SHOP TALK > Wrench Day

Gear Change Out

(1/3) > >>

jeepjunky68:
Would anyone that is good with setting up gears be interested in helping me change my gears out? Going from stock 3.55s to 4.56's.

I have all the parts but not the tools. I can buy a press and a dial indicator if someone has a bearing puller for the pinion bearings.

I have never done this before and it would be nice to have someone experienced helping me. I would love to learn how to do this and save some coin at the same time. PM me if you can help. Thanks.

ranier1315:
sorry no one has replied yet but you'll find out that changing gears is one of the hardest things to do on a rig. Not physically hard but a real PIA to get right. Shimming and messing with crush sleeves makes me cringe.

kvom:
Not only that but no one has any idea where you are or what axles.  Assuming D35 in the rear at least no carrier break.  But D30 front carrier is 3.55 down.  I'm not too well-informed on Cherokees so someone else may chime in.

Without a lift handy you have to do the work on the ground.

DOUG:
Agree.  Only a few here do gears and they use their skill to make a living.  Hire a pro to set up gears and you might save in the long run.  Allsouth dies a great job with warranty.

94xjsport94:

--- Quote from: kvom on July 27, 2014, 10:10:38 AM ---Not only that but no one has any idea where you are or what axles.  Assuming D35 in the rear at least no carrier break.  But D30 front carrier is 3.55 down.  I'm not too well-informed on Cherokees so someone else may chime in.

Without a lift handy you have to do the work on the ground.

--- End quote ---

The rear Chrysler 8.25 has a carrier break, but it isn't relevant to anything we do. It's like 2.73 or something and down.

I agree, paying for set up is where it's at. Tools are too expensive for a one time venture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version