BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Tellico Spring Fling Pictures  (Read 9092 times)

Offline Will

• Visitor
Re: Tellico Spring Fling Pictures
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2008, 09:32:38 PM »
It was one of the llllllllllllooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssstttttttttttttt days on a trail I have ever had! We must have sat on guardrail trail for 3 hours. We hit the trail head around 1:30 and hit pavement around 9:30. It was fun but getting a bit hairy.

Yeah Chris put me to the task of never letting him go back to Tellico when it's raining. I think I may have to hold myself to that as well. It was just way too sketchy and I got stupid with the gas because it was so slick.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Alex

• Visitor
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2008, 09:44:21 PM »
Will i don't see how your rockers dont get eaten up with only those running boards.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »
Will i don't see how your rockers dont get eaten up with only those running boards.

Those are the Mopar stainless steel tubes and they were on the Jeep when I bought it. Rockers have been on the list for awhile and I kinda have been waiting for these things to get ripped off. I've laid them on rocks many times and they just flex and scrape and then go back into place. They're not the best protection and they'll be coming off this summer, but they've actually done a pretty good job and they're not completely useless when it comes to protecting the body. They don't even look banged up and you can see that I've given them hell. Better to leave em on than have no protection at all. I'll have rocker guards this summer though.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Chris Hyde

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2008, 10:29:16 PM »
New rockers will definitely be worth the extra clearance also.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2008, 10:47:04 PM »
It was one of the llllllllllllooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssstttttttttttttt days on a trail I have ever had! We must have sat on guardrail trail for 3 hours. We hit the trail head around 1:30 and hit pavement around 9:30. It was fun but getting a bit hairy.

Yeah Chris put me to the task of never letting him go back to Tellico when it's raining. I think I may have to hold myself to that as well. It was just way too sketchy and I got stupid with the gas because it was so slick.

Will, your Jeep is amazingly capable in it's current configuration, so it must be good driver skills and knowing your ride.  You did a nice job Friday. Sorry to hear about the problem Saturday.  We all do the same thing: push it til we find the "weakest link".  After a reasonable effort, I want to pull a line and move forward with no harm done.

Is there a club "standard " on when to offer or pull out the winch line?

Chris Hyde

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2008, 10:53:21 PM »

Yeah, when you can't go any further.  :D

Offline Xterra

• Visitor
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2008, 10:55:44 PM »

or being guided by a  big azz rut  ;D
2006 Nissan Xterra

1992 Jeep YJ

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2008, 11:53:27 PM »

Will, your Jeep is amazingly capable in it's current configuration, so it must be good driver skills and knowing your ride.  You did a nice job Friday. Sorry to hear about the problem Saturday.  We all do the same thing: push it til we find the "weakest link".  After a reasonable effort, I want to pull a line and move forward with no harm done.

Sometimes it's a pride issue which I really don't fall victim to much. (Mike hooked me on a good phrase at River Rock last time, "Will...  I ain't got nothing to prove this weekend." haha) For instance, as soon as I broke my U-joint I did what I reasonably could to get up the Helicopter bypass and then stopped. Ben turned around at the top and winched me up and I didn't even have to ask. He knew I wanted it as soon as I stopped trying to gas it up the slippery hill.

Then when we had to go down 3 to get off the mountain it was pouring and I heard there was a nasty ledge we had to go down. After dealing with my axle and deciding to leave it out I didn't wanna screw up anything else, so without even seeing the ledge I had already decided to have Chris hook to me from behind and control my descent down a nasty incline.

When time is not an issue and it's all in good fun we like to let people try whatever they feel they're capable of. If you're having trouble guys will almost always offer a winch and you don't have to take it, but most times that's a hint  ;D  When you're holding up 30 rigs like all the guys at Guardrail on Saturday, it's a good idea to just try it a few times and then let a few people by, or else you'll keep a lot of people in the same spot all day.  ::)

I'm usually pretty good with stopping before I break something and bumming a winch line. This time I was just being stupid and pushing my Jeep too hard. I didn't take it easy and try to crawl up a ledge because I watched Chris try that before me and fail so I knew I couldn't do it. I did the only thing that would have gotten me up it in this situation but it was a little too much and I knew better, but lesson learned right?

Thanks for the generous comments! The next time I see those trails I should have about 4 more inches of clearance at the belly, a lot more protection, and my own line to pull  ;D  Jeep season is summer for me. I actually have a little money.  :)
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

RotorHead

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 12:20:27 AM »

That made me laugh. Don't know why, but it was funny to me.

Maybe we should put that in the official handbook.  ;)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »

Will, do you have a specific winch already in mind?  I have a new Smittybuilt XRC8 8000 still in the sealed box and a TJ mounting plate in my living room that I have no use for.  I could bring it to the lake next trip.  pm me.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:50:45 AM by Slippery »

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2008, 11:04:33 AM »

Will, do you have a specific winch already in mind?  I have a new Smittybuilt XRC8 8000 still in the sealed box and a TJ mounting plate in my living room that I have no use for.  I could bring it to the lake next trip.  pm me.

Hey Doug,

Thanks for the offer man! I won't have any money though until this summer when I'm back home in LaGrange and working. I was really wanted to get a Warn (probably the M8000) but I also really like the Superwinch which is on the front of your TJ and Chris' XJ. What mounting plate do you have? I will be needing to grab one of those when I do end up getting my winch. How much would you let them both go for?

Edit: This was meant to be a pm, but it's early for me. ha

PM me the price if you don't mind
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 11:07:25 AM by Will »
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2008, 11:08:43 AM »
It's always an unspoken among wheelers... well most. We all want to come out unscathed and wheel home. But sometimes it does not work that way. It's like driving out on trail 4 at 10:45 at night and you just want off that freakin trail! You push, go faster and forget that you don't have a desert runner to soak up the abuse. The best thing I ever heard a guy say to me was... "God made somebody smart enough to make that winch... you gotta be smart enough to use it".
I've grown tired of this.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM