BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: MOAB or BUST!!!!!  (Read 387 times)

Offline mikhail2400

• Visitor
MOAB or BUST!!!!!
« on: August 11, 2014, 12:54:37 AM »
Im seriously considering a trip out to MOAB with frequent stops on the way and on the way back. Maybe about 2 weeks or so. Have any of you taken this trip and if so would you share your routes  and what stops you made along the way? Also I cant be the only one who wants to make a trip like this so was curious if there was a site  where you can join groups  who are planning such a trip? I have no definite take off date at this moment. Just some time in the next 6-12 months. One big decision would be to drive the jeep or take it as a tow behind. If I drive the jeep I will need to get a trailer setup for the trip, which im planning on doing anyways.
Traveling isn't anything new to me as ive been all over this country when I was working. I just have never been on a trip for the pure fun of it so I have no idea where to visit and all. So please tell me about your trip or send me a link to your trips web page if you have one. Thanks, Mike.
Mike B

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: MOAB or BUST!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:38:44 AM »
CORE group goes almost every year.  Straight out and back.  As many days in Moab as possible.  A group will be going again in May.

Should be in past rides.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:39:55 AM by Doug »

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:57:28 AM »
Mike, I think GATR will have a Moab trip in late May next year.  Most of that crew will drive the distance with the jeep in tow and with only the destination in mind.  The entire duration of the trip is hard for working folks to find enough vacation time to spend a lot of time enjoying the journey.

However, I might be up for an extended trip if I end up towing mine (i.e., I couldn't find a cheaper and easier transport option).  I was planning to go this year and take 3 days there and 3 days back (10 hours each day), but things changed. 

I would probably do the trip out via the boring states and come back through the Rockies.  Breweries and distilleries would be what I'm interested in visiting.

If you have the means to tow the jeep in a vehicle more comfortable than the jeep, that is what I would recommend.  Two big benefits: physical comfort; comfort knowing you can really screw up the jeep and get home.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:50:17 AM »
I've only done it from the west coast, not as big of a time commitment.

Tow the jeep,if you can.

I think there is the big ball of yarn on the way, Route 66 has some interesting points, ...  Or was wheelin on the way back the priority.

I will also say, after 5 days of wheelin, I was ready to just get home.
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Offline wejeep

• Visitor
  • Moab 50+x
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:58:55 PM »
I've made a few trips between Athens, GA and Grand Junction, CO and prefer traveling the southern route through northern AL, Memphis, Tulsa and Salena, KS rather then the shorter route through St. Louis etc.  According to mapquest, the southern route is around 1.5 hrs longer, but I've found gridlock can suck up that much time or more going the northern route.
Lee and Margie

mudauber

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 11:03:27 AM »
I make a trip out west twice a year.  If you are going through Memphis to I-40 be sure to get on hwy 70 (parallels I-40) outside of Memphis to bypass construction on I-40.  The delays can take hours on I-40.

mudauber

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 03:01:11 PM »
By the way, I drive from Monroe, Ga. to Johnson Valley, Ca. in 3 days (2 nights).  I find the Jeep quite comfortable for this trip.  Now that I'm lifting and adding bigger rubber, this might not be true.

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 06:32:24 PM »
I've gone twice with this club and take I40 to NM.  Then up.  I take 2.5 days.  This year on the way back I'll plan to travel southern CO to take some steam train excursions .

I am hoping Bear follows through on hauling rigs, in which case I'd fly and rent a car.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline mikhail2400

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 09:07:10 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys. I havnt exactly picked my route there yet and will definitely be speaking with you guys before I settle on it. I met one of your members at the Sheriffs Jeepfest in Jasper GA last weekend and he mentioned he would most likely be going. Think he had a in with someone with a car hauler that was going to be taking his rig for him and he would fly out him self. That would be a pretty nice way to do it there. LOL. Didn't catch his name but he had a beautiful black JK modded up. Oh well if your reading this im the guy who was on crutches talking about MOAB with you. Im hoping you guys allow prospective new members at your GATRfest in OCT. If so ill get to meet more of you guys and gals in person.
Mike B

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM