BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Who has been to North Georgia lately?  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Shilo

• Visitor
Who has been to North Georgia lately?
« on: November 16, 2014, 11:38:52 AM »
Hey guys,

My family is coming up to our house for Thanksgiving and the Jeeps are coming as well. Being they are from South Georgia a mountain ride and a park ride is in order. Thinking about leaving Athens to head up to Trey Mountain. After Trey head over to 197 to make our way to the Tallulah River crossing off Persimmon Rd. Being this will put us West bound I wanted to take them on into Hiawassee, from wherever we come out at I forgot, and let them do Bell Mountain. The park will be Durhamtown. They have been there before and it is close enough we can do two days. I just hope it is dry.

So here is the question. Tomorrow was going to be my scout day for our mountain ride however, I am now working so I can have off an extra day during Thanksgiving. Who has been in the area recently? I fish up there a little and was on Tallullah River Rd not to long ago but didn't cross over into the trails. Is everything clear for passage? Any suggestions on which trails to take? I have also never done Trey before but is seems ease enough to find.
Craig

Red YJ/35"KM2/8.8/ARB/Weak CB/Useless Jack Russel

Offline Hargy

• Visitor
  • Wrangler Rubicon.
Re: Who has been to North Georgia lately?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 11:57:28 AM »
It's only been 20 mins since you posted this and my information is based on a couple of rides over a  month or so ago, so bare with me. Tray Mountain: I rode the easy part and it was smoother than my driveway. There is the part that goes up to the look out part, I did not go on it. I would hit Charlies Creek off of Persimmon rd (spell check). That is a nice little run. Bell Mountain. I went up to the T intersection made a left. I tried to hit the by passes and was only able to make it in about 200 yards before I turned around due to the deep ruts cause I had 33 inch tires at the time. All in all it has been very dry. I hope others who have been there recently will speak up and give more accurate advise.
The Man The Myth The Legend.
olllllllo

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »
Dry and Durhamtown may have only existed together in the great drought of '07.  Even then I think the d-town gods would have made it rain, just to ensure it was Durhamtown.

Torg (or Clark)

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Shilo

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »
Thanks, I am on 35"s and we have a new set of 35"s in the group so some legs are dying to be stretched. I know there isn't much to Trey but I was thinking it gives us a reason to go through Helen and will be a good starting point. Bell won't be a problem but the crew in the JK and my WJ will definitely have to walk it  //;D//  I will save The Flat Lands for next time.

Did anybody reading this go on the last Forest Ride in January? I could have sworn we crossed the river and came out closer to Hiawassee before we done Bell. The map looks like it dead ends.

Dry and Durhamtown may have only existed together in the great drought of '07.  Even then I think the d-town gods would have made it rain, just to ensure it was Durhamtown.

Torg (or Clark)

The King size nonstick Pam is always purchased before Durhamtown to help stabilize my OCD. However, I agree you have to break the two conditions for Durhamtown like this;

- Dry (Able to bypass the puddles)
- Wet (Soup bowl)

It would be less of a hassle if the pressure washers worked and the dirt bikes would stay out of the jeep wash stations.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:35:07 PM by Shilo »
Craig

Online Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 12:27:08 PM »
I was at trey 3 weeks ago, it was raining at the time. No issues.  I was at Charlie's creek last week, dryest I've seen it.  First two times I went to bell mountain I had half bald AT tires, and had no issues.  Just go across the ruts,  if it wet,  good luck!  We are going out next weekend, Ill me you know how things are.  May even go today.  (Benifits of living in Hiawassee)
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Online Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »
If you go to Charlie's creek, you will come out on lower Hightower , which is just a few miles from bell mountain (4 or 5)
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Offline Shilo

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 09:14:32 PM »
Yeah shoot me an update whenever. Thanks for the info.
Craig

Online Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 07:46:15 AM »
go up to durhamtown telico, http://www.durhamtowntellico.com

a short drive up into Murphy.  If I was in town that week I would go along.
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Offline Shilo

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
Yeah I have dropped some hints about Tellico Town and Gulches. The rig with the 35"s is new to the driver so I will go wherever is in their level of comfort. I haven't seen this Jeep yet so I know nothing of its' road manners. This is the reason we will start out hitting North Georgia and some light forrest roads. Let them get a feel for it and we will pick out a park from there. Anybody from the forum is welcome to tag along.
Craig

Online Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 07:03:33 PM »
telico has some easy trails, heck most of them
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Offline Grubbicon

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »
Might hit Dodd road if they want to add some time to the day.
I would be careful with that trail around here
Scott
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH68UwLngosdTiw0912duAQ
I appreciate every view

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 01:35:03 PM »
From what I hear xxxx is illegal!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:32:31 PM by Doug »
Bobby

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM