BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: New Year, New Year of Wheeling - Are you Ready?  (Read 1345 times)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
New Year, New Year of Wheeling - Are you Ready?
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:31:58 AM »
We have a new year of wheeling ahead of us...are you ready?  I know our first trip out is "just" a Forest Service Road Ride but now would be a good time to make sure you are prepared.

General vehicle maintenance, fluids, brakes etc.  Are you current?

Battery, is it holding a proper charge.  Alternator charging it?  here is a great video:  How to Test a Car Battery with a Multimeter

Been through you first aid kit lately?  If you are like me, at some point during the last year or so you have been in it for something, I pull band aids out if there like candy.  Yours may need to be re-stocked.

When was the last time you used your winch?  Maybe quite some time ago...where is your controller?  Yep, been out with someone who had a real nice winch and when they needed to use it realized the controller was left at home.  Now is a good time to make sure you have your controller handy, that your winch works and give your cable or rope an inspection. 

Other recovery gear? Tree saver, recovery strap, snatch block, d rings you probably have all that stuff right?  When was the last time you used it?  Are you sure that those D rings you pulled out to help the last guy all got back in your bag?  Better check now!

Tool kit/Spare parts. - I was looking for a pair of vice grips in mine last weekend.  I had two, one small one large, both were gone.  How tools magically disappear is a thread of it's own but my vice grips were gone.  Glad I found that out when I could easily go to HD to replace them.  A good practice is to do your maintenance and other work right out of your wheeling tool bag.  That will tell you quickly if you have what you will need.  here is a good thread on that as well:  http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=12676.0

CB - when was the last time it was tuned?  Check all your connections and give your radio a test now...before you get out on a ride and realize something is not working correctly.  Got a bunch of fancy dials and stuff on your radio...Got a  son or grandson that likes to sit in your jeep and "drive"?  Guess what, they have messed with every dial on that radio so you'll want to get those back to the right settings.

Here are GaTR ride gear requirements and camp check list:  http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=2396.0
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:22:16 PM by tcdawg »

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
Re: New Year, New Year of Wheeling - Are you Ready?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:06:42 AM »
If you run wheel spacers when is the last time you checked the torque?
Bobby

Offline Uncle Randy

• Visitor
  • Cherish every minute
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 11:56:09 AM »
thanks guys. I needed that.
Randy
'06TJ
Treekiller

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 10:26:31 AM »
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I was thinking the other day, GATR should do this ride twice a year.  I meet new Jeepers all of the time and they want to get started in the sport, but are also very tentative.  This ride gives people a great understanding of what we do and how their Jeep works.  Maybe even collect $10 per Jeep and pick a charity.  I know it's a lot of work to put on but I'd be happy to help.

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »
We do the forest service ride in January and the newby ride in May on Tray Mtn with the he BBQ at Unicoi. I would be up for doing a Beasly Knob or Chocco run if anyone wants another newb run.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 07:49:30 AM »
Get ready for 2023!
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 01:33:36 PM »
Get ready for 2023!

Yeah! The calendar looks killer! Hopefully everyone on here has a little free time to spend in the woods this year!!
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM