BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Optic Armor windshield review  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
Re: Optic Armor windshield review
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 11:55:23 AM »
Just got a reply from the president of OA. Nice guy...

Ben,

Thanks for the review. We certainly appreciate the feedback.
The base material used for Optic Armor windows is polycarbonate. Polycarbonate offers several distinct advantages over glass. It also has a few disadvantages. The advantages of our windows are that they are virtually shatter proof and are much lighter than glass. The disadvantages are that they are not as scratch resistant as glass and are technically not DOT compliant for front windshield use.
We improve the scratch resistance by using the best hard coating on the market today. Even with this hard coating, the windshield is not “scratch proof”. We recommend not running the wipers if abrasive material (mud, sand, etc) is on the window.  The abrasive material should be rinsed. We have found that many off road enthusiasts are more concerned with broken windows from rocks or branches than how the window performs in a muddy environment. We are, however,  working on alternative solutions/materials to address the scratching issue.
Thanks again for your feedback!

Jim Howard

Nice to have the actual pres send a message. Just not too impressed with the scratches in my windshield. I may have to go another route if it continues to worsen over the rides etc.  //:'(//
I've grown tired of this.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »
Yeah its plastic. We haven't found anything as good as glass yet either.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:13:56 PM by Doug »

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 05:22:33 PM »
What about smart phone gorilla glass large sized...a windshield with no scratches.  Doable?

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
What about smart phone gorilla glass large sized...a windshield with no scratches.  Doable?

- Torg

Nope, ever seen how it breaks? it would decapitate you.  Car glass has to be tempered to shatter.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 08:37:49 PM »
Ben ( @Krawler00 ) do you have any updated pictures of the windshield to show the wear and tear?  I'm very close to making a move on my windshield, and this is in the running, pending your feedback/pictures.  Thanks, Crypt Keeper
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 09:03:59 PM »
So far nothing has changed. Scratches are not any worse. I am pleased with it so far. Only major gripe is the rear view mirror shakes while driving because the windshield is flexible so it gets a little vibration from driving. All in all well worth the money and for a trail rig like yours it is the best option.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 09:04:52 PM »
If you want pics I can send you some. But not much to see.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »
If you want pics I can send you some. But not much to see.

Not scratched up too bad?
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 06:55:36 AM »
No. Only scratches i have are fine scratches. If you get mud and silt on it i would try to wash it off before the wipers go to it. But its held up great.

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 07:36:14 AM »

try to wash it off

We're talking about Clark here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 02:07:01 PM »
So it's been some time since the install and things have not been the best with this setup. For one thing the wipers have scratched it up pretty well over the last two years and it appears as though the windshield is begining to break down from the elements. I contacted the company 3 weeks ago and no response. Contacted again today and got a response...

"I am pretty confident that the coating is delaminating as we have seen something like this in the past. If we were to send you a current windshield it could do the same thing this one has done. We are working on finding a new coating that will possibly last longer in the elements. This is not an easy task as when you find a coating that will last longer you sacrifice abrasion resistance and vice versa.

The best option for us right now is to give you an update once we are able to test the new coating. We will keep you posted."

So not trying to be a mooch but now I have a windshield with a cancer like effect growing worse by the month it seems. It was a free windshield for the writeup and advertising but now I am stuck. I am most likely going to remove it and go back to glass and avoid another possible issue and money down the drain in installing another OA windshield. Stinks for sure. Pics show the windshield 3 weeks ago but it has gotten worse and now creeping onto my side. I think it's a great concept but for what we do and the amount of mud, grit, etc that gets on our windshields I will just go back to glass.

Offline Jango

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 02:33:10 PM »
Good update. Hard situation with them it seems.
-Connor (Jango... the D is silent and invisible)

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM