BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Favorite Oil Filter  (Read 750 times)

BigJerm

Re: Favorite Oil Filter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 10:03:30 AM »
good find neal! Ill have to read up on this tonight

Offline jneal

• Visitor
    • my rides
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 10:13:39 AM »
its a good read but keep in mind it is 8 years old now. somethings may have changed.
Thanks
J Neal
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jnealg

twitter- arfan

Chris Hyde

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 10:27:45 AM »
Neal is right, stay away from Fram.  Most everone you talk to will agree.

Offline camper

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 12:48:09 PM »
I need to participate some so I can become a little more familiar to y'all.  Someday, maybe I can join a trail ride.  In the mean time, this will add to my three posts count.

About 25 years ago, lots of auto parts manufacturers started being absorbed into large corporations.  As and example, Dana Corporation expanded beyond driveline parts and picked up companies like Victor gaskets, Weatherhead hydraulic fittings, and Wix filters.  Economies of scale type business practices.

Wix filters began in Gastonia, N.C.  Just outside Charlotte.  They were at first principally involved in agriculture equipment.  Oil filters used to be wrapped in cotton "socks" and dropped inside coffee can type housings.  During WWII, Wix got a lot of government work and and after the war, expanded as the automobile industry grew.  They developed and patented the first spin-on canister filter sometime around 1955.  That's now the standard for oil filters.  I believe they became the OE for Ford around then.  I'm sure there are other filter manufactures that have a proud history also.

In my opinion, NAPA auto parts stores usually sell products a notch or two better than most other chain parts store.  And they usually cost  a little more as well.  Early on, Wix signed an aggreement to supply NAPA.  A NAPA gold filter is WIX.  They may also be available at other parts chains....I don't know.

Wix filters have been involved in NASCAR for a long time.  In his glory days, Richard Petty ran with wix filters, as did some other legendary names.  Now Wix and NASCAR are married in a big marketing arrangement and you see their logo an all the cars.  Not long ago, Dana Corporation sold some of it's assets and Wix is now a part of another automotive group.  So who knows how long till they start manufacturing in China. Surveys of independent auto parts countermen have rated their stuff as superior.  None of this is profound.  Just something to add to your site.

I use Wix filters for all the wrong reasons.  I'm a southern boy and they're one of the southern industry success stories.  It just turns out they have a highly regarded product.  I also prefer Coca-Cola.... ;)

wix oil filter 51085...air filter 46081

Steve....'98 TJ sport

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 01:28:37 PM »
Great info! Only Coco-Cola  :D   
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Daniel

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 02:01:01 PM »
Neal is right, stay away from Fram.  Most everone you talk to will agree.

Well sorry guys.  I just changed my oil Sunday and I put a Fram filter on and I'm not crawling back under there to take it off.  Maybe in about 3,000 miles we can talk.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM