BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: 5.3 to 6.0 swap in Tahoe  (Read 790 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: 5.3 to 6.0 swap in Tahoe
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 08:51:17 AM »
You could also stay with the 5.3 and just mod it for some better breathing, headers, intake, cam upgrade. Still be as reliable as today with a bit more get up and go. 

I can't imagine the 6.0 gets the same mileage. I had the 6.0 in my 02 1500HD 4x4 Crew and on a really good day with a tail wind down hill I got 11. Normally it was 9-10 and it didn't change towing or empty. Thus is why I now have a Jeep and traded in the pig. 

If you go performance, you lose the low cost and warranty.  I don't need it for transportation of teenage girlies.

The 6.0 gets better mileage actually everyone is saying because it doesn't down shift on the hills like the 5.3 does in a Tahoe.  I'm sure gearing and weight are factors as well. 

$300 tune is part of it.  Core is another.  Additional cost of motor is another.  Can't justify. 

Wish I could drive both a week and decide. //OLDSKOOL//   

Still thinking 5.3.

Thinking I will get the trans fixed first, and see how the motor is doing over the next few months on oil, etc.  Not a drop under since Allsouth replaced the rear main seal.  Also just did transfer case seals, all O2 sensors, and the intake manifold gasket. 

It DOES still have a cold exhaust manifold leak rear bolt broken off on drivers side.  very common issue with these.  Can't get to it, so motor comes out or head comes off to drill it out. 

I was CRUISING when the tranny gave up 3rd and 4th.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:55:06 AM by Doug »

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »

Still thinking 5.3.

Thinking I will get the trans fixed first, and see how the motor is doing over the next few months on oil, etc.  Not a drop under since Allsouth replaced the rear main seal.  Also just did transfer case seals, all O2 sensors, and the intake manifold gasket. 

This is what I would do Doug.  Tranny rebuilt or replaced and see how the motor hangs...I'll bet it will do just fine. 

I did this same thing with my old Dodge Ram.  Trans went after 180K, the 5.2L motor was a little tired.  Did a rebuilt trans and it rocked on perfect for me until I sold it about 20K miles later.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 07:16:45 PM »
Well, I had decided to do trans only,
but the motor was very low on oil when I went to drive over to Allsouth,
so doing the 5.3 and trans.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM