BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: 79 cj5. Is this normal?  (Read 543 times)

Offline tazstoy

• Visitor
Re: 79 cj5. Is this normal?
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 01:19:21 PM »
I think the first one i used was a t4 but I'm on my 2 t176 most of the stock jeep transmission don't hold up to the abuse I have snapped the input shaft on both of my first transmissions I plain on doing the ford t18 swap at some point. The reason I said you will hate is if you drive it on the road much. I like having the extra gear for my tire size and gears I'm running so my rpms are in the normal range while hitting 65 to 70
Todd, Marie  and son goes by Tim or Timothy

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 02:17:39 PM »
Make sure the frame and tub aren't rusted out under it.

^^^ this. Check the tub floor supports and body mount locations. Mine were non-existant, but this jeep looks much nicer than what I started with

Online Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »
Thanks, guys!  I bought a four wheel drive truck for the sole purpose of being able to drive up the mountain to the back side of my house so I could put my firewood back there.  This was about a year ago.  Since then I've been bit by the "wheeling" bug.  Full size, long bed truck with IFS and open/open diffs.  Yea, all the wrong stuff, but we still have a lot of fun.  Living in Hiawasse, we can hit Bell Mountain, Charlie's Creek in the morning then be on the lake by noon!
  I haven't been to a park yet ( missed Gulches). Don't know how my truck would do at a park.
  Like my Christmas  poem said. " I think it's time to get me a jeep"
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »
In my opinion, a full size truck like you described would leave you disappointed at a park. You wouldn't be able to get very far either, depending on the terrain.

*not to say you wouldn't have fun, just not as much fun :)

Online Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 04:32:05 PM »
I think I should go to a park WITH the girlfriend, so she can experience how much fun we are not having,  then say,  "see, that's why we need a jeep".   Ha ha!  She actually already knows,  but really doesn't know what jeeps are capable of.
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 10:51:23 PM »
if you want a good place to take that truck go to windrock and just ride the ridges for a couple days lol, thatl give ya a bug
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 09:07:22 AM »

I think I should go to a park WITH the girlfriend, so she can experience how much fun we are not having,  then say,  "see, that's why we need a jeep".   Ha ha!  She actually already knows,  but really doesn't know what jeeps are capable of.

I was shocked at the jeeps capabilities when I started. I grew up in Louisiana and it was only mud. My Tacoma did great, but I had no idea how much fun the rocks can be. I still get surprised at what my jeep can handle when we get out to the parks.
Jay

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM