringe.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 10:10:38 AM »
Not only that but no one has any idea where you are or what axles.  Assuming D35 in the rear at least no carrier break.  But D30 front carrier is 3.55 down.  I'm not too well-informed on Cherokees so someone else may chime in.

Without a lift handy you have to do the work on the ground.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
Agree.  Only a few here do gears and they use their skill to make a living.  Hire a pro to set up gears and you might save in the long run.  Allsouth dies a great job with warranty.

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:51:27 AM »

Not only that but no one has any idea where you are or what axles.  Assuming D35 in the rear at least no carrier break.  But D30 front carrier is 3.55 down.  I'm not too well-informed on Cherokees so someone else may chime in.

Without a lift handy you have to do the work on the ground.

The rear Chrysler 8.25 has a carrier break, but it isn't relevant to anything we do. It's like 2.73 or something and down.

I agree, paying for set up is where it's at. Tools are too expensive for a one time venture.
Will

94 seXj

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 03:30:58 PM »
Yep, I've done it and have the cool tools...but only a really swell guy I have known for a long time, or my family, would be able to get me to do it again...family would have to pay.

I may do my own some day in the future, but I would consider paying someone.  The knowledge I gained was/is priceless, but the task sucked.  I highly recommend you study what the installer will do, even if you pay someone else.

Do not unbolt the carrier unless you know what you are doing...the carrier bearing caps are location and orientation specific...don't screw this up for the person who has to do the gear swap...you may regret your involvement.

Consider making this a one time shot...get a full-case locker for both, if you can afford it.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jeepjunky68

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:27:14 AM »
Sorry I did not put my location. I am in Jefferson. Axles on the Jeep are Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25

When you read up on how to do this it does not sound all that bad. But when you hear from people like on here that have done it, it sounds like a real nightmare. There is a mechanic close by that said he would do both axles for $515. Sounded good to me but there is a part of me wanting to do it myself for the learning experience.

Doug, you mentioned Allsouth. Any idea what they charge per axle?

Thanks to all that have responded.

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 05:31:37 AM »
$515 for both axles is very reasonable.  If you know they do a good job, you will likely not find a better offer.  I am pretty sure Allsouth is much higher, but you will know it is done right.  Just give them a call to find out the price...easy to do.

Buy a good master install kit, like Yukon, regardless of who does the install.  It will be worth a few extra bucks to get the good stuff.  I might even make the shop order the install kit, but prove to me it was Yukon.   Having them order the kit ensures there are no problems with you being accused of ordering the wrong thing.  It is best to let the install shop order all of the parts and tools they need to do a job instead of you bringing in a bunch of stuff and saying, "here ya go."
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 08:01:20 AM »
I dont remember what they charged but it was a similar number to that. I would still have allsouth quote.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline jeepjunky68

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 08:35:35 AM »
$515 for both axles is very reasonable.  If you know they do a good job, you will likely not find a better offer.  I am pretty sure Allsouth is much higher, but you will know it is done right.  Just give them a call to find out the price...easy to do.

Buy a good master install kit, like Yukon, regardless of who does the install.  It will be worth a few extra bucks to get the good stuff.  I might even make the shop order the install kit, but prove to me it was Yukon.   Having them order the kit ensures there are no problems with you being accused of ordering the wrong thing.  It is best to let the install shop order all of the parts and tools they need to do a job instead of you bringing in a bunch of stuff and saying, "here ya go."

I actually did buy Yukon gears with master install kits. The local mechanic came highly recommended as I was told he does a lot of gears. I stopped by and talked with him personally and he talked like it was an everyday thing for him. No hem hawing around.

I will probably just bite the bullet and have a shop install them even though I hate dropping that dough it will probably save me a headache in the long run. I figured I would throw out here and see if there was anyone close to me that would help install them.

I will give Allsouth a call and get a quote as well.

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 08:48:34 AM »
^ that is a great plan!
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM