BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Overlander article doesn't get the "Jeep thing"  (Read 458 times)

Online tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Overlander article doesn't get the "Jeep thing"
« on: December 05, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »
Check out this overlander article.  Note the author's floppy hat and shirt with 20 pockets on it...telltale sign of the "overlander".  //;D//

http://expeditionportal.com/i-tried-the-jeep-thing-and-i-just-didnt-get-it/

I like the part where all his gear goes from the back seat to the front.  Ever hear of a tie down?

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Overlander article doesn't get the "Jeep thing"
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »
What a d-bag.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »
What a d-bag.
Eh, not really. I get his point. I'm sure there are things that others do that you think are dumb. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm sure there would have been things to make his trip me enjoyable had he know to have less air in the tires and strap crap down.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »
Ya I get the point he makes, there is just no point to his article being published.  There are plenty of people who look back at me when I describe a weekend out with the club like "why?".  At the same point when I describe some of the challenging software projects I've worked on, other guys in more cushy jobs at other companies give me the same look.  Same with weightlifting. 

Normal people don't get extreme people. 

Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline Michigunman

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 12:50:01 PM »
What a d-bag.
Eh, not really. I get his point. I'm sure there are things that others do that you think are dumb. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm sure there would have been things to make his trip me enjoyable had he know to have less air in the tires and strap crap down.

I think the douche bag part is the way he says what he says.  Very condescending and all about what he does is better.  Not about something different he doesn't enjoy or clearly know how to prepare for.
Mark
2003 TJ Sport with some mods
1998 TJ with more mods

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Online tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 12:58:35 PM »
What a d-bag.

I think the douche bag part is the way he says what he says.  Very condescending and all about what he does is better.  Not about something different he doesn't enjoy or clearly know how to prepare for.

Like trash on the trail and the picture of a beer can...there is trash everywhere unfortunately, not just rock crawling trails.

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 01:37:23 PM »

What a d-bag.

You nailed it, it was all about the tone in the article for me. Also, I experienced some of this attitude in the Vermont Overland trip, particularly from the Rover guys.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 12:27:11 PM »
thanks for pointing out the article. I wouldn't have read it otherwise. I liked the comments better than the article itself. Particularly the one from the editor of Overland Journal. I'm glad I seldom meet individuals such as the author in any of the activities I participate.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 02:46:54 PM »
Good point Jimbo, I went back and read the comments and I think they addressed the issues with the article well, and then the editor comes in and states the obvious as well.

Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline cosimpson

• Visitor
  • Rubi
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 03:32:53 PM »
I wonder if he picked up the trash?
Chris

What is this lever beside my shifter?
2004 TJ Rubicon

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »
I doubt it. He probably expects others to do it. It amazes me wether at the beach or in the woods how people will just walk right past garbage and debris as if someone is coming to clean. I guess I was taught differently but I always try to leave placed cleaner than I found them.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 04:53:43 PM »
The guy doesn't get it.  But then again, he doesn't own the Jeep, work on the Jeep, or have any appreciation for its capabilities. 

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM