BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: What do you think of this Jeep? What would you pay? Things to look for?  (Read 276 times)

Offline RedDragonATL

• GATR STAFF
Thinking of joining the dark side...buying a Jeep.  Not sure what plans are for the Runner, but might make the leap....am thinking about a Rubicon TJ and found one that I'm interested in you guys' opinions on.  It's basically a stock '04 automatic Rubicon.  It's at a dealership in Marietta.  Roughly 150k miles...paint looks *cracked* all over, so not sure if it was repainted (poorly) at some point.  Carfax shows 2 wrecks.  They are asking $11,900.  Here are some pics.  What should I ask?  Look for?  Doesn't look like it's been wheeled at all.  Crappy plastic rocker panel and corner guards, but obviously those would come off.  One broke off during the test drive!  Soft top looks pretty new..maybe brand new.  Anybody know a mechanic in the Marietta (Hwy 41) area that could look at engine, etc?  And, if it's a good deal, nobody on here better steal it out from under me!  I will find you!  :D

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:52:24 AM by RedDragonATL »
Jason

I'd like to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

2001 Jeep TJ, Cooper STT Pro 35s, 4.56s, D30 Spartan front, D44 ARB rear,Fender armor, sliders

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: What do you think of this Jeep? What would you pay? Things to look for?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 10:10:27 AM »
Jeeps are high even with high mileage.  $10k would be my tops on that one, but I don't buy a lot of Jeeps any more  because they sell so high.

Offline brentdavis

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:36:53 AM »
Doug is right...  I've been looking at used Jeeps since I got rid of mine...  My guess, if they took it in on trade, is they paid somewhere between $7,600 - $8,725...  That's rough to average trade in...  If they got it at auction they could have picked it up for less than that...  Clean Retail from NADA lists that Jeep at $12,375...  But with two wrecks I would use that as a strong negotiating point...  I agree with Doug, I wouldn't pay over $10K for it (including tax, tag title) but I'd tell them I want to be at $9K out the door, just to see what they say and how bad they want the Jeep off the lot...  I'm still on the hunt for an LJR but most people think those are equivalent to a Ferrari these days, so prices are just stupid...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:38:51 AM by brentdavis »
Brent Davis

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:39:34 AM »
Just for comparison.  LJ with a rebuilt title...

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=38119.0

John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »
that paint is also a huge bargaining chip, thats pretty intensive and expensive to fix correctly and make look right. It would have to be stripped and primed completely on the panels that have the crows feet, thats what we call em.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 03:31:20 PM »
Seems high.  With the 2 wrecks showing  & the paint in its condition:  $9k or walk.
I know a guy who just recently got a 05 TJ Rubicon with 120k miles for $7k.  They were asking $11500.  It too had been wrecked & he pointed that out to them. It was at a "buy here pay here" lot.
Good luck to you.

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 03:47:21 PM »
Here is a 99 TJ 4.0 that I ran across. They posted it up to trade, but put $10k in title.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/rvs/4877545357.html
Jay

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM