BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Which is the better buy?  (Read 874 times)

Offline DILYSI Dave

• Visitor
Re: Which is the better buy?
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »
Surely you don't think OEM's send their vehicles out with the most economic tunes do you?  FWIW, a Ford is the richest tuned vehicle to roll out of an assembly line.  Sure, you can finess/tune better mileage into OBD2.

Yes.  Yes I do.  It is in their best interest to make them as efficient as possible.  Especially the ECU, since that costs them no hardware.  I know one of the emissions guys at Ford.  He's got an entire department that is responsible for nothing more than minimizing emissions and maximizing economy.  Now, there are compromises in the programming where minor gains can be picked up by the aftermarket (for instance, diveability is improved by going rich on throttle tip-in) if other concessions are made, and there is opportunity to optimize when hard part changes have been made, but on a stock vehice, there really isn't much in the way of low hanging fruit.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:40:15 PM by DILYSI Dave »

Chris Hyde

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 04:25:09 PM »
Dave, just curious.  How much data on 99-04 4.6 Ford motors have you seen on a wideband?  Have you ever seen this year engine run 11.7:1 all the way to the top on an out of the box motor?  I have spent countless hours at Dynolab, Modular Powerhouse and Team Ford with cars on the dyno's and can tell you first hand that stoich on an OEM Ford motor is HARD to find on a stock motor.  Not sure about Chrysler.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 04:30:06 PM by Chris »

Offline DILYSI Dave

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 01:01:38 AM »
Dave, just curious.  How much data on 99-04 4.6 Ford motors have you seen on a wideband?  Have you ever seen this year engine run 11.7:1 all the way to the top on an out of the box motor?  I have spent countless hours at Dynolab, Modular Powerhouse and Team Ford with cars on the dyno's and can tell you first hand that stoich on an OEM Ford motor is HARD to find on a stock motor.  Not sure about Chrysler.

Zero time on a Ford 4.6. 

Yeah, 11.7:1 is a bit fat.  Bad FPR maybe? 

They aren't going to run them at 14.7, as that hurts power and gives zero headroom for bad gas, fouled plugs, dumb drivers, etc., but I'm used to seeing most factory tunes in the 12.5 - 13.5 range, which ain't bad. 

Offline b1pig

• Visitor
    • b1pig's Web Page
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 01:44:33 AM »
i'd probably go for the Hypertech anyway. it has the most flexability, updatable... so IF they DO make up a program that allows adjustment of the transmission shifting points... which i was told by the Hypertech techno rep that was a possibility, but no guarantee... then .... ;)

i'm probably gonna get one. going to get a rear bumper first, though.
'07 Unlimited Rubicon.. aaaalllll black, baby!
'98 ZJ converted to 4wd w/5.5"& 33s, '90 Geo Tracker 5" susp/b.l. & 30's
"People Eating Tasty Animals" -bumper sticker on a Chevy
ZJ 2wd->4wd Conversion,CJ5(the one we sold),MY MSN PAGE,Death Wobble

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 08:45:27 AM »
I have a Garmin C320 that I got from Frys for $200 and it has a speedo.  It seems pretty accurate. 
Seth
07 Rubicon Unlimited on 37s

Offline Xterra

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
my tom tom keeps better track of my speed than my spedometer :D haha. noticed a differance between my spedometer and my gps after i changed my tire.
2006 Nissan Xterra

1992 Jeep YJ

ballzy

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 08:57:36 AM »
that's why i brought it up.  My plan is to buy a GPS so that if I change tire size again, I don't have to worry about fixing my speedometer.

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 08:59:01 AM »
Yeah I've done the math before and my GPS reads exactly where I would expect my speed to be with the larger tires.  Usually around 2-3 MPH over what my speedo says at 70.  I'm only running 31s  :-[
Seth
07 Rubicon Unlimited on 37s

BigJerm

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 09:57:10 AM »
ive tracked mine before as well with GPS. With lower speeds its around 5 mph off and higher speeds like 65+ i am around 10 mph off

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM