BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Who watched "Off road warriors" last night?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
Re: Who watched "Off road warriors" last night?
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »
Yes it did seem staged, I feel they made a big deal out of the obstacles after seeing some GATR rides, but to be fair the rigs in this show are not really for the rocks despite their big tires.

Unsafe winching all around!
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 04:43:17 PM »
I think Pete and Shey’s yoto is the best built from what I have seen on the show so far. SOA front and 4 linked in the rear. It maybe linked on the front too.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »
I think Pete and Shey’s yoto is the best built from what I have seen on the show so far. SOA front and 4 linked in the rear. It maybe linked on the front too.
Agreed.  I like their approach too, slow and steady.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Online Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 05:25:06 PM »
The " Land anchor" seemed to work pretty well, once they figured it out. 
  I've never been knocked out, but do usually have time to grab you glasses and you face before you lose consciousness?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 05:26:07 PM by Cannonballkev »
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 05:41:41 PM »
That land anchor was pretty interesting. Not sure I would be standing on it while someone was winching like they seemed to be doing.  They were in some slop last night.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 06:34:45 PM »
I think the way they approached the shared use of the land anchor was wrong.   I would have made bill and butchie pull out first using the land anchor (like they did), then I would have used the land cruiser as the anchor for the rest of the crowd, and finally I would have let SuperJeep take the lead.  Without SuperJeep, those fools would still be out there right now. 

I am not understanding why the show's producers were so lenient on the use of proper safety gear...like seat belts.  Even if the vehicles did not have 3 point belts in their original production time, they should have had them added. 

Finally, what in the hell is up with the teams wanting to use those damn ramps.  What a PITA, time consuming, mess. 
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
I guess the ramps were faster that winching.  It worked, unless the edited tge time it took, which is highly possible.

What was Butch wearing when he was hooking up the winch?
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 07:06:01 PM »
I guess the ramps were faster that winching.  It worked, unless the edited tge time it took, which is highly possible.

What was Butch wearing when he was hooking up the winch?

The safety weight / dampener for the winch line.  It was a floormat with a hole cut in it...I am pretty sure he was going to put that on the cable to dampen it if the cable snapped.  I thought about it for a bit and came to the conclusion it was a pretty nifty idea since it allowed him to keep his hands available while still getting it to the destination.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Who watched "Off road warriors" last night?
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 10:20:35 AM »
I was under the weather yesterday and pretty much laid up on the couch all day...after buying two batteries(yep, Haydens went out too, got to love two jeeps in the family). The football games were not holding my interest so I caught up on all the Alaskan Offroad episodes. I had only watched the first one, now I Have seen all of them to date. 

I enjoyed the shows for what they are, a "reality" show to catch my interest and it did. It is definitely staged but it has to be to make a good show. It makes me want to build an expedition vehicle.

And Larry, I agree, Pete and Shay's toyo is sweet, definitely the best built. I'm pretty sure Shay is a man too but that's ok, to each their own.

Edit: today I plan to spend some quality time in Expedition Forum and formulate my argument to Cjndy that we need a bad ass Toyota Forerunner. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:28:08 AM by tcdawg »

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2015, 11:43:15 AM »
I was under the weather yesterday and pretty much laid up on the couch all day...after buying two batteries(yep, Haydens went out too, got to love two jeeps in the family). The football games were not holding my interest so I caught up on all the Alaskan Offroad episodes. I had only watched the first one, now I Have seen all of them to date. 

I enjoyed the shows for what they are, a "reality" show to catch my interest and it did. It is definitely staged but it has to be to make a good show. It makes me want to build an expedition vehicle.

And Larry, I agree, Pete and Shay's toyo is sweet, definitely the best built. I'm pretty sure Shay is a man too but that's ok, to each their own.

Edit: today I plan to spend some quality time in Expedition Forum and formulate my argument to Cjndy that we need a bad ass Toyota Forerunner. 
Between this show and the Vermont overland event I did last year, I think it would be cool to have an overland/expedition vehicle too.  What would be your preferred vehicle?

After my experience with Vermont Overland last year, I would love to have an expedition vehicle too.  You should check this out too - http://youtu.be/gL51gIdyUeY
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »
^^^^cool video!!!!! Is there another video of their full on Yukon trip?

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2015, 12:37:14 PM »
^^^^cool video!!!!! Is there another video of their full on Yukon trip?

Yes, search on YouTube and you will see the episodes. Same title format of "Expedition Overlands..."
John
Tube chassis/buggy

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM